Topics

NVDA questions

Teri McElroy <shimzin.lists@...>

Hi

I've just joined the list and am hoping someone can help with a couple of questions.

Later this year I'm studying a course where I need to be able to read phonetic/phonemic symbols.

Does anyone know if it is possible to alter NVDA in the same way as I have been able to do for Jaws? I want to be able to have NVDA speak back phonetic/phonemic symbols to me and name them correctly. This is specific to linguistic studies, and does not refer to the words such as "charley" or "delta" NVDA uses to clarify which letter is being announced.

It would also be helpful if I could have NVDA display these symbols in braille with my braille display.

I have a list of unicode symbols and what they mean. Is there a way I can  add the list of symbols to my selected speech engine so NVDA will announce the symbols correctly, and to the braille tables as well?

Also, if I run NVDA portable, can I still use Eloquence as my prefered speech engine?

Part of the course has a teaching component and I need to use the computer in the classroom at Tech. It would make things much easier if I could use portable NVDA on a thumb drive with Eloquence.

Thanks for any help with this.

Teri

Claire Potter <claire.potter99@...>

Hi Teri, I can't answer your first question unfortunately, but for your second one, the answer is yes. You can run Eloquence on NVDA portable, just make sure that when you're making the portable copy you check the box to copy user configurations, that's what I do and it works for me.

Claire Potter
Potter's place, where technology comes to life!
www.pottersplace.me.uk
NVDA Certified Expert 2019.

On 9 Mar 2019, at 06:13, Teri McElroy <shimzin.lists@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I just saw this email since I was catching up with all of the emails I got today.
Although this email has been sent quite earlier, it seems there wasn't any answer.
I'm making it come up again hoping someone could help this time.
So, anyone, please? :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 09/03/2019 03:13, Teri McElroy escreveu:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Does it also not mean that any computer you use must have had the Eloquence voice installed for use with external programs though?
I do not understand the phonetics bit, but it has been asked here before so maybe a search through the archives might bring something up.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On 9 Mar 2019, at 06:13, Teri McElroy <shimzin.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

There is reference to what you are looking for, but it will require you to manually add things to nvda.

Click here https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html and search for custom and phonetic.  Help for Braille is also in the manual.

Regards Adrian.

On 10/03/2019 04:01, marcio via Groups.I wrote:
[...]

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions.

Adrian, that was exactly what I needed to find. I am now going to try inputting the 44 english phonemic symbols I need and I think that will do the trick.

I'm glad I can still have a portable version of NVDA which will make life easier in class.

I'm still not sure about whether I can run Eloquence though. If I have purchased the eloquence engine, can I have this on my thumb drive too with the portable version of NVDA or does it have to be installed on the machine. If it does have to be on the computer itself, maybe I can make do with one of the other ones there already like Nathan.

I've still got some testing to do here.

Thanks again.

Teri

Teri,

          As someone with a master's in speech-language pathology (which involves a lot of "linguistics lite") I think I know what you're requesting.  There are a number of questions, issues, though.

          Am I safe in presuming that the text you need read phoneme by phoneme will be written using the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)?   If so, are you using a specific IPA font, as that can matter.  I know that Doulos SIL is a popular open-source font that supports the full IPA (even though most of us really don't come anywhere near to using the full IPA, diacritics and all, unless we're linguists, and often not even then).

          I am presuming that the word "sash", for example, would be written as three phonetic characters that you wish to have read as, ess AE-vowel esh

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Teri McElroy <shimzin.lists@...>

Hello Brian

Yes, I will be using a specific font, and the international phonetic alphabet. Maybe I should take this off list and email you privately unless there are other linguists on list who might be interested and would want to use NVDA to read phonemes to them. In which case they might benefit from the discussion. In the meantime, Brian, I'll email you off list.

Thanks.

Teri

On 12-Mar-19 11:52 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Teri,

          As someone with a master's in speech-language pathology (which involves a lot of "linguistics lite") I think I know what you're requesting.  There are a number of questions, issues, though.

          Am I safe in presuming that the text you need read phoneme by phoneme will be written using the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)?   If so, are you using a specific IPA font, as that can matter.  I know that Doulos SIL is a popular open-source font that supports the full IPA (even though most of us really don't come anywhere near to using the full IPA, diacritics and all, unless we're linguists, and often not even then).

          I am presuming that the word "sash", for example, would be written as three phonetic characters that you wish to have read as, ess AE-vowel esh

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep./*

          ~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi anyone who picks this up, Teri McElroy escreveu: wanted some info.

Here it is.

I have installed a portable version of nvda with Nuance Vocalizer expressive 1.1.1.

Then removed the thumb drive.

Created a new windows user without nvda installed.

Put the thumb drive back and started nvda from it,the synthesiser works and any add-ons etc.

Hope this answers your question further.

Regards Adrian Pocock

On 10/03/2019 11:14, adrian wrote: