Request: require assistance make NVDA read the status bar in file explorer of windows ten

Sandesh computer trainer HR

Hi friends,

I am using NVDA latest version. I selected files and folders in file
explorer of windows ten.
When I try to read the status bar NVDA is not reading in both keyboard
layouts laptop mode and desktop mode.
Kindly share the solution to overcome of above challenge.

With regards,
Sandesh HR

Rui Fontes

Hello!

I have written a small addon to read the status bar in File explorer in Windows 10...

Do you want me to send it?

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Às 13:05 de 28/03/2019, Sandesh computer trainer HR escreveu:

Hi friends,
I am using NVDA latest version. I selected files and folders in file
explorer of windows ten.
When I try to read the status bar NVDA is not reading in both keyboard
layouts laptop mode and desktop mode.
Kindly share the solution to overcome of above challenge.
With regards,
Sandesh HR

Sarah k Alawami

Can you not use object nav and get there then interact with the status line and read it that way? It's slower but it should work just as well.

On 28 Mar 2019, at 6:05, Sandesh computer trainer HR wrote:

Hi friends,

I am using NVDA latest version. I selected files and folders in file
explorer of windows ten.
When I try to read the status bar NVDA is not reading in both keyboard
layouts laptop mode and desktop mode.
Kindly share the solution to overcome of above challenge.

With regards,
Sandesh HR

Brian's Mail list account

I don't have win10, but I thought this was fixed a while back by Josephs add on orhas it made it to core nvda. Probably find windows has mucked it up again!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Can you not use object nav and get there then interact with the status
line and read it that way? It's slower but it should work just as well.

On 28 Mar 2019, at 6:05, Sandesh computer trainer HR wrote:

Hi friends,

I am using NVDA latest version. I selected files and folders in file
explorer of windows ten.
When I try to read the status bar NVDA is not reading in both keyboard
layouts laptop mode and desktop mode.
Kindly share the solution to overcome of above challenge.

With regards,
Sandesh HR

Andre Fisher

Hi.

It's much more convoluted to do it this way. I would consider myself to be an advanced user of NVDA, yet I found it difficult to find it. I could offer up another solution in the form of the Virtual Review add-on. When it is installed, press NVDA+Control+W while in Windows/File Explorer.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Groups,

Here is a simple way to read the status line using NVDA.

1. Launch File Explorer.

2.  Make sure your screen reader is in screen review mode by pressing NVDA + numpad 7.

3. Press shift + numpad 9 to read the bottom of the screen.

4.  You should hear something like 781 items 1 item selected 3.52 MB.

I do wonder just why the old read status line with NVDA + end key does not work and hasn't worked since Windows XP but the work around isn't that difficult.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I suspect that if you don't return to object Navigation mode, some things may not read as expected when you are working with the message list.  Is that the case?  I always return to object navigation mode when I am finished with screen navigation because you never know when staying in screen navigation may cause some sort of problem or problems when navigating, even when using the application commands such as arrow keys in a list.

Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 7:39 PM

[...]

The problem is that seems that some guys don't want to solve this very old bug...

I already gave one solution, heavily tested in the portuguese and brazilian community...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes

Às 00:39 de 29/03/2019, Ron Canazzi escreveu:

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

F6 will read the Status Bar provided it has been switched on in the File and folder options, view tab, advanced settings.  It is near the top of the page and f6 will cycle through various elements of the File Explorer display, including “Status Bar”.  It only describes the display format used on the Explorer page and suggests a keystroke of Ctrl+Shift+6 which I can’t get to work.  The “Status Line” (as referenced by NVDA) is not found by NVDA, irrestpective of whether status bar is switched on or not.  Virtual review does show that there is information at the bottom of the screen consisting of the number  of items in folder and how many are selected but this is not present when the status Bar is switched off.

The nvda+end keystroke to read the Status Line in Word 2007 seems to work OK as it does when using Ed-Sharp.  In Excel 2007, it says “Ready 100 percent” then freezes and I had to alt+f4 out of Excel before speech resumed.  I retried Excel with no add-ons active and the status line was spoken OK.  I cannot get the nvda+end command to work in Outlook 2007 with or without add-ons active.

Conclusion: Status line reading functionality is a bit flakey and is possibly compromised by add-ons.

Cheers

Chris       .  .