Thunderbird with NVDA

Robert Logue

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?  NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Robert,

Try opening messages in a new tab instead of a new window. The subject of the message should stop repeating after that.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?

NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a

message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next

is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the

title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic

document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Gene

You can use the read to end command.  I saw someone propose another solution but I don't know how well it works.  it is changing whether messages open in a new tab or window or whatever the choice is.  You can see if changing it works.

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Having the keyboard set to skim mode and pressing up-arrow on a message works too.

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Curtis Delzer

I am using it now, the subject does not repeat, and using tabs seems to read the entire message using NVDA I press delete to go to the next message, etc.

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Gene

I'm not sure how you are reading mail.  Is the view pane opened?  If it is, pressing tab may be taking you from the message list to the view pane and the message is being read there.

Gene.

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Robert Logue

Yes. I use read to end a lot. Especially when opening a message from the list: Or, when Thunderbird bugs me about unloaded images and stops automatic reading.

  I just wanted an easier way to suppress all those titles and notifications.

Thanks Rosemarie. Opening messages in a new tab works.  Changes my workflow a bit but I can handle it.

Cheers.

Bob

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Robert Logue

Thanks. You know. I always seem to ignore that setting. Coming from Jaws, I should know that.

Bob

On 2019-03-16 10:28 a.m., Rosemarie Charring wrote:

Having the keyboard set to skim mode and pressing up-arrow on a message works too.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

You can use the read to end command.  I saw someone propose another solution but I don't know how well it works.  it is changing whether messages open in a new tab or window or whatever the choice is.  You can see if changing it works.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Robert Logue

Thanks Gene.  I try to be sure the message pain (f8( is not open

Bob

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Gene

If you change to reading mail either as text or as simple HTML, that will probably stop those notices.

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

Yes, that’s correct. Setting thunderbird to simple HTML or plain text will stop those notices.

Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I have the latest Thunderbird.

Is there a way to suppress reading the title of message when it opens?
NVDA and Jaws both read the title as much as 3 times when I open a
message from the list.

I think one time is because the message pain is opening.  Then the next
is the screen reader saying the title of the window. Then saying the
title of the document.  This gets very old fast.  I have automatic
document reading on.

Please point me in to documentation that might help.

Robert Logue

Thanks Gene and Rosemary.

Those tips really worked.

Bob