O T, windows update

The Gamages

Hello,

My a pologies for the off topic message, but has anyone had a similar experience as I am having at the moment.
Several weeks ago I got a message purporting to come from Microsoft asking me to free up space for a new update which was larger than normal, I chose to be reminded later, since then the message changed to a choice of “pick a time”or “remind me later”, now it is saying either “restart now” or “wait an hour”.
So far I have not allowed this update, has anyone else had this experience, it seems a different procedure to earlier updates, by the way I have version 1803 at the moment.
Thank you for any comments and advice.

  Best Regards, Jim.

Chris Mullins

Hi

This will be the update to Windows 1809 which I installed last week and prior to that I had similar messages.  This is what is known as a feature update and is different to normal updates as it creates a Windows.Old folder containing the previous Windows version, which gives you the option to revert back to the previous version if you want.  The Windows.Old folder on my system is just over 8Gb in size and I suspect the message about making space available you are getting, relates to having enough disk space to accommodate this folder.  Windows.Old will automatically deleted after a few weeks, giving time for you to get used to the new Windows version.

Your system may have attempted to update to 1809 but doesn’t have sufficient disk space available.  Have a look in  Settings (Windows+i), Update and Security, Windows Update then tab to “View Update History”.  You should be able to check what is happening in there.

Cheers

Chris

My a pologies for the off topic message, but has anyone had a similar experience as I am having at the moment.

Several weeks ago I got a message purporting to come from Microsoft asking me to free up space for a new update which was larger than normal, I chose to be reminded later, since then the message changed to a choice of “pick a time”or “remind me later”, now it is saying either “restart now” or “wait an hour”.

So far I have not allowed this update, has anyone else had this experience, it seems a different procedure to earlier updates, by the way I have version 1803 at the moment.

Thank you for any comments and advice.

  Best Regards, Jim.

Antony Stone

Is there a way to tell the system "I know I don't have enough disk space for
this backup folder, but I want you to do the update anyway, without creating a
backup"?

Antony.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The
Gamages via Groups.Io Sent: 7 March 2019 11:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

The Gamages

Hello Chris,

Thank you very much for that re assurance, it is much appreciated.
Are you having any problems with the new version? my needs are not very complex.
I have loads of disc space available, so it may have been just a generic message, and I did block it from the start.
I know this is a bit off topic, but others may benifit from your explanation.

Best Regards, Jim.

My a pologies for the off topic message, but has anyone had a similar experience as I am having at the moment.

Several weeks ago I got a message purporting to come from Microsoft asking me to free up space for a new update which was larger than normal, I chose to be reminded later, since then the message changed to a choice of “pick a time”or “remind me later”, now it is saying either “restart now” or “wait an hour”.

So far I have not allowed this update, has anyone else had this experience, it seems a different procedure to earlier updates, by the way I have version 1803 at the moment.

Thank you for any comments and advice.

  Best Regards, Jim.

Brian Tew

Yes I had this. I eventually gave in, lay back and thought of king and country as it updated.
Windows was weird and clunky before the update; I can't tell any difference.

I deal with Windows 10 constantly, and this is the first time I have heard of this sort of messaging at all (and it interests me).

But if you have questions about anything Windows 10 related and want to ask it among a community of screen reader users, then consider joining the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group:

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

The Gamages

Hello Brian,
Thank you, I did realise that it was off topic for the NVDA list, I have now subscribed to the w10 list, thank you for your tolerance.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 3:37 PM

I deal with Windows 10 constantly, and this is the first time I have heard of this sort of messaging at all (and it interests me).

But if you have questions about anything Windows 10 related and want to ask it among a community of screen reader users, then consider joining the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group:

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Hi,

This is the owner/head list representative of the group Brian is talking about.

I see that some of you are trying to subscribe to that group, and are sending a message to the posting address. If you do really wish to subscribe to Win10 list, the correct address is:

Win10+subscribe@win10.groups.io

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 3:37 PM

I deal with Windows 10 constantly, and this is the first time I have heard of this sort of messaging at all (and it interests me).

But if you have questions about anything Windows 10 related and want to ask it among a community of screen reader users, then consider joining the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group:

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Chris Mullins

Hi Jim

I am not experiencing any significant issues.  NVDA reads out some extraneous text items when I access the Settings App, for which I posted a message on the NVDA list.  Apparently the text items are something to do with Active Directory parameters and do not affect everyone who moves to 1809.  They are a bit annoying but don’t affect the use of the settings app in any way and there is probably a way to get rid of them but they’re too insignificant to bother about really.

Cheers

Chris

My a pologies for the off topic message, but has anyone had a similar experience as I am having at the moment.

Several weeks ago I got a message purporting to come from Microsoft asking me to free up space for a new update which was larger than normal, I chose to be reminded later, since then the message changed to a choice of “pick a time”or “remind me later”, now it is saying either “restart now” or “wait an hour”.

So far I have not allowed this update, has anyone else had this experience, it seems a different procedure to earlier updates, by the way I have version 1803 at the moment.

Thank you for any comments and advice.

  Best Regards, Jim.

Chris Mullins

Hi Anthony
I don't know of a way to do this via the windows update route but you can upgrade Windows via other methods. For instance you could use the Windows Media Creation tool to create installation media and do a clean install. This will also get rid of bloatware which is on your system and free up some disk space.

Have a look at this article which looks at various methods of updating Windows:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/overcoming-windows-10-upgrade-and-version-update/682df9cf-aecf-4d52-8df7-19e9f8dba4cc#Main

Cheers
Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The
Gamages via Groups.Io Sent: 7 March 2019 11:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Jim,

Not a problem.  All I wanted to do was to make you aware of the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group.

If or when you have a "heavy duty" question regarding Windows 10 we're there for you (I haunt those halls and am a moderator there, too.)

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

If it says restart now then its done the update.

running disk cleanup by searching for disk, selecting disk cleanup and hitting control shift enter and then cleaning up all the temp and windows update files will help but it seems like windows eventually fixed itself so if it wants you to restart then its ready to be restarted and update is installed so do that.