Topics

Assistive technology research and development

Jeffrey McFarland

Is there an organization/foundation that is focused on assistive technology research and development, devices prototyping, improved device and computer software for people with disabilities.  For instance, were products like the Sunu band, Buzzclip, JAWS, NVDA, Window Narrator, Be my eyes, Aira, Seeing AI, WeWalk etc etc. funded by grants the same way something like LUXTURNA was in part funded by FFB? Its clear that Foundation Fighting Blindness excels in fundraising and fund allocation in clinical trails, medical research funding, medical prosthetic areas.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't think here is appropriate for this thread, but I do notice that we really need a world wide system, at present it seems that there are national organisations but with few teeth. The big problem at the moment is white goods not being accessible.
However this is all I'll say here.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 1:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Assistive technology research and development

Is there an organization/foundation that is focused on assistive technology research and development, devices prototyping, improved device and computer software for people with disabilities. For instance, were products like the Sunu band, Buzzclip, JAWS, NVDA, Window Narrator, Be my eyes, Aira, Seeing AI, WeWalk etc etc. funded by grants the same way something like LUXTURNA was in part funded by FFB? Its clear that Foundation Fighting Blindness excels in fundraising and fund allocation in clinical trails, medical research funding, medical prosthetic areas.

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Foundation fighting blindness is doing essentially that.  Fighting blindness.  They have no interest in improving quality of life for blind people and they make me seriously angry.  They do good research in vision health and they make money exploiting blind people doing so.  A win win for them.

NFB ocasionally funds a project.  AFB, CNIB and other agencies sometimes fund things, but primarily with an eye towards direct sales for recovering investment.  Some of the most interesting stuff on the market right now such as sunu, dotwatch and brailleme don't say where their funding came from, but I suspect the sources are as diverse as the companies and products.

The nfb keeps a log of misbegotten technologies built to help the blind.  White canes that deliver electric shock,  wayfinding devices that clap loudly so blind people can walk towards a sound.  That sort of nonsense.

So much of the stuff that gets built to help us gets nearly to production before any one asks whether it would be useful to the blind.  A world wide funding agency for blindness technology research could be either a godsend if it is run by the blind and keeps out the sensation mongers, or an atrocity if it uses fear of blindness to raise money and throws dollars at every shambling frankenstein cooked up in the basement of every dgooder who wants to help the blind but doesn't really want anything to do with blindness or blind people.

Best,

Erik

On April 3, 2019 8:54:44 PM "Jeffrey McFarland" <jmcfarland86@...> wrote:

Is there an organization/foundation that is focused on assistive technology research and development, devices prototyping, improved device and computer software for people with disabilities.  For instance, were products like the Sunu band, Buzzclip, JAWS, NVDA, Window Narrator, Be my eyes, Aira, Seeing AI, WeWalk etc etc. funded by grants the same way something like LUXTURNA was in part funded by FFB? Its clear that Foundation Fighting Blindness excels in fundraising and fund allocation in clinical trails, medical research funding, medical prosthetic areas.

JM Casey

I just came to this thread now because I’m one of the idiots who reads the messages in his inbox backwards, but that was a pretty interesting post.

I understand the anger but the “log of misbegotten technologies” has gotten me pretty interested.

Is this thing available for public browsing?

Lol

The world is full of such things, and not just for blind folks – always interesting to see the roads not (generally) taken.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: April 4, 2019 10:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Assistive technology research and development

Foundation fighting blindness is doing essentially that.  Fighting blindness.  They have no interest in improving quality of life for blind people and they make me seriously angry.  They do good research in vision health and they make money exploiting blind people doing so.  A win win for them.

NFB ocasionally funds a project.  AFB, CNIB and other agencies sometimes fund things, but primarily with an eye towards direct sales for recovering investment.  Some of the most interesting stuff on the market right now such as sunu, dotwatch and brailleme don't say where their funding came from, but I suspect the sources are as diverse as the companies and products.

The nfb keeps a log of misbegotten technologies built to help the blind.  White canes that deliver electric shock,  wayfinding devices that clap loudly so blind people can walk towards a sound.  That sort of nonsense.

So much of the stuff that gets built to help us gets nearly to production before any one asks whether it would be useful to the blind.  A world wide funding agency for blindness technology research could be either a godsend if it is run by the blind and keeps out the sensation mongers, or an atrocity if it uses fear of blindness to raise money and throws dollars at every shambling frankenstein cooked up in the basement of every dgooder who wants to help the blind but doesn't really want anything to do with blindness or blind people.

Best,

Erik

Gaylen Kapperman

I, also, am interested in taking a look at the list of misbegotten inventions to help us blind people. Where might we find the list? Is it available?

Gaylen Kapperman

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 1:20 PM

I just came to this thread now because I’m one of the idiots who reads the messages in his inbox backwards, but that was a pretty interesting post.

I understand the anger but the “log of misbegotten technologies” has gotten me pretty interested.

Lol

The world is full of such things, and not just for blind folks – always interesting to see the roads not (generally) taken.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of erik burggraaf

Best,

Erik

David Mehler

Hi,

Chiming in I am also interested in this log of misbegotten things. I'd
definitely like to browse it.

In his posting Erik mentioned a dotwatch, don't do it. That's all I'll
say onlist as the story is inflamatory, but if interested write me
privately.

Dave.

On 4/4/19, Gaylen Kapperman <gkapperman@niu.edu> wrote:

I, also, am interested in taking a look at the list of misbegotten
inventions to help us blind people. Where might we find the list? Is it
available?
Gaylen Kapperman

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2019 1:20 PM

I just came to this thread now because I’m one of the idiots who reads the
messages in his inbox backwards, but that was a pretty interesting post.
I understand the anger but the “log of misbegotten technologies” has gotten
me pretty interested.
Lol
The world is full of such things, and not just for blind folks – always
interesting to see the roads not (generally) taken.

<nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of erik
burggraaf
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Foundation fighting blindness is doing essentially that. Fighting
blindness. They have no interest in improving quality of life for blind
people and they make me seriously angry. They do good research in vision
health and they make money exploiting blind people doing so. A win win for
them.

NFB ocasionally funds a project. AFB, CNIB and other agencies sometimes
fund things, but primarily with an eye towards direct sales for recovering
investment. Some of the most interesting stuff on the market right now such
as sunu, dotwatch and brailleme don't say where their funding came from, but
I suspect the sources are as diverse as the companies and products.

The nfb keeps a log of misbegotten technologies built to help the blind.
White canes that deliver electric shock, wayfinding devices that clap
loudly so blind people can walk towards a sound. That sort of nonsense.

So much of the stuff that gets built to help us gets nearly to production
before any one asks whether it would be useful to the blind. A world wide
funding agency for blindness technology research could be either a godsend
if it is run by the blind and keeps out the sensation mongers, or an
atrocity if it uses fear of blindness to raise money and throws dollars at
every shambling frankenstein cooked up in the basement of every dgooder who
wants to help the blind but doesn't really want anything to do with
blindness or blind people.

Best,

Erik

On April 3, 2019 8:54:44 PM "Jeffrey McFarland"
<jmcfarland86@gmail.com<mailto:jmcfarland86@gmail.com>> wrote:

Is there an organization/foundation that is focused on assistive technology
research and development, devices prototyping, improved device and computer
software for people with disabilities. For instance, were products like the
Sunu band, Buzzclip, JAWS, NVDA, Window Narrator, Be my eyes, Aira, Seeing
AI, WeWalk etc etc. funded by grants the same way something like LUXTURNA
was in part funded by FFB? Its clear that Foundation Fighting Blindness
excels in fundraising and fund allocation in clinical trails, medical
research funding, medical prosthetic areas.