Threaded emails view in Outlook

Tony Malykh

Hello all and especially Brian Vogel,
I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using Control+Up and Down arrows to prevent the threads from autoexpanding.
That works at first glance, but here is the problem I ran into. Supposed I am initially at the very first email in the list. I press Control+Down a few times until I find the right email that I want to open. Suppose that's just a single email, not a thread. However, when I press Enter on it, Outlook would open the very first email in the list, not the one that I selected using Control+Down arrow. It feels like there are two types of cursors there and Control+Down is moving the wrong type. So how to open the right email? Is there perhaps a keystroke to sync these two cursors?

I was trying to do it naive way - Once I'm on the right email with Control+Down, I would try to press up and then down, but then again, because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Tony

Rui Fontes

Have you tried to press spacebar to select the message?

Rui Fontes

Às 17:48 de 09/03/2019, Tony Malykh escreveu:

I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using Control+Up and Down arrows to prevent the threads from autoexpanding.
That works at first glance, but here is the problem I ran into. Supposed I am initially at the very first email in the list. I press Control+Down a few times until I find the right email that I want to open. Suppose that's just a single email, not a thread. However, when I press Enter on it, Outlook would open the very first email in the list, not the one that I selected using Control+Down arrow. It feels like there are two types of cursors there and Control+Down is moving the wrong type. So how to open the right email? Is there perhaps a keystroke to sync these two cursors?
I was trying to do it naive way - Once I'm on the right email with Control+Down, I would try to press up and then down, but then again, because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Tony

While we're at it, I press enter on an email in Outlook, and it doesn't immediately open. I have to press enter twice.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Malykh
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2019 12:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Threaded emails view in Outlook

I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using
Control+Up and Down arrows to prevent the threads from autoexpanding.

I was trying to do it naive way - Once I'm on the right email with
Control+Down, I would try to press up and then down, but then again,
because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Tony

Rosemarie Chavarria

I think I've had to so that too.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Saturday, March 9, 2019 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Threaded emails view in Outlook

While we're at it, I press enter on an email in Outlook, and it doesn't immediately open. I have to press enter twice.

I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using

because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Tony

Gene

When you move in a list with control and a movement key, you are not changing what is selected.  If you have the first message in the list selected, it remains selected.  that's true in any standard list, of files, for example,  When I move through a list of files, at times, I keep control pressed because I can get speech feedback much more quickly as I move through the list.  When I get to the file I want to open, I release control, then up and down arrow to return to the file I want to open.  With control no longer held, the file that is now selected is the one I have just moved to and pressing enter opens it.  You can try the same thing with e-mails. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2019 11:48 AM

I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian
Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using
That works at first glance, but here is the problem I ran into. Supposed
I am initially at the very first email in the list. I press Control+Down
a few times until I find the right email that I want to open. Suppose
that's just a single email, not a thread. However, when I press Enter on
it, Outlook would open the very first email in the list, not the one
that I selected using Control+Down arrow. It feels like there are two
types of cursors there and Control+Down is moving the wrong type. So how
to open the right email? Is there perhaps a keystroke to sync these two
cursors?

because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down
doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other
suggestions?

Thanks
Tony

Gene,

Beautiful description of the general case when it comes to lists.  I often tell my students that when they land in a list and on the first item that they cannot and should not assume it's selected.  A quick down then up arrow ensures that it is.

As you said, CTRL plus up or down arrow allows list traversal without selection occurring, which is precisely why individual conversations do not open when you're running through the list.  The default behavior with Outlook is the moment a conversation is selected it will be auto-expanded (which can be turned off, but it's not by default).

If you know you've landed on a conversation that you wish to review the messages contained within, then select and expand it and use regular up/down arrow as you go through it.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Jason White

You can turn off the auto-expansion of threads in the mail options of Outlook.

I find threaded view easier to use in Outlook for Mac. I know that doesn't help NVDA users though, but in case any of you have a Mac and an Office 365 subscription, it's worth trying.

On 3/9/19, 12:48, "Tony Malykh" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of anton.malykh@gmail.com> wrote:

I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian
Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using
That works at first glance, but here is the problem I ran into. Supposed
I am initially at the very first email in the list. I press Control+Down
a few times until I find the right email that I want to open. Suppose
that's just a single email, not a thread. However, when I press Enter on
it, Outlook would open the very first email in the list, not the one
that I selected using Control+Down arrow. It feels like there are two
types of cursors there and Control+Down is moving the wrong type. So how
to open the right email? Is there perhaps a keystroke to sync these two
cursors?

because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down
doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other
suggestions?

Thanks
Tony

Tony Malykh

Brian,

I have View ribbon > show messages as conversations > Conversation Settings > Always expand selected conversation unchecked, yet Outlook still keeps autoexpanding conversations. Am I doing something wrong? As a result Up arrow / Down arrow trick doesn't work for me.

On 3/9/2019 11:21 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene,

Beautiful description of the general case when it comes to lists.  I often tell my students that when they land in a list and on the first item that they cannot and should not assume it's selected.  A quick down then up arrow ensures that it is.

As you said, CTRL plus up or down arrow allows list traversal without selection occurring, which is precisely why individual conversations do not open when you're running through the list.  The default behavior with Outlook is the moment a conversation is selected it will be auto-expanded (which can be turned off, but it's not by default).

If you know you've landed on a conversation that you wish to review the messages contained within, then select and expand it and use regular up/down arrow as you go through it.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Tony Malykh

This is exactly what I was looking for, it works! Thanks for the tip!

On 3/9/2019 10:13 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Have you tried to press spacebar to select the message?

Rui Fontes

Às 17:48 de 09/03/2019, Tony Malykh escreveu:

Thanks
Tony

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That is one of the reasons I never used Outlook. Not sure what that is about.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2019 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Threaded emails view in Outlook

Thanks
Tony