Wreckless drivers

Brian Tew

I got braille to work with windows narrator, but there is a problem.
In the settings under "choose a default driver for your braille display" there are three possible drivers listed, to wit:
libusb win32 freedom scientific focus 3, 1 of 3
narrator: libusb1.0 freedom scientific focus 3, 2 of 3
focus 3 braille display usb 3 of 3

If I choose the second driver narrator outputs braille, but nvda will not.
If I choose the third driver nvda outputs braille but narrator will not.
What's a poor widow to do? I need both screenreaders to do dots.

Can I somehow get narrator to use the second driver and nvda to use the third driver automatically?
Maybe using the old assoc command (I am comfortable using terminal commands)?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
running windows 10 on a x86/64 desktop.

cisco

hi. you can't do it, yet. you need to evrytime change driver when switching screen readers.

On 3/3/2019 12:26 PM, Brian Tew via Groups.Io wrote:
I got braille to work with windows narrator, but there is a problem.
In the settings under "choose a default driver for your braille display" there are three possible drivers listed, to wit:
libusb win32 freedom scientific focus 3, 1 of 3
narrator: libusb1.0 freedom scientific focus 3, 2 of 3
focus 3 braille display usb 3 of 3

If I choose the second driver narrator outputs braille, but nvda will not.
If I choose the third driver nvda outputs braille but narrator will not.
What's a poor widow to do? I need both screenreaders to do dots.

Can I somehow get narrator to use the second driver and nvda to use the third driver automatically?
Maybe using the old assoc command (I am comfortable using terminal commands)?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
running windows 10 on a x86/64 desktop.

Felix G.

Hi Brian and list,
couldn't have picked a better subject.
It's a known issue and probably applies to all Braille display
manufacturers. Narrator uses BRLTTY for its communication with Braille
displays, and on Windows, BRLTTY requires an alternative LibUSB-based
driver. So right now the only way to use a Braille display with both
Narrator and another screen reader is to switch drivers.
Best,
Felix

Am So., 3. März 2019 um 12:26 Uhr schrieb Brian Tew via Groups.Io
<briantew1951@...>:

I got braille to work with windows narrator, but there is a problem.
In the settings under "choose a default driver for your braille display" there are three possible drivers listed, to wit:
libusb win32 freedom scientific focus 3, 1 of 3
narrator: libusb1.0 freedom scientific focus 3, 2 of 3
focus 3 braille display usb 3 of 3

If I choose the second driver narrator outputs braille, but nvda will not.
If I choose the third driver nvda outputs braille but narrator will not.
What's a poor widow to do? I need both screenreaders to do dots.

Can I somehow get narrator to use the second driver and nvda to use the third driver automatically?
Maybe using the old assoc command (I am comfortable using terminal commands)?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
running windows 10 on a x86/64 desktop.

Brian Tew

Well can you envision an eventual solution to this problem?
You know windows won't do it. How could nvda fix this?
Is anybody addressing the problem?

Brian Tew

Ok, so we have to change braille drivers for each screen reader.
Is there any way to do this quickly like maybe with autohotkey or a .bat file?
Every time I have switched back to nvda it took multiple tries to get the braille going again.
If I could not hear at all nvda would be useless to me.

I've actually posed the questions raised here on the Windows 10 Support Forum on Bleeping Computer.

Someone there will almost certainly know if there's a technique that could be employed to allow an end user to easily switch out a driver at will.  I'll report back when I have some information.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back