Chat Solutions for NVDA users

Sam Bushman

Hi All,

I have a huge need to be on a slack / Microsoft teams solution in the corporate world. In fact I am the IT Manager for the company and project.

I know slack doesn’t talk well and Microsoft teams is quite a huge pain to configure and administer.

Does anyone have a great alternative for a slack like system that we can use well with speech and that also works well for the sighted? Needs to support all the common platforms as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks,

Sam Bushman

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

I am not sure if this would be a solution, but could you use a service like whats app, google talk or jabber/XMPP? ejabberd is a decent open source server with clients available for all major platforms. You also have the irc protocol but again I'm not sure if this would cater for your needs.

cheers,

Mo.

On 28/02/2019 21:24, Sam Bushman wrote:

Hi All,

I have a huge need to be on a slack / Microsoft teams solution in the corporate world. In fact I am the IT Manager for the company and project.

I know slack doesn’t talk well and Microsoft teams is quite a huge pain to configure and administer.

Does anyone have a great alternative for a slack like system that we can use well with speech and that also works well for the sighted? Needs to support all the common platforms as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks,

Sam Bushman

Sarah k Alawami

II actually use slack for mac, dunno how it works in widnows but we ave 2 ios users, a mac and windows user who all use slack. What issues are you having?

On 28 Feb 2019, at 13:24, Sam Bushman wrote:

Hi All,

I have a huge need to be on a slack / Microsoft teams solution in the corporate world. In fact I am the IT Manager for the company and project.

I know slack doesn’t talk well and Microsoft teams is quite a huge pain to configure and administer.

Does anyone have a great alternative for a slack like system that we can use well with speech and that also works well for the sighted? Needs to support all the common platforms as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks,

Sam Bushman

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello,
I use Slack for windows, the app, that works quite well with NVDA now.
the developers implemented short cuts for screen reader users: for example typing f6 pops up the list of messages in a chat. You just have to review them with down and up arrows.
Forms mode is automatically enabled when you want to write a message.
You can set Slack to send notifications when a message is coming, when you are directly mentioned etc...
Out of topic: slack also works well with VoiceOver on an iPhone.
At last, if you encounter an accessibility problem, you can contact the support and they respond rather quickly. They are really willing to improve the accessibility of their product.
There is a list of shortcuts that you can see in typing ctrl+/
I hope this helps.
Best
Sylvie

Le 28/02/2019 à 23:04, Sarah k Alawami a écrit :

II actually use slack for mac, dunno how it works in widnows but we ave 2 ios users, a mac and windows user who all use slack. What issues are you having?

On 28 Feb 2019, at 13:24, Sam Bushman wrote:

Hi All,

I have a huge need to be on a slack / Microsoft teams solution in the corporate world. In fact I am the IT Manager for the company and project.

I know slack doesn’t talk well and Microsoft teams is quite a huge pain to configure and administer.

Does anyone have a great alternative for a slack like system that we can use well with speech and that also works well for the sighted? Needs to support all the common platforms as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thanks,

Sam Bushman

Bianka Brankovic <bianka.brankovic@...>

Hello Sam and all,

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Did zoom fix its accessibility issues for nvda?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Bianka Brankovic <bianka.brankovic@...>

Hi Brian,

I found the following but haven't tested it:

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in
GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they
really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick
look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Bianka Brankovic <bianka.brankovic@...>

Hello again,

I wrote:

I have tested with the newest Zoom version.

There is one bug still remaining, namely you cannot review your written text in Zooms chat field

The issues with Zoom messages not being announced and Mute/unmute not being announced apparently have been solved.

Tested with the newest Zoom version, Win 10 and Nvda-2018-4.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

I'd also try writing Zoom's accessibility team as well. I haven't used the chat feature all that much, so can't comment, but below is zoom's accessibility team email.

access@...

below is their ticket system.

http://support.zoom.us/

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I use it often at work and it is fully accessible for me. You got all events announced and you can jump through the different parts of the interface with shortcuts. It even lets you positioning the cursor on the running presentation and NVDA-r (OCR) reads it to you, amazing stuff.

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in
GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they
really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick
look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Even the business solution of Skype  named Skype for business in Office 365 plus is most accessible and easy to navigate

Cheers,

  Ralf

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Sarah k Alawami

Looks like they did. I use zoom on windows almost every day on my youtube streams, in fact I use nothingn but zoom and it's working quite well over here.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 2:43, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Did zoom fix its accessibility issues for nvda?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bianka Brankovic" <bianka.brankovic@...>
the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Sam Bushman

Please tell us how you use zoom with youtube streams.

I use zoom for meetings all the time and yes it does talk quite well. However, chat is kind of hard.

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Sarah k Alawami

Oh, gross! I stay away from skype at least for chat purposes. I use skype only for my job, but that's because I have to If I could use zoom for my job for all of my clients I would. Zoom is just so much easier to use and is not clunky.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 7:55, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:

Even the business solution of Skype  named Skype for business in Office 365 plus is most accessible and easy to navigate

Cheers,

  Ralf

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

Sarah k Alawami

I never use it for chat. Only voice. I can use it for chat, but the beauty is it saves the chat in a folder I can access later, and it reads it to me anyway. If you want to see how, go to youtube.com/marrie125 and browse through the videos I have where you can hear how zoom sounds.

Take care

On 1 Mar 2019, at 8:46, Sam Bushman wrote:

Please tell us how you use zoom with youtube streams.

I use zoom for meetings all the time and yes it does talk quite well. However, chat is kind of hard.

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

If it is group conferencing messaging audio call sending files then Zoom is excellent and does not cost anything if the number of people are under 100.  It works on windows,android and iPhone including in china.  I am not sure about mac but i assume so, same goes for Linux.

Best Adrian Pocock

On 01/03/2019 08:56, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:

[...]

Smiles, I don’t use skype in my private life eiter, but the skype for business is a differentprogram and very accessible.

the last time I tried, Google Meet looked quite good, it’s included in GSuite.

You might want to look into Zoom’s business solutions too.

I have worked with the Zoom client using Mac, Iphone and Windows and they really make an effort to make their app accessible. I just had a quick look at Zoom Cloud Meetings and it looks really good with NVDA.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

is there a tutorial on how to use zoom? with nvda? or a section to guide you on how to use it?

I have never used it.

Gene nz

On 2/03/2019 3:47 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I'd also try writing Zoom's accessibility team as well. I haven't used the chat feature all that much, so can't comment, but below is zoom's accessibility team email.

access@...

below is their ticket system.

http://support.zoom.us/

Sarah k Alawami

Go to tffp.libsyn.com and look for the zoom podcast. It covers the mac client, but the windows client is very very close.

Take care

On 1 Mar 2019, at 11:06, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

is there a tutorial on how to use zoom? with nvda? or a section to guide you on how to use it?

I have never used it.

Gene nz

On 2/03/2019 3:47 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I'd also try writing Zoom's accessibility team as well. I haven't used the chat feature all that much, so can't comment, but below is zoom's accessibility team email.

access@...

below is their ticket system.

http://support.zoom.us/

David Goldfield

Hi, Gene.

Jonathan Mosen offers a tutorial covering the use of Zoom from a blindness perspective, which you can acquire from this link.

David Goldfield, Assistive Technology Specialist WWW.David-Goldfield.Com

Hi

is there a tutorial on how to use zoom? with nvda? or a section to guide you on how to use it?

I have never used it.

Gene nz

On 2/03/2019 3:47 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

I'd also try writing Zoom's accessibility team as well. I haven't used the chat feature all that much, so can't comment, but below is zoom's accessibility team email.

access@...

below is their ticket system.

http://support.zoom.us/

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda