column/row headers not reading in Excel 2013

Jenine Stanley <jenine@...>

I’ve had this issue since I think the last build, but am just now getting around to asking about it.

I use Excel 2013, Windows 10 latest public build and now NVDA 2019.1.

I use the command to set a column header, or row header but more often column header, and nothing happens. I’m using NVDA+shift+C.

This issue happens no matter the size of the spreadsheet. I’ve tried making it an official table first then choosing the column headers and that doesn’t seem to have an effect. Is there something that’s changed about Excel, a command or setting I need to change?

Otherwise, I love NVDA with Excel! Can’t say that loudly enough.

Jenine Stanley

Consumer Relations Coordinator

Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc ®  and
America's VetDogs®,  The Veteran's K-9 Corps Inc ®
Providing "Second Sight" ® since 1946
371 E. Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown, NY 11787
Toll-free: 866-282-8047

Mobile: 631-708-6726
jenine@...

jenine@...

http://www.twitter.com/GdfJenine

To make a donation that can change a life ... contact the Guide Dog Foundation at www.guidedog.org
or America's VetDogs the Veterans K-9 Corps at www.vetdogs.org

Visit us on facebook at:
www.facebook.com/GuideDogFoundation or www.facebook.com/AmericasVetDogs

Subscribe to Our YouTube Channels at www.Youtube.com/guidedogfoundation and www.Youtube.com/americasvetdogs

Jenine,

             I hope that the following may help, as it should apply to NVDA as well as JAWS (thought I wrote it for a student who was using JAWS).  I have generally found it easier to set the title row/column in the Excel spreadsheet itself, then setting the screen reader to read those as I move up/down/left right (if that's wanted).

Assigning a Title Row (Column Titles) and/or Title Column (Row Titles) in Excel

You can assign column and row titles in Excel. These are nice because they always work with Excel and are saved to the workbook. There's no risk of losing a setting in your screen reader.

To add column and row title names:

    1. Focus on the first cell in the row or column or at the first cell where the title row and title column intersect
    2. Open the Name dialog:

                                                               i.      Open the Formula ribbon (ALT-M)

                                                             ii.      Activate the “Define Name” command (M)

                                                           iii.      Within the drop-down list, activate “Define Name”

                                                           iv.      The “New Name” dialog opens

Focus is placed in the name field. Within the name field, you can name the focused cell or selected range of cells. In this case, we’re naming the column or row title:

    1. Name the cell using the following rules

                           i.  Start the range name with the label that tells Excel you’re creating a title range

        1. Title – This tells Excel the column and row that intersect at the active cell are a title row and column
        2. ColumnTitle – This tells Excel the focused column contains the titles for the rows within the range
        3. RowTitle – this tells Excel the focused row contains titles for the columns in the range

                            ii.      Add a name for the range

        1. Title_WidgetSales
        2. ColumnTitle_WidgetSales
        3. RowTitle_WidgetSales

                              iii.      Optional - Add the last cell in the range preceded by two periods

        1. Use this when you have multiple regions in a worksheet
        2. Title_WidgetSales..J25
        3. ColumTitle_WidgetSales..h32
        4. RowTitle_WidgetSales..r12
        5. Remember the cell address referenced is the last cell in the range for which you are creating titles

The next field in the dialog sets the scope for the name. this is a combo box. Use UP and DOWN ARROW to choose from between:

  • Workbook - the title Is unique and can’t be used elsewhere in a workbook
  • A Specific Worksheet - the name can be used elsewhere in a workbook

You can add a comment for the named cell or region, this is strictly for your personal reference and doesn’t affect the echo of the column or row title name

The last field references the cell name or range of selected cells you’re naming. You can leave this field alone.

Activate the OK button to save the name and close the dialog.

Save the workbook and the titles are permanently saved and will work on any computer.

If you have titles set to echo in JAWS, the titles will echo and you won’t lose the settings.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Jenine Stanley <jenine@...>

Thanks much for this. What concerns me is that the column/row header reading did work, and worked well for a long time.

[...]

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Jenine,

I am using NVDA 2019.1 in Windows 10 with Office 2016. The column reading command is working perfectly here as you describe it doing for you originally.

Is it echoing any column heading at all? Have you any blank column breaking the flow of column headings? These things can prevent the full header row being echoed.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Jenine,

When you say you are setting the column header with NVDA+control+c and nothing happens, do you mean NVDA reads nothing when you press NVDA+control+c to set the header, or it's not reading the header as you navigate around your spreadsheet?

When you press NVDA+control+c, NVDA should report: "Set A1 as start of column headers" (where I had the focus in A1 when I pressed the command).  If that isn't being read, is the focus on a cell in Excel AND you are not editing the cell?  If you have started typing something in the cell or pressed F2 to edit it, Excel will be in edit mode and you won't be able to set the header until you finish (enter) or cancel (escape) editing that cell.

If it's not reporting headers as you navigate, then press NVDA+control+d to open NVDA's document formatting settings, and be sure that "Row / Column headers" is checked (press alt+e until the focus jumps to that option).

Kind regards

Quentin.

or America's VetDogs the Veterans K-9 Corps at www.vetdogs.org

Visit us on facebook at:

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jenine Stanley <jenine@...>

HI Quinton,

Sorry I wasn’t clear. You are correct in that when I press NVDA+Shift+c it says “Set A1 as column header. It does not read the headers when I navigate though and I will now go try your fix as I’m sure that’s what’s wrong here. I had a feeling it was a setting.

And this is why we love NVDA! Thanks.

or America's VetDogs the Veterans K-9 Corps at www.vetdogs.org

Visit us on facebook at:
www.facebook.com/GuideDogFoundation or www.facebook.com/AmericasVetDogs

Subscribe to Our YouTube Channels at www.Youtube.com/guidedogfoundation and www.Youtube.com/americasvetdogs

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Angelo Sonnesso

Make sure that you press the spacebar on the apply button, and then the ok button .

73 N2DYN Angelo

or America's VetDogs the Veterans K-9 Corps at www.vetdogs.org

Visit us on facebook at:
www.facebook.com/GuideDogFoundation or www.facebook.com/AmericasVetDogs

Subscribe to Our YouTube Channels at www.Youtube.com/guidedogfoundation and www.Youtube.com/americasvetdogs

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Avast logo

Jenine Stanley <jenine@...>

Thanks much. Did so and it worked! Yay! My monster spreadsheet is now infinitely more usable.

or America's VetDogs the Veterans K-9 Corps at www.vetdogs.org

Visit us on facebook at: