Why Windows OneCore voices Over eSpeak NG

Hi,

I don’t know when this was done, but NVDA is now defaulting to the Windows OneCore voices rather than eSpeak NG when it is first installed on Windows 10. It also does this on secure screens.

This is really annoying to me as I find the Windows OneCore voices extremely annoying in that they are incredibly slow and laggy. Is it possible to force NVDA to default back to eSpeak NG without copying my entire NVDA configuration over?

Thanks in Advance,

Noah Carver

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Actually it's happening for a while now.
Well, you still can change the voice to Espeak then save the settings, nothing hard, not really :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 28/03/2019 11:11, Noah Carver via Groups.Io disse:

Hi,

I don’t know when this was done, but NVDA is now defaulting to the Windows OneCore voices rather than eSpeak NG when it is first installed on Windows 10. It also does this on secure screens.

This is really annoying to me as I find the Windows OneCore voices extremely annoying in that they are incredibly slow and laggy. Is it possible to force NVDA to default back to eSpeak NG without copying my entire NVDA configuration over?

Thanks in Advance,

Noah Carver

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mohamed

This was done because many users find ESpeak to be very robotic sounding, which negatively affected people's first impression of NVDA. You'd need to copy your settings over if you want to use ESpeak NG. Alternatively, you could edit nvda.ini by hand, but that's a very involved process.

On 3/28/2019 10:11 AM, Noah Carver via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi,

I don’t know when this was done, but NVDA is now defaulting to the Windows OneCore voices rather than eSpeak NG when it is first installed on Windows 10. It also does this on secure screens.

This is really annoying to me as I find the Windows OneCore voices extremely annoying in that they are incredibly slow and laggy. Is it possible to force NVDA to default back to eSpeak NG without copying my entire NVDA configuration over?

Thanks in Advance,

Noah Carver

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well it detects windows 10 somehow and makes the default 1 core. It may be possible to tinker with this somewhere but in the end if you want the new voice on those secure screens the settings have to be saved and copied to the user area at boot up etc. I can see no other way if its going to be the same voice .
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I don’t know when this was done, but NVDA is now defaulting to the Windows OneCore voices rather than eSpeak NG when it is first installed on Windows 10. It also does this on secure screens.

This is really annoying to me as I find the Windows OneCore voices extremely annoying in that they are incredibly slow and laggy. Is it possible to force NVDA to default back to eSpeak NG without copying my entire NVDA configuration over?

Thanks in Advance,

Noah Carver

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Monte Single

I have not moved to win 10 yet. Why do some people say the one core voices are slow? Can the speech rate be increased?
Thanks,
Monte

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Why do some people say the one core voices are slow? Can the speech rate be increased?
Because some people have their speech rates set up to speeds that are incomprehensible to your random listener, but perfectly comprehensible to them, and certain synthesizers do "ultra fast" better than others.   I have yet to see anyone who uses One Core (or other, for that matter) voices at something within normal limits for typical human speech rates say they're either slow or laggy.   If one wants to use ultra fast speech rates, then it narrows one's choice of synthesizers (and, probably, even voices for that synth).

Yes, speech rate can be varied for One Core voices.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Monte Single

Good response.  I know some blind people listen at rates of speech over three  hundred words per minute.

Personally

  I find 175 to be pretty good for me.

Are the 1 core voices available for win 10 only or can they be used with win 7.?

Thanks,

Monte

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Why do some people say the one core voices are slow? Can the speech rate be increased?

Because some people have their speech rates set up to speeds that are incomprehensible to your random listener, but perfectly comprehensible to them, and certain synthesizers do "ultra fast" better than others.   I have yet to see anyone who uses One Core (or other, for that matter) voices at something within normal limits for typical human speech rates say they're either slow or laggy.   If one wants to use ultra fast speech rates, then it narrows one's choice of synthesizers (and, probably, even voices for that synth).

Yes, speech rate can be varied for One Core voices.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Brice Mijares

I use the one core voice and my rate is set at 95 which I fine adequate.

--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
/*The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.*/*/

Mohamed

No, OneCore voices can only be used with Windows 10, however you might be able to get some of the voices by installing Microsoft Speech Platform, though that does not include newer voices such as Mark. I believe that also suffers from the responsiveness issues of SAPI 5.

On 3/28/2019 2:00 PM, Monte Single wrote:

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If you do go down the speech platform way for your windows 7 machine let us know and i can drop box the engine  or is it called the driver with all the voices it has both in english and other languages etc.

Gene nz

On 29/03/2019 7:00 AM, Monte Single wrote:

[...]

Narayan <krishnashree1221@...>

Please provide the link of this.

On 29 March 2019 12:11:24 AM "hurrikennyandopo ..." <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

There is a procedure to speed up the One Core Voices.  I don't know it, I don't have Windows 10 and I'd probably far rather use Eloquence or Via Voice if I did, but I've seen the procedure written about before.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Why do some people say the one core voices are slow? Can the speech rate be increased?

Because some people have their speech rates set up to speeds that are incomprehensible to your random listener, but perfectly comprehensible to them, and certain synthesizers do "ultra fast" better than others.   I have yet to see anyone who uses One Core (or other, for that matter) voices at something within normal limits for typical human speech rates say they're either slow or laggy.   If one wants to use ultra fast speech rates, then it narrows one's choice of synthesizers (and, probably, even voices for that synth).

Yes, speech rate can be varied for One Core voices.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

To grab the whole package of the runtime file and all the voices you can get it from the following link at https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rokrf6a4qijsvf/Speech%20Platform%2011%20engine%20and%20voices.zip?dl=0

I will leave it there for 24 hours or so.

It is in a zip format so it will need to be opened. There is 28 files or so. Locate the speech platform runtime one first it will then have to be installed all the rest with TTs are text to speech voices in english and other languages.

it is 340 meg with them all zipped so hopefully you are not on limited bandwith.

Gene nz

On 29/03/2019 7:58 AM, Narayan wrote:

[...]

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

Obviously, voices like espeak and elloquence can be cranked up to phenomally fast rates.  But you can speed up onecore voices to a respectable rate by going into settings, time and language speech and advancing the speed slider to 100 and then adjusting NVDA's rate accordingly.  I can get speeds with Microsoft Mark that are roughly equivalent to espeak with rate boost checked and rate set to 40 or so.

George

On 3/28/2019 12:41 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Why do some people say the one core voices are slow? Can the speech rate be increased?
Because some people have their speech rates set up to speeds that are incomprehensible to your random listener, but perfectly comprehensible to them, and certain synthesizers do "ultra fast" better than others.   I have yet to see anyone who uses One Core (or other, for that matter) voices at something within normal limits for typical human speech rates say they're either slow or laggy.   If one wants to use ultra fast speech rates, then it narrows one's choice of synthesizers (and, probably, even voices for that synth).

Yes, speech rate can be varied for One Core voices.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

JM Casey

The problem I found with the 1core voices was that there was always a really long pause between sentences, and a shorter but still annoying pause after commas. I was able to get rid of this by editing an .ini file within windows, but most times when there was a windows update, the setting went back to its default. Very irritating.

Someone suggested setting the rate within windows to its maximum, and setting the rate within NVDA to normal listening speed. This did seem to help the problem, although I can’t really say why. Now every time I turn on narrator, it’s incomprehensibly fast. :D

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I use one core at microsoft's 100 percent and nvda's maybe 40. It's rapid fast and only I can understand it. And they are as responsive as ever.

Take care

On 28 Mar 2019, at 10:41, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Monte Single wrote:
Why do some people say the one core voices are slow? Can the speech rate be increased?
Because some people have their speech rates set up to speeds that are incomprehensible to your random listener, but perfectly comprehensible to them, and certain synthesizers do "ultra fast" better than others.   I have yet to see anyone who uses One Core (or other, for that matter) voices at something within normal limits for typical human speech rates say they're either slow or laggy.   If one wants to use ultra fast speech rates, then it narrows one's choice of synthesizers (and, probably, even voices for that synth).

Yes, speech rate can be varied for One Core voices.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

Quentin Christensen

In 2019.1 we've reduced that pause between sentences with OneCore voices.  If that was your main issue, try OneCore voices again and see what you think of the change (do let us know).  Otherwise for the OP, as others have said, if you change your synth to eSpeak NG or any other, then:
1. Set your synth to eSpeak (or whatever you want) and make any other changes.
2. Press NVDA+control+c to save your settings
3. Open NVDA's general settings: NVDA+control+g
4. Tab to "Use Currently saved settings on Windows logon and other secure screens"
5. Press ENTER, then accept the warnings and notifications about copying settings etc.

We made the change in NVDA 2018.2 as a lot of new users found eSpeak NG very robotic and we felt that OneCore voices were at a point where they were quite useable for new users.  For users who preferred eSpeak NG, we still bundle it with NVDA and it is relatively easy to change to it (note that if you are upgrading from an earlier version of NVDA, you will keep your existing settings - the change to the default only affects new installations).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 8:00 AM JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

[...]

Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Narayan <krishnashree1221@...>

thank you sir.

On 3/29/2019 2:14 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

Shree

Daniel Damacena

Off course, but many people dont know it.
Personally, I do not like synts  that try to imitate real voices, because in most cases the pronunciation is horrible when you set high rates, but one core's voices are not bad at all and they are really responsible.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
I don’t know when this was done, but NVDA is now defaulting to the Windows
OneCore voices rather than eSpeak NG when it is first installed on Windows
10. It also does this on secure screens.

This is really annoying to me as I find the Windows OneCore voices extremely
annoying in that they are incredibly slow and laggy. Is it possible to force
NVDA to default back to eSpeak NG without copying my entire NVDA
configuration over?

Thanks in Advance,

Noah Carver

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Daniel amacena

Daniel Damacena

Here, one core's voices are much lower in volume then the other synts.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thank you!