NVDA 2019.1 beta 1 available for testing

Quentin Christensen

NVDA 2019.1beta1 available for testing

March 4, 2019 10:10 am

Beta1 of NVDA 2019.1 is now available for download and testing. For anyone who is interested in trying out what NVDA 2019.1 has to offer before it is officially released, we welcome you to download the beta and provide feedback.

Highlights of this release include performance improvements when accessing both Microsoft word and Excel, stability and security improvements such as support for add-ons with version compatibility information, and many other bug fixes.

Although we recommend always reading the full list of changes (linked below), it is worth noting several important changes in regards to add-ons and other custom code:

NVDA will no longer automatically load custom appModules, globalPlugins and braille and synth drivers from the NVDA user configuration directory. This code should be instead packaged as an add-on with correct version information, ensuring that incompatible code is not run with current versions of NVDA. For developers who need to test code as it is being developed, enable NVDA’s developer scratchpad directory in the Advanced category of NVDA settings, and place your code in the ‘scratchpad’ directory found in the NVDA user configuration directory when this option is enabled.

Also, add-ons can now specify a minimum required NVDA version, and the last tested NVDA version, in their manifest. If this version of NVDA is outside of the specified range, NVDA will refuse to install or enable that particular add-on. This version of NVDA will however still allow installing and loading of add-ons that do not yet contain Minimum and Last Tested NVDA version information at all, but upgrading to future versions of NVDA (E.g. 2019.2) may automatically cause these older add-ons to be disabled.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I just downloaded the beta version and it's working great for me. I do get the dinging sound but other than that, it's working great for me.

Rosemarie

[...]

·         Download NVDA 2019.1beta1

·         What’s new in this release of NVDA

·         Please report any issues on GitHub.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Great to hear, thanks Rosemarie!

Yes, the ding sound is played when an error of some kind is written to the log.  It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem for a regular user - and in many cases, having encountered an error, NVDA will try another way to do whatever it was trying to do.  So in many cases there may be a ding, but as a user, you don't notice anything amiss.

If you do find anything not working as it should, however, please do let us know!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Westerland

Hi Quentin. Is there a typo in the title of the NVDA Beta? The update announcement in the NVDA help section says "April 2018 is now available." Should this read 2019? Just checking with you before I download.

Ian Westerland

Great to hear, thanks Rosemarie!
Yes, the ding sound is played when an error of some kind is written to the log.  It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem for a regular user - and in many cases, having encountered an error, NVDA will try another way to do whatever it was trying to do.  So in many cases there may be a ding, but as a user, you don't notice anything amiss.
If you do find anything not working as it should, however, please do let us know!
Kind regards
Quentin.
On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 3:10 PM Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@... <mailto:knitqueen2007@...>> wrote:
Hi, Quentin,____
__ __
[...]
<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.1beta1/nvda_2019.1beta1.exe>____
__·__*What’s new in this release of NVDA*
<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.1beta1/nvda_2019.1beta1_changes.html>____
__·__Please report any issues *on GitHub*
<https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues>.____
-- ____
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager____
__ __
Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now
available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/____
__ __
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>____
Twitter: @NVAccess ____
__
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Twitter: @NVAccess

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

HI Quentin.  I don't know if there are other urgent bugs to be dealt with, but I feel that this beta version is good enough to be gold standard.  The response time, especially when on the web and in file explorer is amazing.  Superb job by the team.

[...]

Hi Ian,

Where are you seeing that? I just ran an old RC build and checked for updates and it says "NVDA Version 2019.1beta1 is available", as does the announcement etc?

If in doubt, you can download the new beta from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-1beta1-available-for-testing/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ian Westerland

Hi Quentin. It is in the NVDA help section "Check for update." in the Help menue. It was a surprise to find it because the last time I checked, there was no update listed. That was on 1 March.

Ian

<mailto:knitqueen2007@... <mailto:knitqueen2007@...>>>

<http://www.nvaccess.org/>____

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Which version are you using?  I just tried with an alpha build from last week but it just tells me that there is a new version, alpha-16874,8573a05b

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ian Westerland

Just downloaded the Beta from the link in your email. Download was fine. The message when download was complete said "April 2018" so there must be an issue at my end. Not sure what that is but I'll do some exploring to find out. The bottom line is that NVDA Beta is working well as others have commented.

Cheers.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Yes using it now as an installed version. I still have alpha on a portable though.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Now I don't get the dinging. I thought it was an issue with an add on?

* <https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.1beta1/nvda_2019.1beta1.exe> Download NVDA 2019.1beta1

* <https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.1beta1/nvda_2019.1beta1_changes.html> What’s new in this release of NVDA

* Please report any issues <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues> on GitHub.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: <http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

Hi, just thought of this, yes I did post my errors to the dev list the other day, but to me they look pretty unimportant in the vast scheme of things, and I'm not getting them on the beta, so it may well be something to do with the portable version and its add ons.
[...]

Nancy Shackelford

When using external synth with NVDA, starting with 2018... I believe
3-something, synth speaks "less than" with any movement of a cursor.
Has nothing to do with punctuation settings.

Thank you,

Nance

Rosemarie Chavarria

I only get it in outlook.

*
<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.1beta1/nvda_2019.1beta1.exe>
Download NVDA 2019.1beta1

*
<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2019.1beta1/nvda_2019.1beta1_changes.html>
What’s new in this release of NVDA

* Please report any issues
<https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues> on GitHub.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

<http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

What external synth? Those are pretty old fashioned and had limited abilities so maybe its just not capable of doing it with the driver in use?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

When using external synth with NVDA, starting with 2018... I believe
3-something, synth speaks "less than" with any movement of a cursor.
Has nothing to do with punctuation settings.

Thank you,

Nance

cisco

for me, the beta is working very nicely.

On 3/4/2019 6:35 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
What external synth? Those are pretty old fashioned and had limited abilities so maybe its just not capable of doing  it with the driver in use?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nancy Shackelford" <n.k.nancelady@...>
When using external synth with NVDA, starting with 2018... I believe
3-something, synth speaks "less than" with any movement of a cursor.
Has nothing to do with punctuation settings.

Thank you,

Nance

Ralf Kefferpuetz

You should only hear it when starting up outlook, right?

Cheers,
Ralf

[...]

Hi Nancy,

You said using an external synth:  Firstly, which one?  Secondly, have you tried without using that to confirm it is related?

I see you created an issue on GitHub last night but closed it?  For the issue template, if you go to: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new?template=bug_report.md
you should get a page with two edit boxes, one for the subject and the other for the body of the issue.  In the body, should be a bunch of "comments" which guide you in what information to include.  Here is the template:

<!--
Please thoroughly read NVDA's wiki article on how to fill in this template, including how to provide the required files.
Issues may be closed if the required information is not present.
-->

### Steps to reproduce:

### Actual behavior:

### Expected behavior:

### System configuration
#### NVDA installed/portable/running from source:

#### NVDA version:

#### Windows version:

#### Name and version of other software in use when reproducing the issue:

#### Other information about your system:

### Other questions
#### Does the issue still occur after restarting your PC?

#### Have you tried any other versions of NVDA?