Reading subtitles in Netflix with NVDA

Mallard

Hello all,

Is it possible to read subtitles in Netflix with NVDA?

I found a great tutorial in Accessibility Central, but can't find any reference to subtitles.

Thanks, stay well,

Ollie

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

when it was written it was more for the visually impaired person. I do know they do sub titles on alot of there shows. I could have a sus for you and get back on what to do. I know with audio description it could be done through the player and i think the settings but may depend if you are doing it on a phone or computer.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2019 4:16 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

Is it possible to read subtitles in Netflix with NVDA?

I found a great tutorial in Accessibility Central, but can't find any reference to subtitles.

Thanks, stay well,

Ollie

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I was lazy but this page will mostly cover what you want depending on the device you use. It also has it for the computer if you use that.

The link to this page is https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372

They also do audio description a lot of people do not know that. Also net flix works with the google mini or smart speakers from them with a chrome cast.

When setup you use your voice to control it like play, resume rewind etc.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2019 4:16 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

Is it possible to read subtitles in Netflix with NVDA?

I found a great tutorial in Accessibility Central, but can't find any reference to subtitles.

Thanks, stay well,

Ollie

Mallard

Hello Gene,

Thanks.

I know how to get around Netflix in Android, although subtitles there aren't very usable.

A friend and I were trying to see them on computers, so I'll have a look at the page you recommended.

I can find audiodescriptions without diffilulties. I'm currently watching The Crown and Black Mirror, plus a couple of Italian series and La Casa de Papel in Spanish, which I'd started watching last year, but now I discovered audiodescriptions, and it's a great thing...

Ciao and thanks,

Ollie

The link to this page is https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372 <https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372>

--
Image NVDA certified expert

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

JM Casey

I don't really know anything about Netflix, and this might not be avilable for some of the new shows there, but it might well be for older ones and movies. I usually just find a file with an .srt extension on the internet, and download it to my braille display device. It's not the best arrangement as the subtitles don't move with the dialogue as they are supposed to, but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it; you just have to focus pretty hard. I'd much rather do this than listen to a synth or a human reading the subtitles, talking over the actual actors in the film!

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

[...]

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following
link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page
contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around
the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

JM Casey

Audio description subtitles are just the worst. Some guy babbling over the actors, sometimes trying to emote, sometimes not. Just, no thanks. 8grins*

Unfortunately, unless you have a braille display, I guess that really is the best option.

when it was written it was more for the visually impaired person. I do know they do sub titles on alot of there shows. I could have a sus for you and get back on what to do. I know with audio description it could be done through the player and i think the settings but may depend if you are doing it on a phone or computer.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2019 4:16 AM, Mallard wrote:

Hello all,

Is it possible to read subtitles in Netflix with NVDA?

I found a great tutorial in Accessibility Central, but can't find any reference to subtitles.

Thanks, stay well,

Ollie

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

All the audio described content i have watched they do it in the quiet parts and do it very well.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2019 9:35 AM, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

That hasn’t been my experience, though granted I don’t watch described movies all that often and so the number of subtitled ones I tried were very small. Some movies simply don’t have enough quiet parts for that to be realistically feasible. Others’ experiences and opinions may of course vary, but if I can’t listen to the actual actors speaking, regardless of what language that happens to be in, I’m out of it.

[...]

Excuse me, but how can you watch a movie or whatever if it's in a language you don't understand?

Ok, you might say you don't watch movies in languages you don't understand, which makes sense.

I'm just like you. I don't like subtitles and I don't like audiodescriptions. I feel they infringe on my imagination... lol

But I others aer not like me, so I think subtitles should be reacheable and readable also for the visually impaired and blind...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 04/03/2019 23:47, JM Casey ha scritto:

[...]

The ones in English are not so invasive, in fact.

In Italian, however, the voices of describers are often too loud and emphatic. And I watched something in Spanish the other day - I think it was Roma - where you even had the describer saying the name of the person speaking during a dialogue, which I found odd, though it might be handy at the beginning of a movie, while you get to know the diffeent characters' voices. I didn't watch the whole movie, so I hope they stopped that along the way.

Ciao,

Ollie

cisco <audiogamer2004@...>

hi. ya, the italian discaibers are often too loud, ifact i don't like audio descriptions.

On 3/5/2019 7:34 AM, Mallard wrote:
The ones in English are not so invasive, in fact.

In Italian, however, the voices of describers are often too loud and emphatic. And I watched something in Spanish the other day - I think it was Roma - where you even had the describer saying the name of the person speaking during a dialogue, which I found odd, though it might be handy at the beginning of a movie, while you get to know the diffeent characters' voices. I didn't watch the whole movie, so I hope they stopped that along the way.

Ciao,

Ollie

JM Casey

HI.
I read the subtitles on a braille display. It isn't automatic so it means I have to really concentrate on followign the dialogue with my ears as well as my fingers even if I can't understand the language. It works ok most of the time, except in some films with so much dialogue that it's hard to keep up.
Granted it's a bit of work and after my former wife and I split up I haven't been watching as many non-english movies. Well, I watch a lot of Spanish and Italian horror and exploitation movies and those often have english dubs.

[...]

Great! How do you read subs on a braille display? Maybe I missed something in your previous message, which I lost... Sorry...

Thanks, Ciao,

Ollie

Il 05/03/2019 22:43, JM Casey ha scritto:
[...]

Yes, you can use NVDA to read subtitles, but browse mode has to be on. If you use focus mode it probably will not work, never has for me, but what you do is enable subtitles, and then make sure all menus on the Netflix player are closed. Also, make sure Flash is completely removed from your computer, as well as silverlight, so Netflix's player defaults to the HTML 5 one. After you turn subtitles on, wait a few seconds. NVDA should start reading the subtitles, but this never works on a consistent basis. Same with YouTube. Although, if you have an Apple device, VO is far better at reading subtitles and even digital text when a movie plays.

Mallard

Thanks Robert.

I'll try this and pass the instructions on to my friend Sergio, who's the one who really wants to read subs.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 06/03/2019 14:45, Robert Kingett ha scritto:

Yes, you can use NVDA to read subtitles, but browse mode has to be on. If you use focus mode it probably will not work, never has for me, but what you do is enable subtitles, and then make sure all menus on the Netflix player are closed. Also, make sure Flash is completely removed from your computer, as well as silverlight, so Netflix's player defaults to the HTML 5 one. After you turn subtitles on, wait a few seconds. NVDA should start reading the subtitles, but this never works on a consistent basis. Same with YouTube. Although, if you have an Apple device, VO is far better at reading subtitles and even digital text when a movie plays.

JM Casey

Hey.

I go on the internet and find a file with an extension .srt that is a a text-based subtitle file. You can find them for a great many movies, but probably not newer netflix stuff. There are databases online that contain loads of them, and also if you download a movie in a compressed format like .avi or .mkv and it doesn't contain hard-coded subs, it will likely come with an .srt file.
Transfer the.srt file to your braille display device of choice and you're good to go. The files do contain time codes that don't help you much when reading via this method, so unless someone comes up with a way to actually make use of them (say, to get the display to advance automatically when there is dialogue spoken), you'll just have to skip past them, or maybe use a programme like notepad++ to strip them out of the file altogether.

Again, this method is far from perfect as it requires extra focus that even a sighted viewer/reader would not have to undertake, but it's the best method I've found for my personal use. I've only found myself frustrated a couple of times, mostly with some french films where everyone is always talking. Haha