Latency when typing in Thunderbird

Sile

Hello all

I have just moved onto a Windows 10 machine and am running the latest version of Thunderbird and of NVDA.

When typing in thunderbird, there is some latency (I am echoing letters when typing).  It is almost a letter behind.

Has anyone else come across this?  Any suggestions for fixes?

thanks,

--Sile

Sarah k Alawami

Yep I face the same issue. I tried to compose a mail in tBird and even with the advanced search off, I got between 5 and 10 seconds between letters and arrowing through the message, in fact my whole machine locked. Theres a huge memory leak somewhere and I want to find out whare.

On 1 Apr 2019, at 6:57, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

Hello all

I have just moved onto a Windows 10 machine and am running the latest version of Thunderbird and of NVDA.

When typing in thunderbird, there is some latency (I am echoing letters when typing).  It is almost a letter behind.

Has anyone else come across this?  Any suggestions for fixes?

thanks,

--Sile

Travis Siegel

I did have this problem when I first updated to the latest version of thunderbird, however, for whatever reason, it seems to have fixed itself.  No clue what changed, (nothing as far as I know), but obviously, something did, because the problem went away.  I'm using windows 8.1 and NVDA 2019.1 and thunderbird 60.6.1 if that makes a difference.

On 4/1/2019 9:57 AM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello all

I have just moved onto a Windows 10 machine and am running the latest version of Thunderbird and of NVDA.

When typing in thunderbird, there is some latency (I am echoing letters when typing).  It is almost a letter behind.

Has anyone else come across this?  Any suggestions for fixes?

thanks,

--Sile

Brian's Mail list account

Don't know about Tbird but the Alexa web based app seems to exhibit this issue, I put it down to a slow connection but if its doing it on offline stuff then maybe not?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I have just moved onto a Windows 10 machine and am running the latest version of Thunderbird and of NVDA.

When typing in thunderbird, there is some latency (I am echoing letters when typing). It is almost a letter behind.

Has anyone else come across this? Any suggestions for fixes?

thanks,

--Sile

John O'Regan <john.a.oregan@...>

Hi All,

Try booting your computer. Start NVDA. Kill any unnecessary
processes from Task Manager (Acrobat, Dropbox, iTunes, etc), and then
launch TB. Chances are there won't be a lag.

Start up the apps you can't live without one by one, and as soon as TB
lags, you'll know who the culprit is.

HTH!

John

Sarah k Alawami

Ihadno other apps running so for me it is TBird. It woudl lag until I quit the app.

Take care

On 1 Apr 2019, at 11:07, John O'Regan wrote:

Hi All,

Try booting your computer. Start NVDA. Kill any unnecessary
processes from Task Manager (Acrobat, Dropbox, iTunes, etc), and then
launch TB. Chances are there won't be a lag.

Start up the apps you can't live without one by one, and as soon as TB
lags, you'll know who the culprit is.

HTH!

John

Gene

I'm very skeptical that that will help.  If the computer were being used to that extent by processses, the whole computer would be intolerably slow.  This problem isn't complained of in other programs.  there is no reason to believe, based on what has been said and not said, that this is a general problem.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Latency when typing in Thunderbird

Hi All,

Try booting your computer.  Start NVDA.  Kill any unnecessary
processes from Task Manager (Acrobat, Dropbox, iTunes, etc), and then
launch TB.  Chances are there won't be a lag.

Start up the apps you can't live without one by one, and as soon as TB
lags, you'll know who the culprit is.

HTH!

John

Daniel Damacena

This kind of problem is the reason why I changed from thunderbird to gmail web client.
I  did not know it before, but it`s really accessible and it has a lot of helpful shortcuts.
What prevented me to know that was the fact that you need press nvda + space to make it accessible and to activate keyboard shortcuts on gmail settings.

--
Daniel Damacena

Rosemarie Chavarria

I had a problem with the sluggishness of thunderbird so I switched to the built-in mail app in windows 10.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Not getting it on this end and am using the latest thunder bird and the latest version of nvda and windows 10 version 1809.

Out of curiosity are you doing it from a braille display or the normal keyboard on a computer?

Gene nz

On 2/04/2019 9:49 AM, Daniel Damacena wrote:
[...]

I’m only noticing it in Thunderbird, even when I have other apps closed. The latency in applications like word, etc., is pretty nonexistent no matter how many processes are open. But the latency is always there and Thunderbird.

Sile

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 1:07 PM

Hi All,

Try booting your computer.  Start NVDA.  Kill any unnecessary
processes from Task Manager (Acrobat, Dropbox, iTunes, etc), and then
launch TB.  Chances are there won't be a lag.

Start up the apps you can't live without one by one, and as soon as TB
lags, you'll know who the culprit is.

HTH!

John

Curtis Delzer

I am noticing that a little in writing messages some also. Not much, but it is there.

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 1:07 PM

Hi All,

Try booting your computer.  Start NVDA.  Kill any unnecessary
processes from Task Manager (Acrobat, Dropbox, iTunes, etc), and then
launch TB.  Chances are there won't be a lag.

Start up the apps you can't live without one by one, and as soon as TB
lags, you'll know who the culprit is.

HTH!

John

Ron Canazzi

I never have had sluggishness issues with Thunderbird and NVDA. I know earlier versions of JAWS had all sorts of issues.  According to users of the latest version of JAWS, this should no longer be a problem.

[...]

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

This probloem seems to vary from one machine to another.  There is another one that seems to vary as well.  Some people complain that Thunderbird is slow to open messages and some people say it isn't.  the same is evidently true of this problem.

I wonder if there is some technical commonality in the machines that are slow.  I don't have the technical knowledge to speculate knowledgeably about what it might be but I wonder if it might have to do with hardware.  I don't know how a chip set is defined but I wonder if that might be a common cause.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 6:57 PM

[...]

Maybe it would disclose something interesting if people reporting these problems told us what brand and perhaps model of computer they have.  Perhaps some technically knowledgeable list members might find some commonality.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 7:36 PM

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 6:57 PM

[...]

I am running bootcamp on an apple macBook Pro,

--Sile

On 2019-04-01 8:53 p.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884 How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

Richard Wells

If you are using a high-footprint synthesizer or one that depends on SAPI5, that could have something to do with it. I am running Thunderbird on three machines with typing echo on and am not experiencing any latency.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 1:07 PM

Hi All,

Try booting your computer.  Start NVDA.  Kill any unnecessary
processes from Task Manager (Acrobat, Dropbox, iTunes, etc), and then
launch TB.  Chances are there won't be a lag.

Start up the apps you can't live without one by one, and as soon as TB
lags, you'll know who the culprit is.

HTH!

John

Sarah k Alawami

For me it's an origin pc 64 bit version of windows 32 gigs of ram 3 or 4 ghz processer and 6 ghz graphics card..

Take care

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 7:36 PM

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 6:57 PM

[...]

cisco

Hi there. I’m not experiencing any latency when typing and Thunderbird. As I said previously, I have a PC with the 12 GB of RAM, when terabyte of hard drive, and an eighth of June I seven. I have to say though that I had received four gigs of RAM, and I three and 293 gigs of Hyridge five and there was not late in Seattle. I wonder what this could be. Sorry for the errors, but I used dictation.

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 7:36 PM

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 6:57 PM

[...]

But wouldn’t I be seeing latency everywhere if that was the case?

Sile