Topics

Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Kwork

I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Try the following website i have not used it for a long time but was very accessible with nvda when i used it. It will do the formats you want and or convert them. I am sure it could ocr 2 in the document and email it back to you.

it can be found at https://www.robobraille.org/

It does the job well. You do not need a scanner.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 1/03/2019 10:52 AM, Kwork wrote:
I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi Kwork

One outstanding piece of software is OmniPage Ultimate.

It also has the ability to convert a document into mp3.

Depends if you want to spend a lot or not, if you are going to use it a lot then maybe or use an android phone using adobe and acrobat apps together which does work well but a bit of a learning curve.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

On 28/02/2019 21:52, Kwork wrote:

Travis

Kwork

Yes. Thank you. That's an option though I'm also for finding a program to do that locally to save the uploading/downloading of files to an external server.

On 2/28/2019 3:06 PM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

Try the following website i have not used it for a long time but was very accessible with nvda when i used it. It will do the formats you want and or convert them. I am sure it could ocr 2 in the document and email it back to you.

it can be found at https://www.robobraille.org/

It does the job well. You do not need a scanner.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 1/03/2019 10:52 AM, Kwork wrote:

Travis

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Kwork

Thank you adrian. I've heard of OmniPage, and remember it being the defacto for many before Finereader came along.

All suggestions are welcome.

Travis

On 2/28/2019 3:13 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi Kwork

Depends if you want to spend a lot or not, if you are going to use it a lot then maybe or use an android phone using adobe and acrobat apps together which does work well but a bit of a learning curve.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Rui Fontes

Abbyy FineReader, OmniPage and KNFB Reader are some of the best options...

Rui Fontes

Às 21:52 de 28/02/2019, Kwork escreveu:

Travis

I have abbyy fine reader, thats 300 australian, and I have the latest upgrades for that, I looked at omnipage though and thats 210 dollars nz just for that.

Is omnipage ultimate worth it, I don't use it much at 500 bucks, I wasn't really thinking of getting that, pluss my brother scanner has paperport with it to.

At any rate, I have spent a few weeks trying to get back my serial from abbyy for my scanner ocr product and I have spent about 600 on synths and and windows addition upgrades on this new laptop I got last year.

To be honest if I could afford it, I'd get the k1000 program, which has everything in it but its probably more than omnipage ultimate.

On 1/03/2019 11:13 AM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Monte Single

Yes, k 1000  is about 1000 u s dollars.

You could buy  2 computers for that money;.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: February-28-19 8:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

I have abbyy fine reader, thats 300 australian, and I have the latest upgrades for that, I looked at omnipage though and thats 210 dollars nz just for that.

Is omnipage ultimate worth it, I don't use it much at 500 bucks, I wasn't really thinking of getting that, pluss my brother scanner has paperport with it to.

At any rate, I have spent a few weeks trying to get back my serial from abbyy for my scanner ocr product and I have spent about 600 on synths and and windows addition upgrades on this new laptop I got last year.

To be honest if I could afford it, I'd get the k1000 program, which has everything in it but its probably more than omnipage ultimate.

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi..

My personal software of choice is DocuScan plus from www.serotek.com. It only costs $299 and supports scanning from cameras, scanners and various file types with output for MP3, BRF and various text formats.

cheers,

Mo.

On 01/03/2019 04:25, Monte Single wrote:

Yes, k 1000  is about 1000 u s dollars.

You could buy  2 computers for that money;.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Heck you could buy an Iphone and use that on things as well.
I guess the future of bespoke solutions is not good.
However nvda can seem to work with most reasonably priced ocrs, its merely finding one that can handle the file format and does have enough intelligence to attempt to make the output readable!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 4:25 AM

Yes, k 1000 is about 1000 u s dollars.

You could buy 2 computers for that money;.

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Can knfb reader import the file types needed if they are pictures and work with them. I see its now on pc if you get it for another platform.
One supposes it self voices, or does it work with nvda.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2019 12:03 AM

Rui Fontes

Travis

Mallard

Brian,

Are you saing that KNFB Reader is now free on pc if you import it from other platforms?

I bought it for Android (never was there a greater waste of money!), and I was told by Support that, if I wanted to install it on Windows, i had to buy a new license. Has that changed now?

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 01/03/2019 11:13, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Can knfb reader import the file types needed if they are pictures and work with them. I see its now on pc if you get it for another platform.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>

Rui Fontes

Travis

Gene

I believe they both have demos.  Omnipage had a bug for years, perhaps more than a decade.  I don't know if it has been corrected.  When decolumnizing two or more columns of print on a page or when decolumnizing two pages scanned as though it was one page, parts of sentences would be misplaced.  Fine Reader never had this bug.  I see no reason to assume that Omnipage is generally better.  It may be roughly equivalent in terms of quality but if that bug still remains, that is a serious detraction, especially since a lot of PDF documents have more than one column that is going to be decolumnized. 

But if both have demos and you try them, be sure you use some PDF documents you know have at least two columns that must be decolumnized.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:30 PM

Thank you adrian. I've heard of OmniPage, and remember it being the defacto for many before Finereader came along.

Travis

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Rui Fontes

Hello!

It opens files jpg, jpeg, png and pdf

It can read automatically the documents or you can read with NVDA.

Rui Fontes

Às 10:13 de 01/03/2019, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>

Rui Fontes

Travis

Hendrik Steyn

I use ABBYY and it works well with NVDA. I use V14.0. Hope this helps.

Hendrik

On 01/03/2019 14:23, Gene wrote:
I believe they both have demos.  Omnipage had a bug for years, perhaps more than a decade.  I don't know if it has been corrected.  When decolumnizing two or more columns of print on a page or when decolumnizing two pages scanned as though it was one page, parts of sentences would be misplaced.  Fine Reader never had this bug.  I see no reason to assume that Omnipage is generally better.  It may be roughly equivalent in terms of quality but if that bug still remains, that is a serious detraction, especially since a lot of PDF documents have more than one column that is going to be decolumnized. 

But if both have demos and you try them, be sure you use some PDF documents you know have at least two columns that must be decolumnized.

Gene

Travis

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Kwork

Good point Gene. I remember that bug now. Your message reminded me of it. Right now I'm leaning more towards Finereader if I do purchase something. Demos are good.

Travis

On 3/1/2019 5:23 AM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Travis

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

Kwork

Yes, tremendously. Thank you.

On 3/1/2019 5:24 AM, Hendrik Steyn wrote:

I use ABBYY and it works well with NVDA. I use V14.0. Hope this helps.

Hendrik

On 01/03/2019 14:23, Gene wrote:

Gene

Travis

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

A lot has happened in 10 years, Omni page has pulled its socks up since and offers some of the best OCR of mixed format text including mixed languages, Chinese included.

Adrian Pocock

On 01/03/2019 12:23, Gene wrote:

Gene

Travis

Hi Kwork

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

Travis