how to know when a thread is locked

ADRIAN POCOCK

I posted to a thread and had a bounce saying it had been locked by mod.

How do we know when a subject had been locked so we do not waist time posting.

Adrian Pocock

Adrian,

          Quite literally, you don't, unless you've read through the topic and the person (moderator or group owner) has stated they are locking the topic.   If you are talking about the POP topic, I locked it and stated that I was locking it in the message I added to it just before doing so.

          That's one of the disadvantages of e-mail lists when it comes to locked topics.  There's no lock icon as there is on the web interface that shows that a topic is locked and no other way to communicate that information other than to state it in a message immediately prior to locking.

          As a general note to the readership at large, when the Group Owner of any group suggests a topic be closed, that should never be taken as an invitation to open a new topic on the same subject.  It's a clear indicator that the subject itself is not felt to be suitable to the venue in question.   Since the NVDA group does have a chat subgroup, and it seems to have picked up some new "regulars" recently, I would encourage those with topics that may be technical, but not tied in to using NVDA in any meaningful way, to start those topics on the chat subgroup.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

ADRIAN POCOCK

hi Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

Do you see the irony ....

Well you have to laugh.

It does seem to be quite a discouraging way of doing things.

Some things are not quite as clear cut as others such as you could say the discussion of social media aps etc is not directly connected to nvda for example.

You mentioned a subgroup, is there just one or are there many and if so is there a clearly labelled list of them and if there is one whats its name.

Best Adrian Pocock

Em 28/02/2019 21:15, ADRIAN POCOCK escreveu:
You mentioned a subgroup, is there just one or are there many and if so is there a clearly labelled list of them and if there is one whats its name.
Hi Adrian,
See this link, it contains all subgroups to this list.

Cheers,

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 07:15 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
Do you see the irony ....
No, but I've seen the problem on every e-mailing list I've ever been on.   Luckily, topic locking is very seldom necessary.

I'm actually kind of glad things have worked out as they did.   This will happen on rare occasion not only on this group, but any e-mailing group (whether groups.io or not) if a topic is locked.

Any moderator or owner should show the basic courtesy to announce a topic is being locked when that occurs so it can be known and that message should show up as the most recent one in an e-mail thread/conversation.

I really doubt I'll end up locking a topic again for quite a while, but I would always state it has occurred in a message immediately before it were to be locked.

The "locked bounce" is an insoluble side-effect in an e-mail list where topics can be locked and where someone attempts to respond after that has occurred.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

ADRIAN POCOCK

hi Marcio

Thank you very much for your reply, very helpful.

I do not do the follow me thing on any social platform, not really into it.

But i did send friend request on Facebook, i do occasionally use Facebook messenger.

All the Best Adrian Pocock. Email ampbeast@...

On 01/03/2019 00:20, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Em 28/02/2019 21:15, ADRIAN POCOCK escreveu:
You mentioned a subgroup, is there just one or are there many and if so is there a clearly labelled list of them and if there is one whats its name.
Hi Adrian,
See this link, it contains all subgroups to this list.

Cheers,

Hi Adrian,
Oh, that's just part of my signature. I'm Glad you sent me a friend request though.
And if anyone wants to do the same, feel free! :)
Em 28/02/2019 21:52, ADRIAN POCOCK escreveu:

hi Marcio

Thank you very much for your reply, very helpful.

I do not do the follow me thing on any social platform, not really into it.

But i did send friend request on Facebook, i do occasionally use Facebook messenger.

All the Best Adrian Pocock. Email ampbeast@...

On 01/03/2019 00:20, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Em 28/02/2019 21:15, ADRIAN POCOCK escreveu:
You mentioned a subgroup, is there just one or are there many and if so is there a clearly labelled list of them and if there is one whats its name.
Hi Adrian,
See this link, it contains all subgroups to this list.

Cheers,

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I just basically sent an email to our new moderator moaning about this as if your email is like mine I never saw his post till after 10 minuets I had seen the thread. I have issues with locking threads but I'll not clutter this group with my opinions post those to the mod if you feel strongly as I do.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I posted to a thread and had a bounce saying it had been locked by mod.

How do we know when a subject had been locked so we do not waist time posting.

Adrian Pocock

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I disagree, but won't post why here.
[...]

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

As mod of my lists I don't an-ounce when a topic will be locked, but all 500 members or so of my lists know me by now and when they see a thread is locked they know to stop posting on said topic(s) I stay in the background mostly but that's ' the way I run things. In fact no one really knows Im mod until I step forward which is so rare it's not even funny.