Topics

Firefox and Extensions' section

Hello folks,
I'm getting a strange behavior from Firefox.
I'm not sure when or where it actually has started, bu I have a feeling that it started after the last update I got.
The fact is, I can't hear NVDA saying anything but "unknown" when navigating through the options on the extensions' section.
So, anyone else having this issue? Is there I can try to solve it?
Things I've tried so far:
Restoring Firefox
Updating NVDA
Restarting the computer
Still, none of these atempts gave me any result.

Thanks in advance :)

Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook

Kwork

Strange. All is working here on the Extentions dialogue in Firefox.

Firefox: 65.0.2 (64-bit)

Windows 10: 1809, 64-bit.

NVDA: 2019.1beta1

Travis

On 3/5/2019 6:25 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello folks,
I'm getting a strange behavior from Firefox.
I'm not sure when or where it actually has started, bu I have a feeling that it started after the last update I got.
The fact is, I can't hear NVDA saying anything but "unknown" when navigating through the options on the extensions' section.
So, anyone else having this issue? Is there I can try to solve it?
Things I've tried so far:
Restoring Firefox
Updating NVDA
Restarting the computer
Still, none of these atempts gave me any result.

Thanks in advance :)

Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook

You are lucky, seriously. Miss my old Firefox times where everything was just a joy.
Em 05/03/2019 23:16, Kwork escreveu:

[...]

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi marcio

Have you tried using a portable version to see if it is your present install or nvda not functioning properly.

There is a additional add-on for nvda for extra support for Firefox and thunderbird.

You could also try creating a new user for testing per pose and see if problems still occur.

I personally do not have any problems in the ext section by tabbing and using basic arrow keys.

If any of this helps, hope you resolve this frustrating issue.

Adrian Pocock.

On 06/03/2019 01:25, marcio via Groups.I wrote:
Hello folks,
I'm getting a strange behavior from Firefox.
I'm not sure when or where it actually has started, bu I have a feeling that it started after the last update I got.
The fact is, I can't hear NVDA saying anything but "unknown" when navigating through the options on the extensions' section.
So, anyone else having this issue? Is there I can try to solve it?
Things I've tried so far:
Restoring Firefox
Updating NVDA
Restarting the computer
Still, none of these atempts gave me any result.

Thanks in advance :)

Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook

Hi Adrian,
I haven't tried anything you said. I'd like so much to try, though.
Assuming this suggestion would be for the browser, how can I create a new user in Firefox?
Also saying about a portable version, do you suggest me trying it with NVDA or also with the browser?
Thank you so much for the time trying to help me out :)

Cheers,
Marcio
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 06/03/2019 00:55, ADRIAN POCOCK escreveu:

[...]

Firstly

You could use a portable version of Firefox but they are out of date and would not reflect your current version.

Secondly let me clarify I didn't mean new Firefox profile in your current user on windows.

I meant a new window user account for testing, what you do there would be seperate to your original setup.  This would allow you to gradually start from scratch, start just with narrator which i just tested and it works with the extensions part of Firefox, enough to give basic navigation.

You might have to also install a fresh Firefox.

Try running it without any additional addons just to see if all is well with the world.

Then if everything is working install nvda without any addons and test it.

Note    When people say to install a fresh copy of Firefox in your current user Firefox leaves a file relating to various settings and if you dont uninstall Firefox before installing new copy it will use these files and if they are corrupted in some way your problems can continue or even get worse.

Firefox also has a cache it uses which becomes larger over time and which also can cause problems, you can clear it, this is how

Do read this carefully because its best to keep your logon info for sites intact unless you have kept info about them somewhere else.

Also if you do create new windows user set it to admin, turn any updates in Firefox off to preserve functionality to serve as a backup if things go wrong in your usual user account.

Another good idea is to create a portable copy of nvda on a memory stick to preserve a functional version to fall back on.

Bounce an email back if you need any help as we all need a hand from time to time.  Or skype me adrian.mark.pocock

Also please give me an idea if you are navigating purely by audio or audio and magn, the reason i ask this is so i can tailor my help to your needs as i might do something different to someone else as i you both together.

All the best Adrian Pocock

On 06/03/2019 04:51, marcio via Groups.I wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Do you mean the bit where you select the type of add on, ie thems extensions etc?
If yes then I have the same issue. Its stuck on themes, and says three of 7 but only four themes are seen and in the bit for selecting other types of add on it just says unknown.This seems to be in the latest version of Firefox which looks like 65.02 to me.
Windows 7.
No idea why, as the rest of the browser seems OK. Perhaps there is a bug in the very latest update?

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>;

[...]

Gene

I doubt portable versions are out of date.  I got a version shortly after quantum came out which was current then and, though I don't use firefox much on my Windows 7 machine, it has often told me updates are available.  What do you base the statement that it is out of date on?

Gewne

[...]

Hi Gene

Refer to https://superuser.com/questions/1193104/firefox-says-its-up-to-date-while-it-is-not

So not necessarily so in some cases.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 06/03/2019 14:57, Gene wrote:
[...]

I don't know enough about that site to evaluate its reliability.  However, I've seen things on it, I don't recall what now, I don't look at the site much, that I thought were questionable.  I find it hard to believe that firefox would have such a general problem and I haven't seen, in my experience, that the portable version is behind the actual release version.  The current portable version is Version 65.0.2 from portable apps and I assume that the portable apps version checks the portable apps site when determining if a download is available.  The current version of nonportable Firefox is Firefox Standard Release
65.0.2.  That is according to what ismybrowser.com which looks like a reliable site to me.  those who wishh can verify this elsewhere, probably on the Mozilla download Firefox page where the current production release is downloaded.  Portable Apps is a site with a good reputation and I'm very skepticle that they let firefox portable get behind.

I just looked at some of the information in that forum discussion.  I'm not sure what the person is saying about using the launcher and not automatically updating.  I put the program on my machine using the download link.  I didn't install the launcher as a separate program.  I have reliably been informed when an update is available.  I have the program set to inform me and not automatically update.  I have been able to update the program by telling it to update.  The procedure is exactly the same as when using the installed version.  Either the information is inaccurate or it is someones experience that didn't install the program using the standard download link, but in some other way.

[...]

Yes that's exactly what I'm referring to.
And you are right, all the other parts of the browser seems alright.
So let's hope in case it's a bug in the latest version that it'll be fixed soon. I miss my old Firefox!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 06/03/2019 11:36, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

Do you mean the bit where you select the type of add on, ie thems extensions etc?
If yes then I have the same issue. Its stuck on themes, and says three of 7 but only four themes are seen and in the bit for selecting other types of add on it just says unknown.This seems to be in the latest version of Firefox which looks like 65.02 to me.
Windows 7.
No idea why, as the rest of the browser seems OK. Perhaps there is a bug in the very latest update?

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21@...>
[...]

Sue J. Ward

Hello. I am getting the same thing and I also noticed it was occurring in the previous version so whats going on here? I even cleared out the cookies and cash along with the history entries and am still getting this. I guess for now I have to use the tab and shift tab to get around this annoying bug. I am also getting the same thing on my other windows 10 machine. Maybe the NVDA add on for Thunderbird and fire fox needs to be updated? I just don't know. Maybe when the new version of nvda comes out those issues will go away. Just my thoughts.
Drink 1 Cup Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c8036c0290a636bf3b6bst01duc

It appears that the "most official" version of Firefox Portable, which tends to follow on the heels of the latest release very quickly, can be found here:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

There are a couple of sources where Firefox gets repackaged in portable form, but I didn't notice one on the Mozilla.org site.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Not knowing what add-ons someone has, or what vintage they may be, I would definitely encourage anyone using NVDA with add-ons to get the Add-On Updater add-on, which is getting more and more comprehensive about the add-ons it can keep updated.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

I haven't tried the add-on yet, although I doubt it will help in any way since perhaps it's not updated according to the latest Firefox.
Of course they might not have time to catch up with the updates as soon as they're released, so it's understandable.
Anyway, as I've said, miss my old Firefox!

P.S.: Should I stop posting to this thread or since somehow it's about NVDA that's ok to keep it up?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 06/03/2019 18:08, Sue J. Ward escreveu:

 Hello. I am getting the same thing and I also noticed it was occurring in the previous version so whats going on here? I even cleared out the cookies and cash along with the history entries and am still getting this. I guess for now I have to use the tab and shift tab to get around this annoying bug. I am also getting the same thing on my other windows 10 machine. Maybe the NVDA add on for Thunderbird and fire fox needs to be updated? I just don't know. Maybe when the new version of nvda comes out those issues will go away. Just my thoughts.
Drink 1 Cup Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5c8036c0290a636bf3b6bst01duc

Marcio,

         At this point I'm allowing for "farewell tours" for topics already well underway.   I appreciate your thoughtful consideration.

         That having been said, this topic is about NVDA being used with Firefox, so it would certainly qualify for main group.  Were a conversation about Firefox and all its various settings be wanted, but not because there's any NVDA related content of significance about that, the chat group is the place to start it.

           The question I'd like people to ask themselves before choosing main versus chat is:  Does what I'm about to discuss involve using NVDA to accomplish a task with some program or NVDA settings to control NVDA itself?    If the answer is yes, then go for the main group, and if it's no then go for chat.

            You really can't discuss NVDA or any other screen reader without it being directly linked to accomplishing a task with other software.  Screen readers are tools that are "dead assets" unless you're using them with something else.   But you can go on for days about other software, with barely a mention of NVDA, and that's what belongs on the chat subgroup rather than the main group.

           There can be no 100% purity in either venue.  But the thrust of a topic is pretty clear even before it starts in most cases.  The LaTeX topic being a perfect example.  Since it's used with a text editor there will be very little NVDA related content when discussing LaTeX.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm not sure, but I think the version before that one worked correctly. Somebody needs to make a ticket on the Firefox bug tracker or it can be put on the nvda one if you want, and maybe Jamie can advise as he was on there the other day trying to understand a different issue in Firefox, I noticed.

This though is a Firefox issue as it was working before.

I only went there to check prompted by this thread, and as has been said, I knew it was working earlier.
Incidentally which version of Windows is everyone using, windows 7 or does it not matter?

Its a minor issue but annoying nonetheless if you want to add or look at what other add ons are installed.