Topics

Outlook (Office 365) not reading message list in NVDA 2019.1 #winten1803

Corbb O’Connor

I just installed NVDA 2019.1 and am using Outlook (as part of Office 365). I rebooted after the NVDA install, and--after opening Outlook--I down-arrow through the message list. I only hear the header rows (containing the date information) but nothing else. NVDA does not read anything as I down-arrow through the message list. Furthermore, pressing CapsLock+N while inside Outlook won't read any of the menu options. If I don't open Outlok, though, I'm able to read the NVDA menu.

I've been using NVDA for quite awhile but haven't come across a bug worthy of submitting before, so I'd appreciate any direction that you can provide.

Thanks!

Corbb,

            If you do not have an account on GitHub, I would suggest you open one.  Afterward, go to the NVDA Issue Reporting Page:  https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

            I actually did my first two formal issue reports yesterday, and the template provided when you activate the "New Issue" button makes it very clear what you should fill in under each section heading (as appropriate, sometimes you'll skip one or more).

            If you are able to replicate the issue, and can give the steps required to do so, the best way to bring this to the attention of the NVDA developers is to open a new issue on GitHub if your search in the Filters box doesn't turn up anything currently active for the same thing.  If it does turn up an active issue, you can add a comment to it if you so desire and/or have additional information not already shared by whoever filed the issue to begin with.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Corbb,

           By the way, if you have the time it's worth testing if the same issue is occurring in earlier versions of NVDA, or just 2019.1.   I was given this link yesterday to download 2018.4.1:
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2018.4.1/nvda_2018.4.1.exe

You don't have to install it over your existing 2019.1 copy, but fire it up and have it make a portable copy instead, then fire up the portable copy.  It can help a great deal to determine if the issue has crept in with the latest release or predates it.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I always keep an older copy as a portable with a shortcut on the desktop with a little file to shut the running copy and start the new one. Instant comparisons.
I have not got a sub to 365, so cannot help with this current crop of problems, but Outlook seems to hav been second only to Skype for induced problems through Microsoft.
I find it amusing that using this out of date copy of Outlook Express cludged to run in windows 7, seems to have fewer problems than recent versions of paid for software or the windows email client.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

By the way, if you have the time it's worth testing if the same issue is occurring in earlier versions of NVDA, or just 2019.1. I was given this link yesterday to download 2018.4.1:
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2018.4.1/nvda_2018.4.1.exe

You don't have to install it over your existing 2019.1 copy, but fire it up and have it make a portable copy instead, then fire up the portable copy. It can help a great deal to determine if the issue has crept in with the latest release or predates it.

*The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.* *
* ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)**

I'm making a point of it now to keep a trail of the last several versions of NVDA as portables, creating each just before I apply the latest update.  It makes life much easier when one needs to check whether a bug has crept in with NVDA and, if so, which version (as there have been times when I just hadn't hit it in an earlier version because I wasn't doing whatever it is that triggers the bug).

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Quentin Christensen

Hi Corbb,

When you say Outlook isn't reading anything other than the subject and date information, what other information was it reading previously?

It could be that the view has changed in Outlook.  Alt+v, c, v takes you to change view where you can set compact, single or preview, or manage views to more precisely edit what is displayed.

Re the NVDA menu, can you confirm that the menu is appearing?  Is NVDA reading anything at all when you try to arrow through it?  It seems to be reading fine for me when I call it up when using Outlook.

If you can replicate and send me a log, I'll have a look and see if there's anything.

Other things to try, previous versions of NVDA to confirm whether it is a new issue with 2019.1 and restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled are the two things I can think of to try.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen