From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA the miracle of modern assistive technology

Hi all. In 2006, when Michael Currant conceived the idea of developing an open source screen reader to neutralize the high cost of commercial screen readers, and when he and James Teh founded NVAccess, The feeling going around was that sooner or later, this upstart in the screen reader industry would shortly be gobbled up by the more recognized players. Well, Window eyes has gone down the proverbial plug hole. SaraTech and Dolphin has gone almost quiet, and the two left standing proud and tall in the boxing ring is JFW and NVDA. These are the facts, not mere conjecture, and the facts are clear enough to see. Why am I writing this? Financial reward is a big factor in motivating a company to work towards improving a product. However, the demand for immediate rewards can also lead to a product being rushed out in the hope that it will satisfy the needs of the customers as well as filling up the company's coffers. But hope is one thing, delivery is another vital factor. I do not have to revise the recent debacle experienced by the end users of Windows 1809. Jaws is now into it's 2019 version. Yet their new driver is not as stable as it should be and there are complains about it from users and Jaws scripters alike.

And what about NVDA? O yes! NVDA does have it's quirks, No software can avoid that. But there is an almost daily alpha version released that tries to fix reported issues. Then we must not leave out a dedicated community of users who do their very best to help in the form of advise and tutorials, some even dedicating part of their website to put up materials for reference for those who need them. And then there are those from the community who help with NVDA's development, Translators who help translate NVDA itself and it's numerous addons into the many languages, and the addon developers who develop addons that make NVDA more than just a mere screen reader, All these done in their own spare time and without the apparent rewards in dollars. Which reminds me, Is there a clock addon for JFW? Which brings me back to motivation. I did earlier allude to the fact that monetary reward is a big incentive. But you know, humanity can be a bigger incentive than finance. For most blind people, and especially for those living in the poorer countries, just getting a working computer makes a dent in their pockets. Add the cost of a screen reader and the dent could be astronomical. NVDA has provided us from rich and poor regions of the world with another alternative, and that in itself is a modern miracle. And, most important, NVDA, as I said earlier is not just a mere screen reader. It goes way beyond basic screen reading tasks like browsing the web or checking emails or formatting documents. It works seemlessly with programming IDES like visual Studio, and Android Studio, just to name a few, and then musicians use it in association with DAWS like Reaper to make music as a hobby or as a profession, and broadcasters benefit from addons developed for Station playlist studio. I use both Jaws and NVDA, and I had to pay almost 2000 Singapore dollars to get my new version of Jaws. And after all that, I had to pay for some scripts by independent Jaws Scripters to make jaws work with some applications. NVDA is open source and free, it's addons are free, and therein lies the difference.

How then can a thread about NVDA dying be ever posted is way beyond my understanding. Negative posts like this are rather disturbing because it could put a huge dent into the efforts of all concerned with NVDA's development. And one must not forget the extraneous update routines put out by Microsoft which not only affects NVDA but JFW as well. Pardon this long and rambling email, but I felt that I had to pen my thoughts onto paper, as it were, just to remind ourselves that we do owe these people dedicated to ever improving NVDA a huge debt, and to remind us all that as long as this great effort continues, NVDA will be far from dying a slow death or disappearing into the ether. To me, NVDA is, and always will be a modern miracle. Cheers!

Sky Mundell

Hello Jaffer. I agree. However, I do remember on a Main menu interview back in, 2007, which was, 12 years ago, this month, was when Michael and the gang on Main menu had their first main menu live interview. Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell from Serotek talked to him, and one of the comments Michael said that he wasn't planning on putting any of the commercial products out of business and that he hoped all of the commercial products would take a look at what he was doing and put some of the features he had in his product at the time which was 425 into their product. I don't have the link but if you type in NVDA main menu ACB radio live you'll find the interview.

[...]

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

I am sure it was never Michael's intention to put anyone out of business.  His role is to create a free, working product that would benefit all.  And if his cause of action wasn't acted upon by parties concerned, then It is their call, don't you think? Cheers!

On 3/4/2019 10:39 AM, Sky Mundell wrote:
[...]

Oh, no doubt about that Jaffer. By the way. I loved your review on Sonar on Main menu, a long time ago 2001! I still remember that. And your review of cool edit pro too!

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

You forgot narrator, it's an upcoming screen reader but it to me deserves a place in the standing tall category.

On 3 Mar 2019, at 18:37, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Thank you. Eloquently stated. Ditto.
Blessings
Pascal

[...]

ah yes! that is true.

On 3/4/2019 12:20 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Yup. Doug Geoffray and Jeremy curry from what used to be GW Micro are now working at Microsoft now and both of them, along with Jeff bishop, Matt Campbell from Serotek are making Narrator a superb product. I think Narrator is going to have scripting support eventually enabling it to work with proprietary applications.

[...]

Hendrik Steyn <groothendrik.steyn@...>

Hi

I agree with you. I use NVDA 100% of my time on windows. Thanks for these thoughts. This motivates me to somehow learn to write addons for NVDA.

Is the NVDA development guide a good place to start learning or is there some other resources out there?

Kindest and have a blessed day

Hendrik

On 3/4/2019 4:31 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
[...]

Well nvaccess has made sure it can't be taken over, so its a mute point.

visparo can't take over nv access as such which is a good thing.

To be honest, a lot of big guns contribute to the project, ms, mozilla, adobe to name a few, so its not like we are not supported by the big companies at any rate.

Now if only it spread to things like avast, norton, mcafee and other security companies maybe we could have more accessible software, then again, like ccleaner avast would bundle itself with nvda without actually caring about what it did..

A shame really.

On 4/03/2019 3:31 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
[...]

.

Hmmm, maybe.

I wouldn't call narator a screen reader no matter what microsoft says.

Ok, from a total piece of shitty crap gimic its assended to a usefull assistive tool, certainly good enough to be accessible in microsoft programs and where that is concerned thats fine I guess.

Outside it its still a bit hit and miss.

So it could rise to become a screenreader, but I doubt it will, maybe upgrade that from never to be well maybe it will or it won't, I am giving a lot of leeway into what I would define a screenreader to actually be.

One thing I would define a screen reader as not that it can read the screen, but it can cope with a lot of challenges a user may access daily, icons, some graphics, and some nonstandard programs.

Nvda does read things reasonably well, and while it can read most interfaces its strength is the web that includes but is not limited to web based programs.

Fortunately for the end user web interfaces have taken off in the last 5 years.

Everyone has its limitations.

If nvda has any, in terms of limitations they are quite small, its all depending on the imagination of the user chucking out crazy ideas and then a really crazy programmer to make those become reality or it can be the other way round.

Some crazy programmer can chuck his dream at the unsuspecting user and make a real big splash without the comercial fanfare.

To be honest if I was microsoft, I would ditch the crap that was narator, and just buy gwmicro and make it its own.

I mean it had it once but its to late to get what it lost now.

It wouldn't have to do much to keep windoweyes running either and it would be established.

The biggest weakness with dolphin is their either unwillingness or really slo progress in upgrading their internet engine to work with more brousers than internet explorer which microsoft has deemed insecure and crap.

Even before that everyone caught up with well everything else.

Jaws, I don't know you need scripts to run everything, in nvda true you do have scripts nvda is one big script after all.

However in jaws you need to have scripts to even run jaws.

I also have reservations on its licencing system especially for some modules and extras.

I have never used screen access to properly say either or on the subject so I won't, the screen access to go app when it worked was good as far as it was.

To be honest, the only thing microsoft has is this piece of crap called narator which microsoft had a chance to kill completely but didn't.

Why they didn't just buy wineyes when they had a chance is anyone's guess, now they are trying to slowly get back the reputation for crappy narator instead of going with something else.

They are making it harder on themselves to be honest.

Even if narator does achieve status of a screen reader, I don't know.

Nvda is what narator should be right now and its not even close.

On 4/03/2019 5:20 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Well said indeed.
I also note that even though James is working for Mozilla he is still contributing to nvda code as those who wander the vast expanses of github will see, and I thank him for that as well.

It may not be mentioned much and so I thought I would.
Also of course we in the richer parts of the world, though everything is of course relative, can and do send donations to nvaccess when we can.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Probably drifting off topic a bit here, but I do agree having tried to use Narrator in a shop a while ago, nobody in the shop had any idea it actually existed. Until the accessibility train gets so common everyone can see it and use it then we always will have an uphill struggle to use computers.
[...]

Narrator will get there. I see some big changes coming in the next few months to maybe next year. That's all I can say on the matter.
Take care

On 4 Mar 2019, at 0:23, Shaun Everiss wrote:

[...]

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

I think I’m going to subscribe to NVDA Chat. If this subject hasn’t been moved to their yet I’ll comment their. Now back to NVDA already in progress.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Devin Prater

Wow, that's great! With those guys on the team, I'm sure it'll be
amazing. I just wish they didn’t have to rely on BRLTTY, so that Braille
can advance more quickly, and could be there on startup, no install needed.
--
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@...

"Sky Mundell" <skyt@...> writes:

[...]

Lol Shaun, Narrator gets rather good upgrades each release of
Windows. GW Micro cannot be bought, it’s already a part of Vispero or
whatever they’re calling themselves now, VFO before. System Access is
kind of dying off, the need for a fourth screen reader isn’t really
there. Narrator, at this point, has one feature that none of them have
ever had, the ability to "caption" UI elements, usually images or
inaccessible controls, using Microsoft’s Vision AI. NVDA can do OCR, but
Narrator does that and gets a description of the element.
--
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@...

Em 04/03/2019 20:16, Devin Prater escreveu:
Narrator, at this point, has one feature that none of them have
ever had, the ability to "caption" UI elements, usually images or
inaccessible controls, using Microsoft’s Vision AI. NVDA can do OCR, but
Narrator does that and gets a description of the element.
How can one access such feature? I never heard about it, seems pretty interesting!

molly the blind tech lover

I like that feature of Narrator. I wonder if seeing AI will ever be available for windows. That would be so cool 😀

Em 04/03/2019 20:16, Devin Prater escreveu:

Narrator, at this point, has one feature that none of them have
ever had, the ability to "caption" UI elements, usually images or
inaccessible controls, using Microsoft’s Vision AI. NVDA can do OCR, but
Narrator does that and gets a description of the element.

How can one access such feature? I never heard about it, seems pretty interesting!

Agreed!
This seems a dream far away from happening but let's keep dreaming until our dream come true :)