Text frame Boxes MS Word 2016

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

Re: GitHub REFERENCE: elements in a word document are not read  #5738

I have a Word document that contains two appendices which are set out as Text Boxes that NVDA calls Text Frame when it gets into the BOX. The only way that I can find to get into the BOX is to find  A particular word that is known to be contained in the box. I see that this is a problem raised in GitHub and still unassigned. The sample given in the GitHub reference is a perfect illustration of what I mean and so you can replicate the problem from there if you wish.

Has anyone found a way to navigate these boxes? I understand that the difficulty is that they can float and so it is difficult for the screen reader to lock on to them.

As a matter of interest, I copied the entire document, including the two appendices, into clipboard in hopes of removing the text frames but the Windows cut and paste also failed to trap the contents of the text boxes!

I had a sighted person do the same on their machine, and they were surprised to find that the contents of the text boxes, which they could see clearly in the Word document, failed to paste into their notepad session!

Any thoughts would be more than welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've seen this as well, indeed I had to get my doctor to remove all text boxes and reformat the text as paragraphs before it would even be possible to cut and paste them or read them in a screenreader.
As this was dietary information it was most important that it was readable to me. Of course the producers of these files obviously has no idea about access issues, I doubt if it even crossed their minds.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi

This problem isn't exclusive to Office 2016.11.14
To our absolute frustration, we experienced the same problem in Office 2010
on Friday.

You see, we asked one of our churches to send the programme for the service
to us. We received the Word document, which indicated that it was the right
size to contain text, however, when we opened the document, NVDA read
nothing whatsoever. NVDA couldn't even do a word count or anything. What
made it even more strange, was that, when we selected the text, I could see
that the document wasn't blank.

We tried to convert it to text in the hope that something would happen, but
still nothing. So we took the document to one of our sigted colleagues, who
simply clicked on the text and cut it out of the frame which made it legible
with immediate effect.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma
Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege
Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634
C: 063 692 2573
F: 023 348 7633
E: heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org
W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org
Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street
Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

[...]

I found a macro which detects the presence of text frames or text boxes and
works like a dream! I have forwarded it to the development team and asked if
its logic can be used in NVDA to tackle this problem.

Meanwhile, could someone tell me if it is OK to post the text of a macro on
this list so that everyone can put it into their Word document as a macro?
Here is the link to the article anyway:

- Source:
http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012249_Finding_Text_Boxes.html
by Allen Wyatt (last updated May 27, 2015)

All the best,

Cearbhall

Rui Fontes

Hello!

At least, you can send it to rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com?

TIA

Rui Fontes

I found a macro which detects the presence of text frames or text boxes and
works like a dream! I have forwarded it to the development team and asked if
its logic can be used in NVDA to tackle this problem.

Meanwhile, could someone tell me if it is OK to post the text of a macro on
this list so that everyone can put it into their Word document as a macro?
Here is the link to the article anyway:

- Source:
http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012249_Finding_Text_Boxes.html
by Allen Wyatt (last updated May 27, 2015)

All the best,

Cearbhall

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes its not even just 2010, this strange effect can occur way back to word xp. its as if the whole file is designed as a big text box rather than just part of the native file.

Unfortunately with accessibility, if some part of word does not fire the right event for a screenreader to recognise often there is no way one can get at the text reliably.

[...]

I guess that depends on whether its copyrighted or not.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I found a macro which detects the presence of text frames or text boxes and
works like a dream! I have forwarded it to the development team and asked if
its logic can be used in NVDA to tackle this problem.

Meanwhile, could someone tell me if it is OK to post the text of a macro on
this list so that everyone can put it into their Word document as a macro?
Here is the link to the article anyway:

- Source:
http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012249_Finding_Text_Boxes.html
by Allen Wyatt (last updated May 27, 2015)

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Louis

Did you take a look at this macro?

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----
version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.

I found a macro which detects the presence of text frames or text boxes and
works like a dream! I have forwarded it to the development team and asked if
its logic can be used in NVDA to tackle this problem.

Meanwhile, could someone tell me if it is OK to post the text of a macro on
this list so that everyone can put it into their Word document as a macro?
Here is the link to the article anyway:

- Source:
http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012249_Finding_Text_Boxes.html
by Allen Wyatt (last updated May 27, 2015)

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Rui,

Did you get a chance to look at the macro? I sent the URL in my message, did
you see it?

All the best,

Cearbhall

-----