Question about braille sign

Anne Günther

Hi,
when I'm writing the apostrophe "'" is shown normally as a one-symbol-sign. But when I'm reading texts in firefox it's usually shown as some strange sign, made of different symbols, which is a bit annoyning. Why could that be, and is there a way to fix it?
best wishes, Guenni

Jackie

Guenni, this is probably an apostrophe in Unicode, likely UTF8. It is
generally considered correct coding procedure to signify the language
& character encoding of the document. Failure to do so throws errors
in all browser development tools, so the likelihood is that there's
really no way to fix it. If the author did not specify an encoding
method, then perhaps the text encoding item on the view menu can help
you fix it. But, as I said, that's normally not the case, as
specifying this is really standard coding procedure.

On 3/30/19, Anne Günther <ag82lca@leseguenni.de> wrote:
Hi,
when I'm writing the apostrophe "'" is shown normally as a
one-symbol-sign. But when I'm reading texts in firefox it's usually
shown as some strange sign, made of different symbols, which is a bit
annoyning. Why could that be, and is there a way to fix it?
best wishes, Guenni

Anne Günther

Hi,
unfortunately, you're right, the creators of this (and probably most others) know what they're doing the coding is correctly set to utf8 and so, no the coding option isn't available in the menu.
But why is the utf8 coding actually a problem. I mean, why does produce strange corresponding braille signs in some cases?
Guenni

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If its any consolation things like this can show up in text editors peculiarly as well. I have never looked into it greatly but sometimes apparently good text on a web site can have embedded odd characters in it in a text editor like =20 at every line break or similar. It can be a real pain if everyone is not singing from the same sheet so to speak.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

Sometimes characters with different meanings are used by visual writers because they feel they look better. For example, quote symbols can be just a straight line, or can curve toward the quoted text. In the latter case there is a different symbol for left and right quotes. I'm not sure if UNICODE designates a separate code for apostrophe vs single quote but if so, then there are three possibilities of what a sighted person might place in the apostrophe location. Further complicating this, is that the US English keyboard has only one key that is used for both apostrophe and quote and so often the word processor replaces the single quote with a more appropriate symbol.  Microsoft Word calls this smart quotes and it can be configured in the auto correct area of settings.
Now, the libelous is translating back from UNICODE to Braille and must decide for every   unicode character what to do with it.
What should you do?
1. Read by character and see how NVDA reads the individual character.
2. If NVDA says apostrophe then this is a bug in NVDA Braille translation tables that are provided by libelous.
Otherwise it might just be a rogue web designer.

If you consistently find that a particular non apostrophe character is used for the apostrophe, it might still be possible to get the Braille translator to re interpret it mid-word as an apostrophe.