locked OT: Stascom 2019 is available for download

Christo de Klerk

Hello all

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo

Ron Canazzi

For those of us who have never herd of it, you might want to tell us what it is.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

ADRIAN POCOCK

Hi

There is no real description of what this program is for.  So as not to waste peoples time with something they are not interested in.

Regards Adrian.

On 10/03/2019 11:45, Christo de Klerk wrote:

Hello all

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo

Antony Stone

The link already given points to a page which lists the features of this
application. They seem to be quite varied.

Antony.

On Sunday 10 March 2019 at 12:55:27, Ron Canazzi wrote:

For those of us who have never herd of it, you might want to tell us
what it is.

On 3/10/2019 7:45 AM, Christo de Klerk wrote:
Hello all

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities
by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been
released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who
have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can
download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo
--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

- C A R Hoare

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

And he has kindly put the website's link in his message.  There shouldn't be any excuse as the info  is just a click away.

On 3/10/2019 7:58 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi

There is no real description of what this program is for.  So as not to waste peoples time with something they are not interested in.

Regards Adrian.

On 10/03/2019 11:45, Christo de Klerk wrote:

Hello all

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Unless you are reading off line of course which some third world users often do.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

A lot of these can be done with nvda add ons, though the prevent mute might be of interest if a stand alone package, given the mess sighted people ooften leave our machines in in just a ten second useage!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo

Tyler Wood

And he has kindly put the website's link in his message.  There shouldn't be any excuse as the info  is just a click away.

And what, prey tell, would clicking that link bring me to? An unknown link for a program I have never heard of, that nobody else is saying anything about?

Sorry, but at least a general description, even if copy pasted from the website, would be very helpful in an instance like this. I don't just click links willy nilly, regardless where they may originate.

Em 10/03/2019 08:45, Christo de Klerk escreveu:

To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try.

I'd like to give it a try, but how I can give something a try if I don't know what something is about?
At least a short description, please :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Antony Stone

Please, read the previous replies in the thread.

Antony.

On Sunday 10 March 2019 at 20:36:45, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Em 10/03/2019 08:45, Christo de Klerk escreveu:
To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a
try.
I'd like to give it a try, but how I can give something a try if I don't
know what something is about?
At least a short description, please :)

Cheers,
Marcio
AKA /Starboy/
--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

I've read all the replies and can't find out what it is about until now.
Can you please quote me one of them with this information?
My bad, I'll pay more attention next time.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

On Sunday 10 March 2019 at 20:56:11, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.

- Daniel C Dennett

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Kwork

LOL, without a description to want me to click on it, no go. There needs to be some description, even a headline style one liner. Since there isn't, I've already spent too much time on this subject.

Besides, if not NVDA related, this should have been posted to chat in the first place, not here.

Travis

On 3/10/2019 8:24 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

[...]

I agree. That's what one would say when asking someone to click on something that would install a virus on a system.

Travis

On 2019-03-10 10:24 a.m., Jaffar Sidek wrote:

[...]

That's because there hasn't been so far. I won't click without some sort of info as it could be a virus alert.

Travis

On 3/10/2019 12:56 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

You know, if you're going to recommend something, you really should explain why you're recommending it.  Telling folks to go look it for themselves is kind of counterproductive.  If you're not willing to let folks know why you're recommending something, then in my opinion, you shouldn't be posting for folks to go try it out.  It's common courtesy to let folks know what something is when you're putting in a plug for others to use it.  I'm a bit irritated with folks telling us to try this, or download that without letting us know what it is that they want us to download or use.  I've been on lists where such messages recommending downloads without explanation as to what is being recommended would result in banning, because nobody has time to go research each and every link somebody posts just for the hell of it.  Also, with just a link there's no way to know if the link is real or some sort of spam link that will fill your pc with viruses.  I find nothing wrong with folks asking what something is before they take the time to click on it, especially these days when a single click can infect your pc with malware or leave your pc in an unbootable state.

On 3/10/2019 11:24 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

And he has kindly put the website's link in his message.  There shouldn't be any excuse as the info  is just a click away.

On 3/10/2019 7:58 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi

There is no real description of what this program is for.  So as not to waste peoples time with something they are not interested in.

Regards Adrian.

On 10/03/2019 11:45, Christo de Klerk wrote:

Hello all

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo

Tyler Spivey

Can you back up the statement that a single click can leave your computer infected with malware? If there's a vulnerability in the major browsers, it should be fixed pretty quickly.

Here's the info from the webpage that seems most important:
Program features
• Battery status on laptops is reported automatically while disconnected from charger,  while charging, or both. The notification intervals  are configured in the Configuration Manager. As can be expected, this feature and associated  options  are hidden on desktop computers;
• Contact Manager, including  yearly customisable audio and text birthday reminders for listed contacts. Alert options are either audio and text, text only, or disabled. If set to audio and text, the audio alert will be repeated after 15 minutes (by default), if a reminder is not acknowledged. The interval can be changed to  half hourly, hourly, or disabled in Configuration Manager. This module is mainly for the benefit of users who do not have access to a smartphone, or possibly those who prefer the flexibility and simplicity of the Stascom alternative. The current version does not feature importing contacts from an external file source such as csv;
• Reminder Manager with audio and text alerts, with optional repetitions on a future date. Audio alert sound can be changed if desired. The same customisable options as with birthday reminders, are available. See above;
• Calculate day of the week for any date between 1 January 1601 and 31 December 9999;
• Maximises application windows automatically. Window title exceptions can be specified ;
• Prevents mute status on default sound card automatically. Recovery volume is configurable;
• Low volume correction on default sound card (disabled by default). Minimum and normalise levels are configurable;
• Two schedules and output percentage for automatic volume adjustment can be specified (disabled by default);
• Password Generator, creating a unique, very strong 10 character password with each keystroke. Generated password can be copied to clipboard optionally;
• Time announcements on the hour,  half hour and  quarter hour. Individual hours can be specified, or disabled altogether.  Custom audio chimes are optional if preferred over the included sound clips;
• Accented and other special characters  can be easily inserted with hot keys;
• Alphabetical list of 51 Windows applications and settings quickly accesseible with a hot key;
• master volume level increased / decreased   by 5% with hot keys, ascending / descending tones to indicate the volume adjustment;
• Word count for selected text in commonly used editors and browsers, with an option to place the result on the Windows clipboard. This feature is not supported in some editors and e-mail clients with non-standard cursors. The results are more accurate than in most similar packages, as it ignores all punctuation and special characters;
• Program configuration can be reset to installation defaults;
• Report generator, providing a summary of program settings and system information in HTML format for easy navigation;
• Choice of three sets of modifier keys to use with Stascom hotkeys. A bypass key suspends Stascom hotkeys for five seconds.

On 3/10/2019 1:39 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
[...]

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Gene

I might be able to find specific examples, but instead, I'll simply point out that things aren't patched immediately.  Also, there have been instances where people go to sites with malicious third party advertising that has infected their machines.  Whether a patch is issued in a week or three isn't relevant.  Its already happened.  And this problem has been written about in major media outlets.  I saw an article in the New York times about it a few months ago.

If someone is going to recommend something, they should give some idea of what it is.

Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2019 3:42 PM

> [...]

> recommended would result in banning, because nobody has time to go
> research each and every link somebody posts just for the hell of it.
> Also, with just a link there's no way to know if the link is real or
> some sort of spam link that will fill your pc with viruses.  I find
> nothing wrong with folks asking what something is before they take the
> time to click on it, especially these days when a single click can
> infect your pc with malware or leave your pc in an unbootable state.
>
> On 3/10/2019 11:24 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:
>>
>> And he has kindly put the website's link in his message.  There
>> shouldn't be any excuse as the info  is just a click away.
>>
>> On 3/10/2019 7:58 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> There is no real description of what this program is for.  So as not
>>> to waste peoples time with something they are not interested in.

People, how probable is it that someone is going to take the effort to join an e-mailing list, one directly related to accessibility issues, and post a malicious link?

Risk assessment, in order to be accurate, needs to take a lot of factors into account, including the above.  I also know that I know the name Christo de Klerk either from earlier participation on this list or else the Win10 or JAWS group.

While I agree that a description would be nice, just because it might interest those not yet using something, but it is not unreasonable, in any way, to expect that someone click through to check out something.  It's a perfectly reasonable expectation.  Developing safe browsing and downloading habits for interacting with cyberspace does not extend to never clicking on any link where you don't know where it goes or you'd never go virtually anywhere.

When a site offers extensive documentation of what's there (and Nir Sofer's nirsoft.net is an excellent example) I certainly am not inclined to do anything other than offer a pointer and those who are interested should go there themselves.  In this specific case it's clear that the Mr. de Klerk uses and loves the software in question and seems to believe the reputation of Jacques Stassen may very well precede him.  I didn't know about him or his software, but clicked through to check it out.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

It has nothing to do with vulnerabilities in browsers, javascript is perfectly capable of downloading malware to your machine without ever alerting you to the fact.  In fact, there have been recent articles, (and mentions on her podcast) from Kim kommando for this very thing, when she was talking about people getting you to click on sites ttrying to convince foks they had won some money, or would win money if they clicked on particular urls, which actually lead to sites that would infect your pc with malware.  It doesn't take much, if it did, then you'd not see so many folks getting infected from pirated video sites, which still hasn't taught my 16-year-old son to stop visiting such sites, even though he's had to reinstall windows twice from scratch as a result of such nonsense.