NVDA release date was Re: [nvda] Easier way to edit exception dictionary?

Mohamed

Najaf, please stop highjacking threads. But to answer your question, NVDA 2019.1 apparently still has some issues that are holding it back, though a beta should hopefully be out in the coming days.

On 3/2/2019 12:05 PM, ( NAJAF . Naqvi ) wrote:
nvda 2019.1 final release date

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Jeff Samco <jsamco@...> wrote:
I have set up a sizeable exception dictionary. If I wish to locate
and edit an entry I find it very tedious to arrow through the list.
Is there an easier method for locating a specific entry? Or, is there
a way to alphabetize the list to facilitate moving quickly through the list?
Thanks,
Jeff

Gene

First, do you, Mohammed know what hijacking threads is?  We don't know.  It is when you use an existing thread to introduce a new and unrelated subject.  Start a completely new thread.  Don't change the subject line and then begin a new thread using the old thread.  Code remains which makes e-mail programs see it as a continuation of the old thread under some conditions.  It also causes the new thread to appear as the old thread in the list archives.

If you don't know how to start a completely new thread, ask here and say what e-mail program you are using and people will be happy to tell you how to do this.  But, as has been said, don't continue to hijack threads.

Najaf, please stop highjacking threads. But to answer your question, NVDA 2019.1 apparently still has some issues that are holding it back, though a beta should hopefully be out in the coming days.

On 3/2/2019 12:05 PM, ( NAJAF . Naqvi ) wrote:
nvda 2019.1 final release date

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Jeff Samco <jsamco@...> wrote:
I have set up a sizeable exception dictionary. If I wish to locate
and edit an entry I find it very tedious to arrow through the list.
Is there an easier method for locating a specific entry? Or, is there
a way to alphabetize the list to facilitate moving quickly through the list?
Thanks,
Jeff

Mohamed

Sorry. It seemed like Najaf had been posting the question several times as replies to different threads, perhaps I was getting the idea wrong.

On 3/3/2019 4:56 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Antony Stone

Er, it was not Mohammed who hijacked the thread. He replied to the question
in the thread previously hijacked by Najaf, and also asked Najaf not to hijack
threads in future. He also helpfully changed the subject line to reflect the
question asked in the hijack.

Regards,

Antony

--
The next sentence is untrue.
The previous sentence is also not true.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Gene

I'm sorry I named the wrong person.  But perhaps my explanation will help Najaf understand what is being discussed.  It can't be assumed that people know what such terms mean, nor can it be assumed that people know how to do what is being asked, since there are people ranging from those with no previous experience with e-mail lists to years of knowledge and experience.

]Gene

--
The next sentence is untrue.
The previous sentence is also not true.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Mohamed

But just for clarification, does that mean my change to the subject line did not actually create a new thread? I'm using Thunderbird, so if that did happen I'd like to know how I can start a new thread and prevent this from happening again.

--
The next sentence is untrue.
The previous sentence is also not true.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

Antony Stone

That is correct - changing the subject line does not create a new thread. It
simply continues the existing thread with a different subject.

To create a new thread, you must create a new email, to the list address
(which is NVDA@NVDA.Groups.IO in this case), with whatever subject line you
require for the new thread.

As a general rule, using "reply" will always continue a thread, never create a
new one, because the information about which thread you are replying to is
carried across into the headers of your reply.

Regards,

Antony.

On 3/3/2019 5:17 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm sorry I named the wrong person. But perhaps my explanation will
help Najaf understand what is being discussed. It can't be assumed
that people know what such terms mean, nor can it be assumed that
people know how to do what is being asked, since there are people
ranging from those with no previous experience with e-mail lists to
years of knowledge and experience.
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.