Topics

o t, dvd wripper

Kerryn Gunness

hi friends

do you all no of a program to wripp dvd's ?

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I use a program called freemakeVC.  I bought the upgrade version because it works faster  and some of the features seem to be more accessible.  This program takes some playing with to get used to the parts that are not quite accessible but once you learn it it is easy to use.

I use it for DVD ripping and burning.  I also use it to convert audio files to other formats.

Dan Beaver

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Kerryn Gunness

thanks dan, but is there any free software?

I use a program called freemakeVC.  I bought the upgrade version because it works faster  and some of the features seem to be more accessible.  This program takes some playing with to get used to the parts that are not quite accessible but once you learn it it is easy to use.

I use it for DVD ripping and burning.  I also use it to convert audio files to other formats.

Dan Beaver

On 3/11/2019 10:04 AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi friends

do you all no of a program to wripp dvd's ?

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Dan Beaver

Yes, but maybe someone else on here can tell you about them.  I am not up to date on them.

Dan

On 3/11/2019 10:19 AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

thanks dan, but is there any free software?

I use a program called freemakeVC.  I bought the upgrade version because it works faster  and some of the features seem to be more accessible.  This program takes some playing with to get used to the parts that are not quite accessible but once you learn it it is easy to use.

I use it for DVD ripping and burning.  I also use it to convert audio files to other formats.

Dan Beaver

On 3/11/2019 10:04 AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi friends

do you all no of a program to wripp dvd's ?

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

If, by rip, you mean copy, then I don't know of any.   Copy protections on DVDs is significantly tighter than on CDs, for example, which have been easily duplicated for years.

If, by rip, you mean transferring to computer storage for later viewing, that's something else entirely.  Ripping generally refers to doing this, but it's unclear here.

Also, even though I'm responding, I'm going to start making a point of the fact that topics such as this one, which have nothing to do with NVDA either directly or indirectly, should be started on the chat subgroup, not here.  As there is not, as yet, a move function I'm allowing these to stay, for the moment, but in the coming weeks will be locking them and asking that people initiate any topic where the answer to the question, "Is this about using NVDA to accomplish some task or about configuring NVDA?," is, "No," in the chat subgroup.

We have the privilege of a community arrangement where anyone in the community can ask about anything "not NVDA" or discuss pretty much anything in a dedicated venue where other community members can choose to join if they wish.   The main group needs to come back to a much tighter NVDA focus, and will.

For those who have not yet subscribed to the chat subgroup here, again, are the addresses for that subgroup:

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Kerryn Gunness

hi

If, by rip, you mean transferring to computer storage for later viewing, that's something else entirely.  Ripping generally refers to doing this, but it's unclear here.

i mean above and also it is using NVDA to do it

thanks for clarifying

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:55 AM, Kerryn Gunness wrote:
and also it is using NVDA to do it
Thanks for your clarification not only about specific need, but about using NVDA with said ripper software.

We get lots of questions about software recommendations in general that there's not a single question about how to use them with NVDA (even though I presume that's how they're being used).  Sometimes it's just obvious how to use them with a screen reader and sometimes it's not.  Also, sometimes conversations are intended to focus on deep discussion of the feature set of a given piece of software, and all its keyboard shortcuts and the like.   When it's pretty much strictly in that vein, it's really not NVDA related, either.

I doubt that there will ever be a case where there is 100% purity with regard to "is NVDA involved," but those framing their questions know whether the thrust of what they want to discuss relates to using NVDA with a given piece of software or just about the other software itself.  One could, for instance, have a weeks-long conversation regarding using Microsoft Office without ever once mentioning a screen reader command (though the occasional mention is almost certain to occur).

Good luck in finding a solution that "plays well" with NVDA.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Kerryn Gunness

thanks brian

[...]

Hmph, freemake has opencandy spyware on it.

I use dvd audio extracter, it can't process some of the really encripted videos but it can work.

I also use goldwave for cd wripping and file conversion.

cdbxp can do everything from blueray to cds and has a slim installer.

On 12/03/2019 3:11 AM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Hi,

I use a program called freemakeVC.  I bought the upgrade version because it works faster  and some of the features seem to be more accessible.  This program takes some playing with to get used to the parts that are not quite accessible but once you learn it it is easy to use.

I use it for DVD ripping and burning.  I also use it to convert audio files to other formats.

Dan Beaver

On 3/11/2019 10:04 AM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi friends

do you all no of a program to wripp dvd's ?

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
.

Kerryn Gunness

thanks sean

[...]

Ian Blackburn

Vlc can rip nonprotected DVDs to various formats including MP3 and high bit rate MP4

On 12 Mar 2019, at 6:30 am, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io <k_gunness@...> wrote:

thanks sean