From: "Robert Kingett" <kingettr@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 12:12 PM
Subject: [nvda] Draft view in Microsoft word.

Per a few other blind writers, and the suggestion in the what's new for
the beta, I tried draft view in MS word 2016, Office 365, and it is, in
fact, much speedier to edit documents and otherwise, but the problem I
keep running into is getting word to open in draft view, rather than
print layout view.

I've tried editing the Normal template directly by opening it through
Microsoft word, making changes to it, adding header text, doing all the
writer requirement things for literary markets, switching the view to
draft view after making all the changes, then, saving by hitting CTRL S,
but upon opening a new, blank, document, the view defaults to print
layout view. Does anyone know of another way to always open in draft view?

I've also tried opening the normal template through Microsoft word,
then, immediately switching the view to draft view, then making
formatting changes, then saving the template, but it still opens to
print layout view.

Jonathan COHN

This might be available in the advanced settings of Word. Try the alt-d shortcut once you have the advanced settings open. I am not positive this forces draft mode, but my guess is that it does.

Jonathan

[...]

Giles Turnbull

It is supposed to be settable by going to the main options, ALT+f and then somewhere in the advanced options is a setting that allows documents to open in draft view.

This is the Microsoft info about doing it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/919599/how-to-change-the-default-view-to-draft-view-in-word

DOes it work? I followed it several months ago and all my docs stilll open in print view. It's annoying because I always need to set it to draft view but I haven't found a way that actually works!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :)

Giles

I've enabled the, allow opening in draft views setting, but it does not work. I may have to create a Macro for the normal template that will switch it upon opening it. What sucks is I also found a really great view for dyslexic people, and would be great if Microsoft could let users choose the view they want. Oh well. Could a keyboard only Macro on the normal template work? I'm about to completely switch computers soon to a brand new ACER, so is there a way to back that Macro up in dropbox? Jesus, the things I have to do to have a default view upon open! I seriously don't get Microsoft sometimes. Their accessibility support has utterly ballooned but their usability decisions continue to baffle me.

Karl Smith

What is the purpose of draft view? I have used print view for years and don’t have any problems. I am very curious to know. Thanks.

Karl

__________

Karl Smith
Access Technology Consultant