a way to lock the nvda key?

Sarah k Alawami

I'm totally drawing a blank. I looked through the manual but either I missed it or this feature does not exist.

Is there a way to lock the nvda key so it makes some key presses a bit easier for me? Then I cold unlock it when I'm done? On the mac if I hit vo plus semi, it will lock the keys and the same press will turn that off.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website: http://www.tffppodcast.com
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go to http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium
and for hosting options go to http://www.tffppodcast.com/hosting
to subscribe to the feed click here:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp
And for the listen page go here:
http://www.tffppodcast.com/listen

The libsyn page is found here.
http://tffppodcast.libsyn.com

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here:
Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast

Sarah,

          What you're looking for sounds an awful lot like the age-old sticky keys feature under Windows.  It's in the Ease of Access settings, Keyboard pane in Windows 10 and I know it exists at least back to Windows 7, if not earlier.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Chris

Enable sticky keys

I think the shortcut is to hit the shift key 5 times to enable them

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

From the whats new section not sure if it helps.

it looks as though it was done back in 2012 or there abouts.

• When the Windows Sticky Keys function is enabled, the NVDA modifier key will now behave like other modifier keys. This allows you to use the NVDA modifier key without needing to hold it down while you press other keys. (#230)

Gene nz

On 14/03/2019 8:40 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

No, I want to actually lock the caps lock to issue nvda commands then unlock it. I don't want to to be sticky but I want to it stay locked. Fr example on the mac I can hit vo semi and issue command after command with just one press of a button instead of 3. I had just better remember it's on or I can't really use my keyboard. I'm actually surprised that nvda does not have a modifier lock. Or a key lock as I've heard some screen readers refer to it.

Take care

On 13 Mar 2019, at 12:50, Brian Vogel wrote:

Sarah,

          What you're looking for sounds an awful lot like the age-old sticky keys feature under Windows.  It's in the Ease of Access settings, Keyboard pane in Windows 10 and I know it exists at least back to Windows 7, if not earlier.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

I want this to only apply to nvda, not my whole keyboard. Those who use mac os will know what I'm talking about.

Take care

On 13 Mar 2019, at 12:50, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

So in this case will the nvda key be held down virtually? Just like with vo lock on the mac? I think I turned off sticky keys for good somewhere in my settings as I was always turning it on with out wanting to.

On 13 Mar 2019, at 13:21, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

From the whats new section not sure if it helps.

[...]

Have never used it for that purpose.

Let us know if it does the job for you.

Gene nz

On 14/03/2019 9:24 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

So in this case will the nvda key be held down virtually? Just like with vo lock on the mac? I think I turned off sticky keys for good somewhere in my settings as I was always turning it on with out wanting to.

On 13 Mar 2019, at 13:21, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

From the whats new section not sure if it helps.

[...]

I am not aware of an NVDA command that does this.  You could try sticky keys, but I don't know if it would make the NVDA key sticky.  It would also make other keys sticky you might not want sticky.  and I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me, from the little I played with sticky keys awhile ago out of curiosity, that what had been sticky would be made unsticky again if I alt tabbed to another program.  So you might want to play with this but it may be more trouble than its worth.

If NVDA doesn't have such a command, it probably should.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:40 PM

[...]

Gene

I am not aware of any such command, as I said and if you could, you couldn't use the computer conveniently.  Every time you were typing and pressed the letter n, the NVDA menu would open.  Down arrow would start read to end, etc.  In other words, unless NVDA were somehow programmed to allow the key to be sticky and only honor certain specific commands, such a command would make the computer unuseable.

I don't know what happens when you use sticky keys.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a way to lock the nvda key?

So in this case will the nvda key be held down virtually? Just like with vo lock on the mac? I think I turned off sticky keys for good somewhere in my settings as I was always turning it on with out wanting to.

On 13 Mar 2019, at 13:21, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

From the whats new section not sure if it helps.

[...]

As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost everyone I know who uses it does just that.   Even though the default toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done very quickly.

The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and WinKey.  I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Yes exactly this is what I'm looking for. I do this all the time on the mac especially i I'm doing repetitive key strokes, I lock the vo keys then I can do what i need to with both hands not holding the keys, or all with 1 hand. It's really convenient.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:24 PM

So in this case will the nvda key be held down virtually? Just like with vo lock on the mac? I think I turned off sticky keys for good somewhere in my settings as I was always turning it on with out wanting to.

On 13 Mar 2019, at 13:21, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

From the whats new section not sure if it helps.

[...]

           I don't know what edition of Windows 10 you have, but when I search settings on "lock twice" a setting comes up for "Lock the Sticky Keys modifier key when pressed twice in a row."  This sounds like the "hold that key down until I tell you otherwise" to be used in combination with whatever other keys you would be hitting until you turn it off.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

I'll have to give that a try. I actually forgot about that setting. I'm too used to voiceover here and only use windows 10 about 10 percent of the tiem over here. I'll take a gander.

On 13 Mar 2019, at 14:48, Brian Vogel wrote:

Sarah,

           I don't know what edition of Windows 10 you have, but when I search settings on "lock twice" a setting comes up for "Lock the Sticky Keys modifier key when pressed twice in a row."  This sounds like the "hold that key down until I tell you otherwise" to be used in combination with whatever other keys you would be hitting until you turn it off.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I think the person wanted it on caps lock but that key is already multi purpose for caps so adding even more confusion might be a bit like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.

This is almost where some kind of hardware device would be handy to be used to stick on and turn off a programmed set off keys .
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done very quickly.

The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

I want to lock the modifier what ever that is in terms of nvda. After all, I can do it in vo with the capslock or the vo keys with one key stroke, all the modifiers are locked no matter what I choose and I can just press let's ssay shift down to interact etc or f to find somethingn or g to find next. Look, one hand. Lol! I want to do this in nvda to make some of the command seaiser especially when I'm doing a lot at once.

Take care

On 14 Mar 2019, at 1:15, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

I think the person wanted it on caps lock but that key is already multi purpose for caps so adding even more confusion might be a bit like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.

This is almost where some kind of hardware device would be handy to be used to stick on and turn off a programmed set off keys .
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done very quickly.

The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

But is this not part of Mac OS to start with? I'm not sure if the Windows system allows external software to act this way. After all voice over is an apple program but nvda is not made by Microsoft.

<britechguy@gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:37 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
But is this not part of Mac OS to start with?
And the original question is in the subject, which is crystal clear.   Comparison to what one is capable of doing using another product or computing environment is often useful and illustrative, and was in this case.

I am still not certain that the exact functionality can be imitated under Windows with Sticky Keys and the double press of a modifier key to make it lock, but  that would be the only obvious way if it worked.   As you've noted, not everything has an equivalent across environments.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

This is a part of voiceover. I'm looking for somethingn siilar for nvda that can be toggled on and off with let's say nvda semi or something. It would then lock the modifier key and you could just hit n to go to the tools config menu etc. Enter and stuff would still work as normal.

Take care

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...>

As has already been mentioned, Sticky Keys is toggle-able, and almost
everyone I know who uses it does just that. Even though the default
toggle is five sequential presses of the SHIFT key, that can be done
very quickly.

The message when toggling says it affects CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, and
WinKey. I just tested it though, with the NumPad Insert when in NVDA
and it was sticky-ing it, too, as you get a tone when that's active.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Locking the NVDA key is most certainly possible, it has nothing to do with whether it's a microsoft program or another one, it's just a matter of keyboard interception, which is something NVDA already does.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@gmail.com>