Topics

playing you tube with NVDA

Kerryn Gunness

HI all
are there commands for playing you tube videos using NVDA on windows?
like to pause, fast forward, rewine etc?
thanks

Andre Fisher

Visit this link for the keyboard shortcuts:

https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/u-m-google-170816/accessibility/google-keyboard-shortcuts---youtube

Sarah k Alawami

I know that is play pause, and m is mute unmute. I forgot the other strokes or where I even found them out but that's all I know so far. I left and right arrow through the slider to rewind and forwrd.

On 25 Mar 2019, at 16:08, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

HI all
are there commands for playing you tube videos using NVDA on windows?
like to pause, fast forward, rewine etc?
thanks

Kerryn Gunness

thanks all

I know that is play pause, and m is mute unmute. I forgot the other strokes or where I even found them out but that's all I know so far I left and right arrow through the slider to rewind and forwrd.

On 25 Mar 2019, at 16:08, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

HI all
are there commands for playing you tube videos using NVDA on windows?
like to pause, fast forward, rewine etc?
thanks

Kerryn Gunness

hey andre
this link is not working

Visit this link for the keyboard shortcuts:

https://sites.googlecom/a/umich.edu/u-m-google-170816/accessibility/google-keyboard-shortcuts---youtube

Brice Mijares

didn't work for me as well.

On 3/25/2019 4:52 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hey andre
this link is not working
Visit this link for the keyboard shortcuts:
https://sites.googlecom/a/umich.edu/u-m-google-170816/accessibility/google-keyboard-shortcuts---youtube

Andre Fisher

Here are the shortcuts:

Action

Shortcut

Toggle play/pause the video

k or Spacebar

Left arrow

Go forward 5 seconds

Right arrow

Go forward 10 seconds

Skip to a particular section of the video (e.g., 5 goes to the video midpoint)

Numbers 1-9 (not the keypad numbers)

Restart video

0 (not the keypad number)

Go to Full Screen mode

Exit Full Screen mode

Escape

Go to beginning of video

Go to end of video

End

Increase volume 5%

Up arrow

Decrease volume 5%

Down arrow

Increase speed

Shift+> (may not work in all browsers) or Shift+(period)

Decrease speed

Shift+< (may not work in all browsers)  or Shift+(comma)

Move forward 1 frame when video is paused

. (period)

Move backward 1 frame when video is paused

, (comma)

Mute/unmute video

Turn captions on/off

Cycle through options for caption background color

Move to the previous video in a playlist

Shift+p

Move to the next video in a playlist

Shift+n

Gene

Unless you want to go into forms mode, you need to have the NVDA setting on that allows commands to pass to the browser.  I don't know if the setting is on by default or just what it is called.  I don't use it in part because I use an old version of NVDA.  It does what I want and I don't need to update.  But others can discuss that setting.

you may have to move to the player.  If you start at the top of the page and type b until you get to a player command such as the play button or mute, any button in the player, then you can use the following commands and maybe others I don't know.

Space pauses and resumes play.  Right and left arrow moves you through the video.  You can press and hold those keys or press and release them.  but I'm not sure if press and hold works properly.

The numbers 0 through 9 move you through the video.  I've never seen this part explained but it looks to me as though 1 through perhsps 4 moves you by single percents, 1 2, etc.  5 through 9 may move you to fifty, sixty, etc.  But you can experiment and maybe you can find information if you look.  But those numbers move you in jumps through the video.  0 moves you back to the beginning and starts play from the beginning.  If the file stops playing at the end and you want to hear it again, 0 will play it again.  the other numbers will do what I described earlier even if the file has stopped.  But of course, if you have up next enabled, it won't do it if it has already started to switch to the next viddeo it wants to play.

[...]

aww by the way, the commands which andre recommended, you need to turn on browse mode first, before using them
to do this press NVDA key and space bar

Sent: Monday, March 25, 2019 6:08 PM

HI all
are there commands for playing  you tube videos using NVDA on windows?
like to pause, fast forward, rewine etc?
thanks

Sarah k Alawami

It worked here. Thanks for the shortcuts.

On 25 Mar 2019, at 16:57, Brice Mijares wrote:

didn't work for me as well.

On 3/25/2019 4:52 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hey andre
this link is not working

Visit this link for the keyboard shortcuts:

https://sites.googlecom/a/umich.edu/u-m-google-170816/accessibility/google-keyboard-shortcuts---youtube

Alina

Thanks for these. There are some I didn't know about.

Thanks again.

--

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Since I believe this question is well suited to this topic:
Guys, how we would access the comments' section on a YouTube video?
Quite a while ago, someone came up with a workaround for that, which initially worked like a charm. However, it's not working anymore.
So, is there a reliable way of doing just it?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 25/03/2019 20:08, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io disse:

HI all
are there commands for playing  you tube videos using NVDA on windows?
like to pause, fast forward, rewine etc?
thanks

Hey Andre
Good one. Thanks for this :)
I just saved these shortcuts.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 25/03/2019 21:28, Andre Fisher disse: