help

The Gamages

Hello,
I have received a message purporting to come from Groups IO, it says that my messages are bouncing and I will not receive messages from freelists that I am subscribed to.
I stupidly clicked on a link in the message and, after reading what was in my browser, it said that I had been unbounced.
There’s no fool like an old fool they say, so, if anyone is reading this who can get in touch with Groups IO, I would be grateful for any help, I just hope that my e mail address has not been hacked.
Best Regards, Jim.

wayne <greenwood33@...>

Jim, if the message came from groups.io, you're okay. It sounds as if that the message was from groups.io so you have nothing to worry about.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:35 AM
Subject: [nvda] help

Hello,
I have received a message purporting to come from Groups IO, it says that my messages are bouncing and I will not receive messages from freelists that I am subscribed to.
I stupidly clicked on a link in the message and, after reading what was in my browser, it said that I had been unbounced.
There’s no fool like an old fool they say, so, if anyone is reading this who can get in touch with Groups IO, I would be grateful for any help, I just hope that my e mail address has not been hacked.
Best Regards, Jim.

Gene

Also, you can check to see where a link came from.  Be careful, because spammers are making some links look a lot more like authentic links when you check the actual address.

If you are reading mail as HTML and see a link with words in an e-mail such as click here or unbounce, as examples, be on the link, open the context menu, and look for something like copy link or copy link location, the wording will vary according to the program.  Press enter on it.  the link will be copied to the clipboard.
Open Notepad, paste in the link, and look at the actual address.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] help

Jim, if the message came from groups.io, you're okay. It sounds as if that the message was from groups.io so you have nothing to worry about.

Hello,
Best Regards, Jim.

Darren Harris

Hi,

I got the exact same thing this morning. I did check the email to see if it listed the lists that I’m apart of and it did.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of wayne
Sent: 14 March 2019 12:06
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello,

Best Regards, Jim.

The Gamages

Hello Gene and others who answered, thank you all for your comments,.
I did as Gene suggested and tried to copy the link, copy was unavailable, so I did copy shortcut, this is below, it misses out the https// groups io bit but here is the link below for any further comments and maybe help for others

My e mails are back, so it seems to have worked, but the fact that I couldn’t copy the actual link is a bit of a concern.
the link put me on what seemed to be the groups i o site, I will try it another way. .

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:21 AM

Also, you can check to see where a link came from.  Be careful, because spammers are making some links look a lot more like authentic links when you check the actual address.

If you are reading mail as HTML and see a link with words in an e-mail such as click here or unbounce, as examples, be on the link, open the context menu, and look for something like copy link or copy link location, the wording will vary according to the program.  Press enter on it.  the link will be copied to the clipboard.

Gene

Hello,
Best Regards, Jim.

Unbounce messages will be automatically generated if your e-mail service provider is detected as having bounced what would have been your incoming messages from groups.io.   The links to unbounce are perfectly safe, and if you don't activate them your e-mail from groups.io will not be making it to you until or unless you do.

A bounce is pretty much a "return to sender" event that Groups.io can detect.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

You hadn't indicated, as I recall, that you had been having delivery problems from groups io lists.  That is very important.  When reporting a problem, don't leave out information unless it is clear beyond a doubt that it is irrelevant.  Groups.io sends unbounce messages to anyone who is bouncing.  If your account is bouncing, you won't receive some or all messages from the list serve from which it is bouncing.  Your e-mail is back so you are again receiving list mail.  The link was legitimate.

The reason you don't see a Groups.io part of the address must be because it isn't used in the unbounce links.  While you would expect to see a groups.io address, now you know what the Internet site is that is used in such links from Groups.io.  it's evidently the domain of the actual overall web site, like Go Daddy. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:08 AM

I did as Gene suggested and tried to copy the link, copy was unavailable, so I did copy shortcut, this is below, it misses out the https// groups io bit but here is the link below for any further comments and maybe help for others

My e mails are back, so it seems to have worked, but the fact that I couldn’t copy the actual link is a bit of a concern.
the link put me on what seemed to be the groups i o site, I will try it another way. .

Best Regards, Jim.

Gene

Hello,
Best Regards, Jim.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have not yet seen his original message, but where did freelists come from? That list system has not been in use by this group for years, so if anyone still has this address in their address book remove it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 12:05 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello,
Best Regards, Jim.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:40 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
where did freelists come from?
My presumption is "old typing habits die hard," as there cannot be Groups.io bounce notifications involving freelists.  Hence, I just let that slide past.

If there are issues with freelists e-mail that would be handled entirely by them (as they do still exist and I'm on at least one of their lists).

--

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

The Gamages

Hello,

Firstly, thank you all for your comments, it’s all clear to me now.
You are correct Brian, it was a typingerror, or old havit as you say.
I didn’t make it clear that I was not getting messages from either list, but I thought that was obvious as the e mail from Groups IO said that I would not be receiving them, at the time of my original message, I was completely in the dark, my mistake, sorry.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, after all your help, I know what to do next time, but we are all learning and some things are a concern to us less enlightened folk. If I am unsure, I think the best thing is to ask for help, when I sent my original message, it was in the hope that someone would receive it,messages returned after a little while after I responded to Groups IO.
My apologies for the ramble, but I am grateful for all who responded.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:47 PM

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 12:40 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
where did freelists come from?
My presumption is "old typing habits die hard," as there cannot be Groups.io bounce notifications involving freelists.  Hence, I just let that slide past.

If there are issues with freelists e-mail that would be handled entirely by them (as they do still exist and I'm on at least one of their lists).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

The reason you need to specify things is that it can't be assumed what is occurring.  The message did say that but if it were spam, it might have said that anyway to encourage people to follow the link.  So it couldn't be determined if you were having delivery problems and that made it harder to definitely answer the question of whether the message was spam.  Once I knew that you hadn't been receiving list mail, I knew that the message was legitimate.

Its always better to include too much information.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:14 AM

You hadn't indicated, as I recall, that you had been having delivery problems from groups io lists.  That is very important.  When reporting a problem, don't leave out information unless it is clear beyond a doubt that it is irrelevant.  Groups.io sends unbounce messages to anyone who is bouncing.  If your account is bouncing, you won't receive some or all messages from the list serve from which it is bouncing.  Your e-mail is back so you are again receiving list mail.  The link was legitimate.

The reason you don't see a Groups.io part of the address must be because it isn't used in the unbounce links.  While you would expect to see a groups.io address, now you know what the Internet site is that is used in such links from Groups.io.  it's evidently the domain of the actual overall web site, like Go Daddy. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:08 AM

Best Regards, Jim.

Gene

Hello,
Best Regards, Jim.

Jim,

No problem, really.  Everyone's a neophyte at something at one time or another.

But take Gene's point to heart, too, and not just here.  For something like this, including a copy of the link received can help others who want to help you.  Sometimes just by seeing a link one can get a very good idea of whether it's legit or not just from having dealt with this sort of stuff for a very long time.

Requests for assistance with problems related to the group itself are definitely allowed (nay, encouraged) when issues arise.
--

Used to happen a lot when you didn'

't have ssl and were trying to handle mail remotely.

Google had an outage a couple days ago so did facebook and other google sites.

I am fine but others may have issues.

Your isp may or may not use google for something so thats why you may be bouncing.

I had the entire net drop out completely because the gogle datacentre had a hardware issue so it can happen with cloud networks.

On 15/03/2019 2:38 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Unbounce messages will be automatically generated if your e-mail service provider is detected as having bounced what would have been your incoming messages from groups.io.   The links to unbounce are perfectly safe, and if you don't activate them your e-mail from groups.io will not be making it to you until or unless you do.

A bounce is pretty much a "return to sender" event that Groups.io can detect.

--

The Gamages

Hello Brian ,

Messagereceived and understood.
One last point, if I had not clicked on the link in the original message from Broups IO, I would not have received any of the subsequent helpful mesages from list members, so, if just one person has been forwarned  and can now confidently click on such a link, all this has served a purpose.
Now I will go away and leave you all in peace.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:38 PM

Jim,

No problem, really.  Everyone's a neophyte at something at one time or another.

But take Gene's point to heart, too, and not just here.  For something like this, including a copy of the link received can help others who want to help you.  Sometimes just by seeing a link one can get a very good idea of whether it's legit or not just from having dealt with this sort of stuff for a very long time.

Requests for assistance with problems related to the group itself are definitely allowed (nay, encouraged) when issues arise.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back