sleep module no longer working after upgrading to 2019.1

John O'Regan <john.a.oregan@...>

Hello All,

I've been using NVDA for many years now. Mostly for editing text
files with the Notepad2 editor. I've configured JAWS to go to sleep
when Notepad2 is the current app, and NVDA falls silent when most
everything else has focus. I achieved this by using the example sleep
module described in the NVDA Developer's Guide.

Unfortunately, the sleep module stopped working properly when I
upgraded to NVDA 2019.1. I enabled the scratchpad directory and moved
all the files from the old appModules directory to the new
scratchpad/appModules directory. Initially, all seemed well. NVDA
didn't speak when IE had focus, but when I typed into a text field,
both NVDA and JAWS spoke at once. And when I Alt+Tabbed to Windows
Explorer, the sleep instruction in the explorer.py file was ignored
and both NVDA and JAWS spoke at once. Tools > Reload Plugins fixed
this issue, but only temporarily. As soon as I switched to another
window, both JAWS and NVDA were speaking again.

Please help!

John

John O'Regan <john.a.oregan@...>

Hi Again,

Please disregard my previous post. The problem has been resolved.
Turns out the filenames in the scratchpad/appModules are
case-sensitive. Which is to say, if you want NVDA to fall asleep
whenever TWBlue gains focus, the name of the .py file must match the
process name listed in Task Manager exactly. In other words:

twblue.py

works, whereas:

twBlue.py

does not.

I hope the section on the sleep module in the NVDA Developer's Guide
will be updated to remind readers that in order for the sleep module
to work, scratchpad must first be enabled from Advanced Settings, and
that the names of .py files in the scratchpad/appModules directory
must match their corresponding .exe counterparts _exactly_.

BFN!

John

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your resolution and suggestions for documentation updates.

          ~ Andrew Brown (1938-1994)