LAPTOP VS DESKTOP

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do that in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

The simple answer is, "Yes."

Either command set should work regardless of the mode set as the default.  People have discussed "mix and match" here on many occasions when they find the shortcut sequence from "the other layout" easier for a few things they do frequently.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Mohamed

Yes, numpad and other desktop layout commands still work in the laptop layout.

On 3/8/2019 10:27 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do that in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Gene

Why not just use the desktop layout since you have a numpad on the computer?

Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 9:27 AM
Subject: [nvda] LAPTOP VS DESKTOP

If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do that
in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Gene

As far as the answer to the question is concerned, what happens when you do use the numpad when using the laptop layout?  I just tried it in my very old version of NVDA and the numpad seems to work in the same way with either layout.  But I still wonder why you want to use the laptop layout with the numpad instead of the desktop layout with the numpad.

Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 9:27 AM

If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do that
in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Thanks, I'm sure glad.  I use the lapktop layout here on my desktop because I can do some stuff without taking my hand off the home row.  I sure do need to learn about the review modes; I can't seem to get them to work.

On 3/8/2019 9:32 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

The simple answer is, "Yes."

Either command set should work regardless of the mode set as the default.  People have discussed "mix and match" here on many occasions when they find the shortcut sequence from "the other layout" easier for a few things they do frequently.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

But some, perhaps many, desktop layout commands don't.  For example, the desktop read to end command doesn't work in the laptop layout.

Yes, numpad and other desktop layout commands still work in the laptop
layout.

On 3/8/2019 10:27 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
> If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
> screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do
> that in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

just like to keep my hands on the home tow as much as possible

.

Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 9:27 AM

If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do that
in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Tyler Spivey

You can use most desktop commands when set to the laptop layout, but not the other way around.
However, whatever commands you don't like you can customize easily.
For example, I have a layout optimized for terminal navigation based around the home row.

On 3/8/2019 7:42 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thanks, I'm sure glad.  I use the lapktop layout here on my desktop because I can do some stuff without taking my hand off the home row.  I sure do need to learn about the review modes; I can't seem to get them to work.
On 3/8/2019 9:32 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The simple answer is, "Yes."

Either command set should work regardless of the mode set as the default.  People have discussed "mix and match" here on many occasions when they find the shortcut sequence from "the other layout" easier for a few things they do frequently.

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep./*

          ~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/

Sarah k Alawami

As already stated by most of us who do this it is much easier to keep our hands in one place. I hate waisting 2 seconds which can by the end of the day lead p to minutes with moving my hand from where it is to the num pad. So for me I use the laptop layout on all desktop keyboards.

Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 9:27 AM

If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do that
in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Gene

Are you saying you want to learn the review mode using the Numpad?  I'm not sure what you want to do in terms of reviewing  the screen.  There are different ways of reviewing.

Do you already know commands such as numpad 7, 8, and 9?  The manual is fine for learning such commands but when you get into object review, a tutorial may well be more clear and understandable.

there is also screen review, which is similar to the JAWS cursor and which you can learn easily.  object review isn't as intuitive.  If you want to start with screen review and the simple review commands such as numpad 7, 8, and 9, let us know.  If you want to learn object review, list members can suggest resources.

Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 9:42 AM

Thanks, I'm sure glad.  I use the lapktop layout here on my desktop because I can do some stuff without taking my hand off the home row.  I sure do need to learn about the review modes; I can't seem to get them to work.

On 3/8/2019 9:32 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The simple answer is, "Yes."

Either command set should work regardless of the mode set as the default.  People have discussed "mix and match" here on many occasions when they find the shortcut sequence from "the other layout" easier for a few things they do frequently.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

It also really doesn't matter.   Each command set will work regardless of what the default layout happens to be set to.

Set your default as preferred and use the odd command from "that other layout" as is convenient.  If ever there were no need to justify one's personal choices, this would be it.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:51 AM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
You can use most desktop commands when set to the laptop layout, but not the other way around.
That depends entirely on whether you go in to settings, keyboard, select modifier keys and choose to check the checkbox for CAPS LOCK along with INSERT and NumPad Insert when you're using the Desktop layout.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

That's because it's a key conflict.  in the laptop layout, nvda plus down arrow is read next line.  The default layout always takes precedence when there's a key conflict.

George

On 3/8/2019 9:43 AM, Gene wrote:

But some, perhaps many, desktop layout commands don't.  For example, the desktop read to end command doesn't work in the laptop layout.

Yes, numpad and other desktop layout commands still work in the laptop
layout.

On 3/8/2019 10:27 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
> If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
> screen reading commands using the numpad?  It seems like I could do
> that in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Kevin Cussick

nvda and the letter a will read to end. if I have misunderstood sorry.

On 3/8/2019 3:43 PM, Gene wrote:
But some, perhaps many, desktop layout commands don't. For example, the desktop read to end command doesn't work in the laptop layout.
Yes, numpad and other desktop layout commands still work in the laptop
layout.
On 3/8/2019 10:27 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
If using laptop keyboard on a desktop computer, can one still issue
screen reading commands using the numpad? It seems like I could do
that in JAWS; but I can't decide if it works here in NVDA.

Brian's Mail list account

Which brings me to the point that if you have a lot of custom keys set as well and both sets active it cramps the style for any new function that might come along in the core of nvda.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-