NVDA and Editing Tools, What Works?

David Russell

Hi NVDA Group,

I am considering two editing tools for my writing avocation. My
primary Word Program is Jarte; I do have MSWord, 2013, but find it
clunky or clumsy if you prefer so do my writing in Jarte.

FireFox 60 is my browser and I am using a 2018 version of NVDA, love
it and donated to the cause!

Is either Grammarly or ProWritingAid of more benefit to NVDA user?
Does it beep or make an audible tone when perhaps presenting word
choice options?
I have used ProWritingAid online and email the editing report to
myself. It does help me improve!
Thanks for the opinions in advance.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Brian's Mail list account

I would say that word may be clunky at times, but it shows page breaks and numbers them and can do tables better than Jarte can. It also allows you to set headings etc and do all the formatting once you get used to it.
Myself, it is horses for courses. If I want a quick and dirty program for a passable result, Jarte is fine, otherwise its Word.
I do not consider Libra Office quite there yet with its read all problems and some other issues that stop it being easy to use for us.
If anyone has other solutions that work well with NVDA though I'm sure we are all ears.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I am considering two editing tools for my writing avocation. My
primary Word Program is Jarte; I do have MSWord, 2013, but find it
clunky or clumsy if you prefer so do my writing in Jarte.

FireFox 60 is my browser and I am using a 2018 version of NVDA, love
it and donated to the cause!

Is either Grammarly or ProWritingAid of more benefit to NVDA user?
Does it beep or make an audible tone when perhaps presenting word
choice options?
I have used ProWritingAid online and email the editing report to
myself. It does help me improve!
Thanks for the opinions in advance.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi
David Russell

I just revisited open office as i to tend to use jart a lot and dont really like modern officeword.

They must have done a lot since i last tried it, its really good now and good alt text description.

Regards Adrian Pocock.

On 05/03/2019 09:25, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

David Russell

Brian's Mail list account

But can you read a whole document yet? Certainly Libra seems not to have that capacity with nvda due to the problem of nvda not knowing the difference between a blank line and the end of the file.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I just revisited open office as i to tend to use jart a lot and dont really like modern officeword.

They must have done a lot since i last tried it, its really good now and good alt text description.

Regards Adrian Pocock.

On 05/03/2019 09:25, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

David Russell

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi Brian

Open Office seems great now and I wish I had tried it more frequently.

The issue you mentioned is sort of right, if you use a laptop nvda and a will read continue sly for 3 pages but if you hit the keys again it read the final 3 pages of my word docx file which included many elements tables,graphics,text boxes and standard text.

I feel this is a good quick way to produce and read documents without having to take an exam like modern word for those new comers especially.  The Alt text explanation is great its meaningful and doesn't assume a lot of prior knowledge.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 06/03/2019 14:21, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.I wrote:
But can you read a whole document yet? Certainly Libra seems not to have that capacity with nvda due to the problem of nvda not knowing the difference between a blank line and the end of the file.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "ADRIAN POCOCK" <ampbeast@...>
I just revisited open office as i to tend to use jart a lot and dont really like modern officeword.

They must have done a lot since i last tried it, its really good now and good alt text description.

Regards Adrian Pocock.

On 05/03/2019 09:25, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

David Russell

David Russell

Hi Group,
This is for any writers among the group.

In doing self-editing of fiction, I have found ProWritingAid is
probably the best going, but requires one to perhaps go to their site,
enter, and post your edit there. It's doable and works but a bit time
consuming to use.
To keep this brief, what do you use for self-editing?
Can you rely solely on NVDA to have the program work for you?
Thanks for the help.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Hendrik Steyn <groothendrik.steyn@...>

Hi Adrian

The open office you're talking about: is it apachi or lebreOffice? I am asking, because I am a bit confused between the two of them.

Thanks in advance and have a blessed day

Hendrik