POP is unwise [was: Being Unsubscribed for Marking Messages as Spam #adminnotice]

Antony Stone

What is unwise about using POP these days?

Antony.

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 15:22:08, Brian Vogel wrote:

Using POP in this day and age is unwise (though that is a separate issue of
its own).

If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
we'd be so simple that we couldn't.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

I'd also like to know.
Also, if is there a way of resetting my Thunderbird profile to use IMAP instead of POP3 but not losing messages I saved on the old profile, someone could please tell me how I can accomplish this?

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 28/02/2019 11:35, Antony Stone escreveu:

What is unwise about using POP these days?

Antony.

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 15:22:08, Brian Vogel wrote:

Using POP in this day and age is unwise (though that is a separate issue of
its own).

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Nothing, pop is no less or more secure than imap, in fact, many would say pop is more secure than imap, since your messages only everlive in one place at a time, and are under your ocmplete control.  Of course, if you want to talk about security issues, then straight pop3 message retrieval certainly isn't secure, but many mail servers setup separate ports with ssl protection for retrieving pop email, and in that case, it's just as secure as any other method of retrieving email, there's nothing inherently wrong with how you retireve your email, whether it's pop3 or imap, it's all about what you need, and what's most convenient.

On 2/28/2019 9:35 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
What is unwise about using POP these days?

Antony.

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 15:22:08, Brian Vogel wrote:

Using POP in this day and age is unwise (though that is a separate issue of
its own).

Richard Wells

What I like about imap is that if you use more than one machine to retrieve messages, you can look at your folder structure from anywhere you are logged into your Email. My personal combination is NVDA and Thunderbird using imap on all accounts.

On 2/28/2019 9:08 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:
[...]

If you are using more than one device to work with e-mail, Pop isn't a good system, at least in a lot of cases.  If you have a crashing problem with your e-mail program, crashes may corrupt messages you download with a POP3 account.  But if your e-mail program is reliable and you are using only one device for mail, I don't see any meaningful advantage to IMAP unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.  I would imagine your sent messages are permanently kept as well.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] POP is unwise [was: Being Unsubscribed for Marking Messages as Spam #adminnotice]

--

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:
unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.
Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

I don't use IMAP so others can answer the question.  But I'm sure you can delete messages if you wish.  As I understand it, you can keep a large number on the server if you wish.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 09:35 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
What is unwise about using POP these days?
1. If you only access your e-mail from one, and only one, device, and wish to be responsible for backing up all the messages that exist only on your device after download, and you wish to be responsible for trying to port a huge number of messages from one e-mail client to another should you choose to change clients then there is nothing unwise about POP.

2.  If you're like most users these days, and you have every intention of accessing your e-mail messages on multiple devices while having what each "sees" remain in sync, then POP as conventionally configured does a horrible job of supporting that while IMAP is designed to support that from the get-go.

3. IMAP messages and all folders associated with same are retained on the e-mail server and, as a result, are part of the data center's daily (if not more frequent) backup protocol.  The probability of ever losing something permanently is exceedingly small.  By contrast, I have seen POP users lose years worth of downloaded messages on several occasions when they were not backing up their own computers and their hard drives failed catastrophically.

The fact of the matter is that POP (Post Office Protocol) was the first e-mail protocol and really is an anachronism that remains supported in the name of backward compatibility.   It's shortcomings are myriad, and particularly when you want e-mail synchronization and portability from device to device to device over time to be almost effortless (you only have to set up the account again if you're using IMAP and - poof, like magic - all of your messages and folders appear).

IMAP is also more space efficient on your own device, because only message headers are downloaded for presentation in the message list in folders, with the exception of the most recent messages, which will often have message bodies downloaded in advance as well for some time period back from today (say, 2 weeks - it's configurable) because the probability of actual accessing of newer messages is far, far higher than old ones.   You can also specify specific messages to retain their local message bodies permanently if you know you make very frequent reference to them so they'll be available even if you're offline.

For the way most people use e-mail these days, including the bulk of folks here, as many describe having computer(s) and smartphone(s) on which they wish to get their e-mail, using the access method suited to it, and that protects the actual message data the best, is what's wisest.  If your e-mail service provides IMAP access, well . . .

If you fit the profile I noted in #1 above then nothing that follows it is relevant to you.  I find it improbable that everything in #1 above applies to practically anyone these days.

[And, before anyone jumps in with, "But you can configure POP to leave messages on the server!," well, yes, you can, but you have to make the effort to do that in the vast majority of cases, and many would have absolutely no idea of how to do so.  Why use an antiquated protocol that must be rigged when a better alternative exists?]

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:
Nothing, pop is no less or more secure than imap
No one has brought up security except you.  I make no claims about the relative security merits, but have already outlined, in great detail, the drawbacks of POP for the way most people wish to access email these days and for the fact that once you've downloaded a message, and it's been removed from the server, you have the one and only copy and it's in the mail store of the client you've chosen to use.

POP is an anachronism, period.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Yes you can. I have about 200 thousand messages on gmail's server and it doesn't really complain at me. You can also clean them up using iMap as well. I use iMap and wish that pop 3 would just go away and die. All the email and attachments are backed up in the cloud and no matter what device as stated you are on you can always get your mail. I lost over 3 years worth of messages once so am not going back to pop3.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:
unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.
Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

Cheers,

Antony Stone

Thanks for the comprehensive clarification of what you meant by "unwise".

I agree that IMAP is better-featured, supports multiple devices more easily,
and places the data retention responsibility on your service provider rather
than you.

I still think this doesn't equate to "unwise", however - POP3 may be more
limited, and it's certainly older (although that doesn't necessarily mean
worse), but as you say, depending on your requirements there is nothing unwise
about POP3.

Thanks again,

Antony.

On Thursday 28 February 2019 at 17:21:06, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

--
I don't know, maybe if we all waited then cosmic rays would write all our
software for us. Of course it might take a while.

- Ron Minnich, Los Alamos National Laboratory

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
depending on your requirements there is nothing unwise about POP3.
But, just for the ease of changing computers when you need to or e-mail clients when you want or need to, even on a single machine, it is unwise.  The amount of work needed (if you want to port your messages, and most do) is immense with POP and virtually non-existent with IMAP.

These are things that a very great many people really don't think about until confronted with it, and then it's far, far too late.   An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I have yet to find a single "plus" to POP in the age of IMAP.  [And I've been around since well before the age of IMAP.]

When something is clearly better when the entire picture is taken into account, it's simply better, and using something almost destined to cause additional work and/or heartache at some point in the unspecified future is unwise.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Rosemarie Chavarria

With my old internet provider, I had a pop 3 account. After I got to a certain amount of messages, my email started bouncing. I don't think people are using pop so much anymore but I could be wrong. I wish pop 3 would go away too.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.

Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

Cheers,

Monte Single

I use pop3.

I have no problems with it.

Sometimes I  been away for a week or more and found a thousand messages waiting on the server.

Works for me.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.

Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

Cheers,

I'm thinking about changing to IMAP. Now if only I could ever find a way to save messages from this Thunderbird profile, I'm sure I'd do it.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:
unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.
Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

Cheers,

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Wishing something would go away because it doesn't fit your definition of what is useful is just plain silly.

If that were the case, then I wish narrator would go away, I whish jaws wold go away, I wish windows would go away.  Hell, I wish microsoft would go away.

\See, it serves no purpose.

There are people who use pop3, and it works just fine for them.  There are definitely use cases where pop3 is a better fit than imap, and there are use cases where imap is clearly the better alternative.  Wishing one or the other would go away is just ignorance talking.

If you don't wish to use it, then don't, but that doesn't mean that others who are fully aware of what they're getting, and do wish to use it shouldn't do so.  I for one much prefer pop3, for several reasons, including disk usage, security, issues, ease of backup, and others.

When folks talk about folks loosing years worth of emails because they used pop3, my question is did those folks ever backup their mail? I'm thinking no.  Sure, it's not the easiest thing to move mail from one email client to another, but you're just as likely to loose all your imap messages if your email provider goes bye-bye as well, and nobody here can tell me that's never happened.

It's six of one, and half dozen of the other, use what works for you, and allow others to use what works for them.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.

Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

100% agreed. Very, very well said, indeed.

Now I definitely would like to know how I can backup my messages. I never did it before just because I never knew it was even possible. Help me with this, please?

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.

Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

Nimer Jaber

In reading all these messages, it seems that this thread is at an impass. I think that Pop is awful, and I think that anyone who thinks that it is worth using is ignoring the reality that it is a terrible standard that leaves too much to chance and causes more trouble than it is worth, yet I read Travis' messages and he seems to find value in it. Either way, I am pretty sure that we have exhausted this topic to death, and at this point it isn't relevant whatsoever to NVDA. Let's try to bring this topic to a close, shall we?

Thanks.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.

Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (658-0358) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Brice Mijares

Do you mean making different folders to save messages?

On 2/28/2019 10:06 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

This probably varies from mail program to mail program, but when using Thunderbird, you can back up almost everything by doing the following.

1.  Close Thunderbird.

2.  From the run dialogue, type %appdata% and press enter.

3.  You are in the roaming folder.  This folder contains all the application data, settings, address book and e-mails from Thunderbird.

4.  navigate to the folder named Thunderbird and when highlighted, press control + C to copy that folder.

5.  Then paste this folder onto a thumb drive, external hard drive or some similar device and you have everything backed up.

6.  Now if for some reason, you need a fresh install of Thunderbird or if you get a new computer and use Thunderbird, you can simply install Thunderbird and navigate to the Roaming folder as described in steps 1 through 3 above and paste the contents of the Thunderbird folder that you have copied into the Roaming folder.

I do this every few days to keep the mail and settings of Thunderbird backed up.

Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Em 28/02/2019 12:34, Gene escreveu:

unless you want a permanent collection of all your received messages off site.

Does it means that using IMAP I won't be able to delete any message?

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"