Topics

Reviewing the screen, help

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Hi all,

Using NVDA in Windows 10:

When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Howard

Hi,
I also couldn't figure out a way of reading the information presented on the screen.
As a workaround, if you want, you could try what follows:
1. Being on the prompt, press "ALT+Spacebar"
2. Up/down arrow until you find "edit" and press enter
3. Up/down arrow until you find "select all" and press enter.
You've just selected all the content which is on the screen at this point.
4. Press "ALT+Spacebar" again
5. Up/down arrow until "edit"
6. Up/down arrow until "copy".
You've just copied what you selected. Now all that content is on your clipboard.
7. Open Notepad and paste the content there so you can read.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 07/03/2019 22:58, Howard Traxler escreveu:

Hi all,

Using NVDA in Windows 10:

When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Howard

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

after cmd

type command such as dir followed by > symbol and a name of text file in the same directory. for example dir > clip.txt this will output the output to the text file and not the console, and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 08/03/2019 01:58, Howard Traxler wrote:
Hi all,

Using NVDA in Windows 10:

When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Howard

Hi,

This is where review cursor commands are useful (object review will do).

Cheers,

Joseph

type command such as dir followed by > symbol and a name of text file in the same directory. for example dir > clip.txt this will output the output to the text file and not the console, and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 08/03/2019 01:58, Howard Traxler wrote:

Hi all,

Using NVDA in Windows 10:

When I "run" the cmd command I get the system command prompt. Then I type in a command such as DIR or shutdown followed by slash question mark.  I get a screen full of command line switch options but I can't figure out how to get NVDA to read them to me. Probably one of the review modes, but I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Howard

In a Command Prompt window, if I hit CTRL+Home it takes me back to the beginning of the command prompt session and starts reading from the line that gives the Microsoft Version (which is the first line and keeps on going).

That being said, if you really want to review the output of a command where you've used the slash question mark switch, it's much easier to redirect the output to a text file so that you can open that in Notepad or the text editor of your choice to review at your leisure.

For example, in a command prompt session, if you enter the following:

DIR /? > %HOMEPATH%\Diroptions.txt

the file Diroptions.txt will exist under C:\Users\{your user}.  When you open command prompt, you're already sitting in your HOMEPATH folder.  If you want you could also specify:

DIR /? > .\Diroptions.txt

and Diroptions.txt will be in the very folder you're sitting in when you run the DIR command (provided you're somewhere you have permission to write to).  You technically don't even have to have the period and backslash before the text file name if you want it to be placed in the same folder where you're currently sitting.

If you want to put the manual pages for more than one command into a single text file, use the redirect, >, operator for the first command output, but for all the other ones you want tacked on after that use the append, >>, operator instead.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

All this doesn't teach people how to review the screen and if you are going to use the Command prompt to any extent, you need to know how.  I hope those who know more about this will write more.

it appears to me that if you are in object navigation mode, you can use the regular review commands, numpad 7, 8, 9, move left by line, read current line and move right by line, to review what is on the screen.  4, 5 and 6 are left one word, current word, right one word.  1, 2, 3, are the same but by character.

If you want to move to the top of the navigator object, use shift 7.  To move to the bottom, use shift 9.  In the command prompt, the entire screen is one single navigator object.  So shift 7 moves you to the top of the screen and shift 9 moves you to the bottom.

To move to the beginning of a line, use shift 1.  To move to the end, use shift 3.

I believe these commands work when expected in the DOS prompt but I've only tried them a very few times.  But all these methods of piping output to a file, while useful at times, are really often ways to get around basic knowledge of NVDA, which is useful in many contexts, not just this one.

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 10:14 PM

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene,

          You could be correct, but I can speak from experience that if I really need to review the output of command prompt commands I always redirect to log files simply because it's so much easier to review these in a text editor and they are "non-volatile" while screen output is gone the moment you close the window.

           I would advise anyone, whether developing batch files, or doing commands live in command prompt, to use redirect and append commands, including the redirection of STDERR if needed, to a log file or log files.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

I also redirect on the mac as it is so much easier to read the output later that way I know what went wrong especially for stuff that will take hours to complete and I for example have a screen session.

Take care

On 7 Mar 2019, at 20:57, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene,

          You could be correct, but I can speak from experience that if I really need to review the output of command prompt commands I always redirect to log files simply because it's so much easier to review these in a text editor and they are "non-volatile" while screen output is gone the moment you close the window.

           I would advise anyone, whether developing batch files, or doing commands live in command prompt, to use redirect and append commands, including the redirection of STDERR if needed, to a log file or log files.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Or.
command >command.txt
Where command is the command including switches, that you want in the text file. The file will be in the folder used by the prompt, though of course you can force it elsewhere in the normal ways, but remember quotes if you are using long names.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Hendrik Steyn

Hi Gene

This is also how I do use NVDA's object nav and review modes. I use CMD a lot and it even works on UBUNTU CLI on windows.

Have a blessed day

Hendrik

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 10:14 PM

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

I was not sure this was a server only cmd, I guess you could then just review what is on the clipboard without pasting it using one of the nvda add-ons.

Would i be right in this assumption.

Also would you know how to use a batch file just to play a short clip, such as the system uses to give audio feedback for things like critical stop etc, without console output and close out.

Just a thought.

All the best Adrian Pocock.

On 08/03/2019 04:14, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Thank you Marcio.  It sure does work; Although it's quite a lot of stuff to do when it used to be so easy.

On 3/7/2019 8:18 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Another problem I have is in the results of a search; should I enter a search in "this PC", the results come out in a list which I can read by down arrow.  The first down arrow tells me the file name and all its details.  When I review the line it only says the name; no details.  Any further results down the list only say the name.  I think I don't know how to read the details again and maybe even spell.  I'm just not quick enough to catch it all the first time.  As I go down the list of (sometimes) very many names, I might find one that I wish to know the location.  Can't figure it out.

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 10:14 PM

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

Well the use of redirection to either the clipboard or text file has been a mainstay since the first pc and used by most users of cmd especially those not used of it to learn, the hint was in the original post when they mentioned the use of ? after a command which gives help on that command in terms of all the switches you can use.  You can also type help > txt file to get help on using cmd.  Also you could use a text file convert it to mp3 to learn on the move.

Do not be shackled by one way or another, we are all different after all.

Regards Adrian Pocock

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 10:14 PM

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

But what if the person wants to read screen output for other reasons in real time?  In addition, what I am discussing is basic NVDA knowledge, how to review the screen.  It may have uses for the person outside of the DOS prompt.  It is one of the early sections in the NVDA manual.

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 10:14 PM

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
and i think there was a cmd to place it on the clipboard but its slipped my mind.
Adrian, I was typing about redirection and append commands at the same time you wrote your message.  You are correct about the clipboard. You just use the pipe command with the word "clip" after it, e.g.,

                              dir /? | clip

and the output goes straight to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Rui Fontes

1 - Insert+2;
2 - Insert+6 untill you get the field you want...

All keys are from NumPad.

Rui Fontes

On 3/8/2019 6:42 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep./*

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:14 AM, Gene wrote:
But what if the person wants to read screen output for other reasons in real time?
Then they need to learn the commands to do so.   No one has tried to shut down conversation regarding those.

The two needs are not mutually exclusive and most people responding, including myself, were responding based upon the original poster's message which clearly implies, by the presence of the /? switch, that they were trying to review manual pages for various commands.   For that particular task dumping same to a text file for careful poring over is, without doubt, the best way to go.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Exactly. So no need to bring the regular context of screen reviewing here. Just the way to do it in the terminal which is the way I've done it for years, and frankly it's just easier. I can pipe my windows update stuff out to a text file and look later. No need to do with the object stuff when I don't need to.

On 8 Mar 2019, at 7:37, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:14 AM, Gene wrote:
But what if the person wants to read screen output for other reasons in real time?
Then they need to learn the commands to do so.   No one has tried to shut down conversation regarding those.

The two needs are not mutually exclusive and most people responding, including myself, were responding based upon the original poster's message which clearly implies, by the presence of the /? switch, that they were trying to review manual pages for various commands.   For that particular task dumping same to a text file for careful poring over is, without doubt, the best way to go.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Thank you folks for this discussion.  I can figure out how to dump my command output to a file (did that lots thirty years ago in the DOS days); But now I think I just have to learn about object and screen review modes.  Thnaks.