An important message about Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Gene

I almost never start off topic threads.  If this is not considered appropriate, let me know.  This seems to me to be a very important news story, however.

Here is a story from Kim Komando about how Microsoft is finally really doing something to deal with problems caused by its seemingly unending record of bad updates.  It's past time

If this works as its supposed to, it may save a lot of users serious problems.

Gene

There are things that are of such potential importance, this being one of them, that any usual rules should not apply.

Joseph Lee posted this link, direct to the Microsoft source, regarding these reports, which are correct:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4492307/windows-10-why-were-recently-installed-updates-removed

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well not if its trashed the operating system as it just did to a friend of mines machine it won't!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I almost never start off topic threads. If this is not considered appropriate, let me know. This seems to me to be a very important news story, however.

Here is a story from Kim Komando about how Microsoft is finally really doing something to deal with problems caused by its seemingly unending record of bad updates. It's past time

If this works as its supposed to, it may save a lot of users serious problems.
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/554278/windows-10-will-now-automatically-uninstall-buggy-updates?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=notd&utm_content=2019-03-13

What do you mean by trashed the operating system?  I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to run but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:32 PM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 04:28 PM, Gene wrote:
I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to run but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
And that's exactly what it is.   In the very early days of the 1809 rollout, there were some cases of catastrophic damage, and that's why 1809 was virtually pulled, for all practical intents and purposes, and when it was re-issued the speed of rollout was glacially slow for months.  In this age of system health telemetry catastrophic failures are generally detected within hours, a day at most, and immediate action to stop things can (and has) occurred.

I have grown very, very weary of the claims that each and every Microsoft update, including feature updates, should be viewed with trepidation and an expectation that it will cause things to get badly hosed.   That is the very rare exception, which, of course, doesn't really matter if it happens to you.

It also points out, again, that if you (any you) care about your data that you absolutely must be taking backups.  There are all sorts of things that can cause a PC to crash, the most common of which is HDD failure.  But it doesn't matter what the root cause might be, really.  If you follow a backup protocol and take routine backups you can restore a system in minutes right back to the state it was in when the most recent backup was taken (or further back in time if you keep several).   Backing up is absolutely the cheapest and easiest insurance anyone can have as far as making recovery from catastrophic failure as easy as it can be.

If ever the old saw, "By failing to plan you plan to fail," applies it relates to taking full system image backups, plus separate user data backups, for personal computers (and not just those running Windows).

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Jackie

But, as I suspect you already know, Brian V, catastrophic failure for
a blind person & catastrophic failure for a sighted person are 2 very
different things, if only because it can be difficult to restore the
computer when there's no speech. Rather like you trying to use 1 w/a
broken monitor (& no speech, lol). Apps like Seeing AI can give you
some idea of what's onscreen, but generally not enough to be useful in
terms of selecting items etc. & sighted help, particularly competent
sighted help,isn't always easy to get. But yes--you're absolutely
right--backups are quintessential.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for
illusion is deep.*

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Lino Morales

Well you can restore or I should reset a PC with W 10 with Narrator.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

But, as I suspect you already know, Brian V, catastrophic failure for
a blind person & catastrophic failure for a sighted person are 2 very
different things, if only because it can be difficult to restore the
computer when there's no speech. Rather like you trying to use 1 w/a
broken monitor (& no speech, lol). Apps like Seeing AI can give you
some idea of what's onscreen, but generally not enough to be useful in
terms of selecting items etc. & sighted help, particularly competent
sighted help,isn't always easy to get. But yes--you're absolutely
right--backups are quintessential.

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 04:28 PM, Gene wrote:
>

>> I suppose that beyond a certain point, the process wouldn't be able to
>> run
>> but I don't recall hearing of updates doing that much damage, although I
>> suppose its possible in rare, perhaps very rare cases.
>
> And that's exactly what it is.   In the very early days of the 1809 rollout,
> there were some cases of catastrophic damage, and that's why 1809 was
> virtually pulled, for all practical intents and purposes, and when it was
> re-issued the speed of rollout was glacially slow for months.  In this age
> of system health telemetry catastrophic failures are generally detected
> within hours, a day at most, and immediate action to stop things can (and
> has) occurred.
>
> I have grown very, very weary of the claims that each and every Microsoft
> update, including feature updates, should be viewed with trepidation and an
> expectation that it will cause things to get badly hosed.   That is the very
> rare exception, which, of course, doesn't really matter if it happens to
> you.
>
> It also points out, again, that if you (any you) care about your data that
> you absolutely must be taking backups.  There are all sorts of things that
> can cause a PC to crash, the most common of which is HDD failure.  But it
> doesn't matter what the root cause might be, really.  If you follow a backup
> protocol and take routine backups you can restore a system in minutes right
> back to the state it was in when the most recent backup was taken (or
> further back in time if you keep several).   Backing up is absolutely the
> cheapest and easiest insurance anyone can have as far as making recovery
> from catastrophic failure as easy as it can be.
>
> If ever the old saw, "By failing to plan you plan to fail," applies it
> relates to taking full system image backups, plus separate user data
> backups, for personal computers (and not just those running Windows).
>
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for
> illusion is deep.*
>
>           ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Jackie

You've gotta be able to boot to a certain point first in order to do
that, Lino. Even in safe mode, if you can't enable sound via registry
fixes suggested here, you are, to put none too fine a point on it,
screwed.

Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

________________________________
[...]

& check out my sites at
www.brighter-vision.com<http://www.brighter-vision.com> &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>

Lino Morales

Well yes. I don’t or never have fudged with Safe Mode and I probably never will. That’s for the uber geeks out here, but you can run Narrator in said mode. Note you have to have a USB headset and/or an external sound card.

On 3/13/19, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
> Well you can restore or I should reset a PC with W 10 with Narrator.
>

>                                                          Sent from
> Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10
>

> ________________________________

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I want to say that the startup failure section actually has sound. At least to the point where it asks you if you want to automatically repair, use last known restore point, etc. Of course your mileage may vary, but you certainly have a lot more flexibility compared to even a year or two ago. And you still don't have the option of speech if the computer won't even boot to that - but if that's the case it may very well be hardware over software. I haven't seen windows get so completely done for it won't even reach that point.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 06:17 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
Safe Mode and I probably never will. That’s for the uber geeks out here, but you can run Narrator in said mode. Note you have to have a USB headset and/or an external sound card.
Not necessarily.   I just created a Windows command prompt batch file that will edit the registry to allow the internal sound card to be active in Safe Mode.   Why Microsoft has not made this the default yet on their own, since it was a huge amount of effort to make Narrator available in Safe Mode, eludes me entirely.

See:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/32167

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Curtis Delzer

mine got rid of all my personal files, so had to re-do all from backup. When I updated to 09 windows' that is.

On 3/13/2019 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Michael Munn

Mah i ask what is this update about? I just got a notification from my computer that it will start after the hour.
So far of all the bickerin I have not got any inportant detail on this update.

Michael Munn
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org

On 3/13/2019 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Ian Blackburn

It’s a security update
When you go into updates with Microsoft it will actually tell you that
Kind regards Ian

On 3/13/2019 1:28 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:01 PM, Michael Munn wrote:
May I ask what is this update about?
This topic is not about any specific update.  It's about the fact that Microsoft's Windows Update facility is being tweaked to allow it not only to install updates, but to uninstall those that have shown to be problematic.

This feature is not active quite yet, but is coming in the very near future.

If you want to know what any specific Windows Update involves then you need to do a web search on the KB number associated with it.  That or go straight to the Microsoft Update Catalog page and search on the KB number there.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Ian Blackburn

It’s trashed some Windows 10 uses it went to 1809 if they had a Microsoft account with a Open one drive account
If you are using purely local user accounts and hadn’t connected to one drive you didn’t lose any data

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:11 PM, Ian Blackburn wrote:
It’s trashed some Windows 10 uses it went to 1809 if they had a Microsoft account with a Open one drive account
If you are using purely local user accounts and hadn’t connected to one drive you didn’t lose any data
Not that this is not true, because it did happen, but it is ancient history and has not been happening for many months now.   This was one of several catastrophic failures that did occur during the opening days of the rollout of Windows 10 Version 1809.

This does not continue to happen and I have seen absolutely no reports of it happening since the rollout was slowed to a virtual stop and, when it started again, moved at an unbelievably slow and calculated pace.

I am not a Microsoft fanboy, nor am I absolving them of their responsibility for what did happen, but holding on to these things months after they ceased happening is counterproductive.  It's just not occurring anymore, and that's what's truly important right now.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back