Firefox alternative?

Hi group,

Does anyone know of a web browser that is a good alternative to Firefox, but still based on the Firefox engine? I've noticed that Firefox has become quite laggy, at least on my desktop, and in recent years there hadn't been any major new features.

Have you tried resetting Firefox?  Particularly if you use add-ons or extensions.  I believe Opera was based on Firefox but I have no idea how accessible it is since I haven't played with it in ages.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Opera is now based on Chrome. Speaking about add ons, I'm not a heavy user of add ons; I only have a handful of them.

Robert Kingett <kingettspeaks@...>

You could try many Firefox forks. I have not tried any forks yet but a list of them are in wikipedia. From my run through with Opra Portable, it is not accessible, it seems

Is still make a record of the add-ons you've been using, reset (they may call it refresh) Firefox, then reinstall the add-ons.  That often helps and sometimes significantly.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Well google chrome is a serious contender if it works, doesn't crash and isn't dumb about things.
Ie google chrome will work as long as its happy with you.
I have it on a 64 bit desktop and it works.
I have also had it work on the old i3 server box I have here.
However I never got it working quite right on my personal workstation.
If its slow, turn off syncing, then do a refresh.
Why do you want more features, the fact ff is doing what it needs to do is fine for me.

On 5/11/2016 12:06 a.m., Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
Hi group,

Does anyone know of a web browser that is a good alternative to Firefox, but still based on the Firefox engine? I've noticed that Firefox has become quite laggy, at least on my desktop, and in recent years there hadn't been any major new features.

I have not used opera but I have not to many addons.
1, f123, useless because I told firefox to not remember history so it seems that requires it.
Webvisum, while old, its free to use and well it does some access.
Navigation sounds for classic sounds and classic themes restorer though I am unsure if that makes differences at all.
Over that, I have ublock for adds, and noscript for scripts, and better privacy for flash.
Plugins wise I have java, flash, and shockwave active, a 3d via for some older games and unity for some newer ones.
I use the mail client thunderbird and bar ublock the only thing I have extra is the google search engine extention.
I am however using win7, on the 10 system, I have google calindar for my dad's calindar, and 2 extentions that intercept bing requests and port them to google apart from all the google internal rubbish for their services that is.
For modern systems firefox is the way to go but you need a good cpu and ram, and a configured system.
Most issues I have had with a computer are config based.
That is everything is loaded from the manufacturer and it works.
No bios or driver updates and a lot of bloat.
Half of the bloat may not be bloat but its not configured right just for basics.
I once had a system that had a virus and so the repair place secured the system breaking it in the process.
It wasn't mine else I would have just done a reformat.
It wasn't so I spent over 24 hours, wripping out all the security systems and repairing windows, clearing the junk and instaling the right software and configuring it.

On 5/11/2016 1:54 a.m., Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
Opera is now based on Chrome. Speaking about add ons, I'm not a heavy user of add ons; I only have a handful of them.

Not sure if it's related, but from my experiences when I started using pinned tabs Firefox begins to be somewhat laggy.

Dejan Ristic

Opera is rather Chrome-based, and its accessibility may be compared with that of Google Chrome's. I use them both, and find them more accessible than they were before, though. The only thing I cannot do with them is switching between the currently running windows open in any of them. I know how to do it in Firefox. All in all, Firefox is the most accessible to NVDA.

On 11/4/2016 1:50 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Have you tried resetting Firefox?  Particularly if you use add-ons or extensions.  I believe Opera was based on Firefox but I have no idea how accessible it is since I haven't played with it in ages.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

Ice weasel? Firefox is coded in XUL, you could create your own browser
if you wish.

--
*/Brian/*

*/Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.
If you’re alive, it isn’t./*

//~ Lauren Bacall

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

In chrome, every window you open becomes a whole new process, so you would treate multiple chrome windows just like multiple programs. Just use the alt-tab, and toggle through all the programs to find the other chrome sessions. I don't know why it's done this way, but that's how it's handled, so just treat each open page like a different program, and you're all set.

hth.

On 11/5/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:
Opera is rather Chrome-based, and its accessibility may be compared with
that of Google Chrome's. I use them both, and find them more accessible
than they were before, though. The only thing I cannot do with them is
switching between the currently running windows open in any of them. I
know how to do it in Firefox. All in all, Firefox is the most accessible
to NVDA.

Dejan Ristic

I have tried it, but what I always get is the last window that I have open. I know that more are open, for I open them, but the last is shown when alt-tabbing.

On 11/5/2016 11:03 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
In chrome, every window you open becomes a whole new process, so you would treate multiple chrome windows just like multiple programs. Just use the alt-tab, and toggle through all the programs to find the other chrome sessions. I don't know why it's done this way, but that's how it's handled, so just treat each open page like a different program, and you're all set.

hth.

On 11/5/16, Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:
Opera is rather Chrome-based, and its accessibility may be compared with
that of Google Chrome's. I use them both, and find them more accessible
than they were before, though. The only thing I cannot do with them is
switching between the currently running windows open in any of them. I
know how to do it in Firefox. All in all, Firefox is the most accessible
to NVDA.

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

does not CTRl + either 1 up to 9 not work?

If there is only 3 pages open then you would use ctrl 1 to 3.

that is only if for tab browsing.

Otherwise is there is a setting for opening in a new window, that is
what I usually use.

there is a list of browsers that have been tested by nvda users that
work with nvda if you are interested.

thats only if you are looking at alternatives.

They can be found on the following page at
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda_road_tested_programs.html

Look under the browser section you can quickly jump down by headings.

The software on that page is what people so far have said works with
nvda but there would be alot more. at least it is a starting point for
new users.

Gene nz