win7 security

Monte Single

HI folks,

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Jackie

Open up your ms essentials app.

On 3/19/19, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
HI folks,

Yesterday I got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was
turned off. Don't think I've heard that in all the years I have had this
pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

hi.
i use windows xp and always when i turn on my computer, recieve this message.
because i disabled windows update and did not install antivirus software!
the message is a button that you can press enter on it and you recieve
recommendation for antivirus, update, etc.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Arlene

I could be wrong, I think you have to look in the control panel. Possibly it may be in windows updates.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Arlene

Hi, he’s using windows 7. There are no apps in 7.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was

> turned off.  Don't think I've heard that in all the years I have had this

> pc.

> Where do I look to find status of win security.

> Thanks,

> Monte

It was likely a false alarm.  Have you rebooted since?  If you reboot and you get no such message, it is very unlikely anything to worry about.  if you reboot and do get such a message, what screen-reader are you using?  I suspect the message also said something like click here to address the problem.

However, if you want to check your security settings before doing any of this, do the following:
Open the start menu.  Type the word security.
Then after a moment, read the current line.  If it isn't what you want, look through many of the options.  Down arrow through them.  If you find what you want, press enter.

You will find what you want, as one of the items says chec security status.  I just checked.

One of the main improvements in Windows 7 is that you don't have to look for things as you did in XP.  Use the start menu search and you'll fined most things, even if you don't know what they are called.  The start menu search is designed to find things when the technical or exact words aren't used.  for example, use the start menu search to search for uninstall programs or uninstall a program.  You will find relevant results even though you didn't use the technical name.  I don't remember it any more.  But you will find entries in plain English such as remove a program.

This is important to know not only for Windows 7 but, though I haven't checked because I haven't used higher versions of Windows, I'm sure they all have this feature.

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:20 PM

HI folks,

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Arlene

Gene. Are you using windows 7? I’m now on ten. I was going to ask if you can do the same steps as you had given someone. I’ll give it a try!

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:20 PM

HI folks,

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Gene

Also, I asked what screen-reader you are using.  If you are using NVDA, I'm not sure it has a way to click help balloons.  If you are using JAWS, there is a way to do so when they come up.  As I recall, you should remain in the PC cursor, and press the left mouse click key.  Since you may have both screen-readers, that may help in such cases but what I told you in my last message may make it unnecessary since you can usually find what the help balloon opens since it is a part of Windows.  The help balloon just gives you an immediate and convenient way to open whatever you would open to investigate the problem.

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:20 PM

HI folks,

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Gene

Its Windows 7 so there isn't one, as far as I know.

> Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was
> turned off.  Don't think I've heard that in all the years I have had this
> pc.
>
> Where do I look to find status of win security.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Monte

You get the message because you don't use security programs.  If someone is using security programs and the system thinks they are off, it will generate a message.  The message may be accurate or a false alarm.

Gene

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Arlene

No there isn’t.  I did go to the start menue. Then I typed in Security. I found everything I need with it.  Like windows defender security updates etc.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Its Windows 7 so there isn't one, as far as I know.

> Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was
> turned off.  Don't think I've heard that in all the years I have had this
> pc.
>
> Where do I look to find status of win security.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Monte

I don't use Windows 10.  I don't know exactly what the interface is for Windows 10 but I believe its different to an extent in the start menu.  I'm sure you can do what I'm describing, because it would make no sense to take such an ability out of Windows.  But just what the procedure is and what the interface is like are questions others will have to answer.

Gene. Are you using windows 7? I’m now on ten. I was going to ask if you can do the same steps as you had given someone. I’ll give it a try!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Monte Single

Yes, I am using nvda, that’s why I posted the message to this list.

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:20 PM

HI folks,

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

hi gene.
you said
One of the main improvements in Windows 7 is that you don't have to
look for things as you did in XP.  Use the start menu search and
you'll fined most things, even if you don't know what they are called.
The start menu search is designed to find things when the technical or
exact words aren't used.  for example, use the start menu search to
search for uninstall programs or uninstall a program.  You will find
relevant results even though you didn't use the technical name.  I
don't remember it any more.  But you will find entries in plain
English such as remove a program.

really?
an option for windows 7 is programs and feature if i am right.
then, if i dont remember the name and like xp, search add-remove
programs does it work and does it find my desired item?
the only place which i recognize that it can find my desired item,
even if i dont know the exact sentences, words or even spelling, is
google search.
i describe story sometimes for google and google finds immediate my
desired option or item for me!
thanks for your great information, God bless you!

On 3/19/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

You probably got this because windows started out of sequence for some reason, and things.

Usually I would just reboot again if you were concerned, but to be honest things say they don't work and come back after a while simply because were not loaded at the time then resolves.

On 20/03/2019 4:20 PM, Monte Single wrote:

HI folks,

Yesterday I  got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off.  Don’t think I’ve heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Gene

If you are using the english version of Windows 7 and you type something like uninstall a program or remove a program or remove programs, you will find relevant results when you type some or all of these things.  I can't say that all those searches will find relevant results but if you type what you want to do, you will often or usually find results.  You may find a result that says programs and features.  You may find a result that says something like remove a program or uninstall a program.  They all lead to the same place.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Brian's Mail list account

I had exactly the same I took it back a day. I'm guessing an update to it was corrupted. It happens after a scan and says sorry the service was turned off, turn iton now, and you do and its on but next scan fails again.
I in fact only changed the registry to the one two days ago, not the whole thing then did a backup.
I'm awaiting to see if the same thing comes back when msse updates again.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Yesterday I got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was
turned off. Don't think I've heard that in all the years I have had this
pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Brian's Mail list account

Note as if to prove it was a rogue update, XP msse has also thrown a not currently on error, and the same fix worked there as well. I suspect a corrupted update file. We shall see in due course.
[...]

Rebooting did not cure it yesterday, only making it think an earlier update was running worked by replacing the registry.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Yesterday I got a popup on my win 7 machine saying windows security was turned off. Don't think I've heard that in all the years I have had this pc.

Where do I look to find status of win security.

Thanks,

Monte

Weird, the only thing I noticed was that yesterday's update for defs was majorly delayed yesterday, thats also fixed as of today, so I suspect a corrupted update file was inadvertantly released.

On 20/03/2019 9:20 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Rebooting did not cure it yesterday, only making it think an earlier update was running worked by replacing the registry.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-