listing open windows with NVDA

Sean Murphy

All,

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

Hope someone can help.

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

If I'm not going wrong, there was an add-on that would allow us to see all the windows opened at the time, including, I think, those you are talking about.

I don't remember the add-on's name, though. Sorry :(

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@... escreveu:

All,

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

Hope someone can help.

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

Gerardo Corripio

SisTray isn’t the one you’re trying to think of its name? With this one, NVDA+F11 twice brings up the Task ist, but I don’t think this is what is being wanted to be done? What’s wanted to be done is like Jaws’s Jaws+F10, which would be an awesome feature to have!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 14 mar 2019, a la(s) 10:30 p. m., marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21@...> escribió:

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Standard, under windows 10 anyway is windows key + tab key = brings up a list of open windows that you can arrow left and right through, but, this is not NVDA-specific at all.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2019-03-15 6:30 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

No, actually I was talking about another add-on, which I really can't remember the name right now.

But if we ever had this option built-in to NVDA it would be quite nice indeed.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/03/2019 02:00, Gerardo Corripio escreveu:

[...]

Thanks for the keystroke, I had forgotten that keystroke. I wonder if it will help with floating windows. I will test it at work next time.

On 2019-03-15 6:30 AM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Rui Fontes

No, it will not help...

Try the systray addon or its equivalent on NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin addon...

Regards,

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@gmail.com
<mailto:mhysnm1964@gmail.com> escreveu:
All,
How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the
object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app
and windows. I cannot find a similar command.
A floating window for those who might not know the terminology.
Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the
program and some of them are not even attached to the
application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the
focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the
window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides
of listing all the windows helps here.
Hope someone can help.
Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in
NVDA?

Rui Fontes

NVDA developers do not find it necessary for NVDA to have such a command, because Windows has its own command ...

I do not agree and did make an addon to that, with the indispensable help of Rui Batista...

The other addon having a systray list function is NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin...

Rui Fontes

Em 13/03/2019 04:48, mhysnm1964@gmail.com escreveu:

All,

How do you find floating windows with NVDA other than using the object nav? In Jaws there is a hot key that shows all open app and windows. I cannot find a similar command.

A floating window for those who might not know the terminology. Is a window that is open by a program and is not attached to the program and some of them are not even attached to the application ring (alt tab). If the program does not place the focus correctly into the window. Then you cannot access the window by the keyboard. Thus the workaround which Jaws provides of listing all the windows helps here.

Hope someone can help.

Second question, just thought of. Are you able to remap keys in NVDA?

Rui Fontes

Jaws+F10 is equivalent to NVDA+F11 twice...

Rui

Às 05:00 de 15/03/2019, Gerardo Corripio escreveu:

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

NVDA + F11 twice basicly shows the task bar with all programs on the task bar, the opened ones and the not opened ones which are just shortcuts pinned there for fast opening.

Jaws+F10 is equivalent to NVDA+F11 twice...

Rui

Às 05:00 de 15/03/2019, Gerardo Corripio escreveu:
SisTray isn’t the one you’re trying to think of its name? With this
one,
NVDA+F11 twice brings up the Task ist, but I don’t think this is what
NVDA+is
[...]

Guys, are you sure this is a built-in NVDA command?

Here it doesn't do anything at all.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

<mailto:marcinhorj21@...>> escribió:

[...]

Gene

Evidently, you need to use the system tray add-on to do this.  I use the add-on but I don't use a new version.  All I want is to get the system tray dialog.  there is evidently an updated version that adds this other feature if you issue the NVDA key f11 command twice.

[...]

Oh, then that's it.

I don't use this add-on. :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/03/2019 18:04, Gene escreveu:

[...]

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

You can get the same result without the add-on.  In windows 10, go to the desktop.  Tab four times to the task view button and click it.

George

On 3/15/2019 4:01 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Oh, then actually this does the same thing that the add-on does? Good to know :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 17/03/2019 11:37, George McCoy escreveu:

[...]

Everyone,

Thank you for the suggestions. They were useful information but did not answer my question about floating windows. I think I am using a term which some people do not understand.

Windows tab only shows the applications currently open plus some historical information. If you have a floating window from an application. This does not appear here.

The task tray has nothing to do with the original question. But this was a useful command.

Let me try and explain again. I cannot tell you the name of the product as it is an internal program where I work and is not available to the general public. Thus why I am trying to find a solution to this issue. The true solution is for the dev’s to fix the issue. 😊

You open this program. Lets say you press ctrl o to open a dialog. The dialog does not receive keyboard focus. Visually you can see the dialog and object Nav takes a lot of keystrokes to find it, if you are lucky. As the object might or might not have a title.

Windows tab, alt tab and pressing f11 do not show the dialog. As stated before, Jaws isnert+f10 and all application windows and any other open windows (dialogs) are listed. This is the feature I am issing from NVDA being able to access this. Mac also has the same feature when you open the open windows vo shift f2 from memory. From this discussion, it appears NVDA cannot do this by default.

[...]

Have you tried the Systray addon pressing NVDA+F11 twice?

Rui Fontes

<https://facebook.com/firirinfonfon>