I Can't get the latest version of NVDA to install

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

Hi all,

I went to:

and downloaded a very small file that looks like it is suppose to install NVDA.  When I open it, I get a few seconds of music and then nothing.

I have tried with both Chrome and IE for over 24 hours now.  So, maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,

James B

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

is this the first time you have ever installed NVDA or have you had a earlier version.

the file that wouldive come down would be named nvda 2019.1.exe and when you click on it or try to get it to load it will make a musical sound then come up with a documentation screen. YOu will need to agree to it by pressing the space bar then tab to the first option which will be install to your computer then press the enter key. If it seems to be getting stuck installing it it might be that the UAC screen has come up and nvda can not see it if this is the case use the ALT key + letter Y to say yes to it and it should keep on installing then say it has been installed  with a ok button.

Or is it just not going any further after you hear the sound?

Gene nz

On 8/04/2019 1:45 PM, James Bentley wrote:
Hi all,

I went to:

and downloaded a very small file that looks like it is suppose to install NVDA.  When I open it, I get a few seconds of music and then nothing.

I have tried with both Chrome and IE for over 24 hours now.  So, maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,

James B

Sky Mundell

Hello James. To be honest, I have a client who has been trying to install NVDA and he has been having that exact same problem as you have. Did you scan your computer for virus’s, etc? also did you make sure that any of your virus software is shut down, etc? Because it sounds to me like something is blocking the installation. That can happen if you have disc defragmentation utilities, and all sorts of clean up utilities on your computer.

and downloaded a very small file that looks like it is suppose to install NVDA.  When I open it, I get a few seconds of music and then nothing.

I have tried with both Chrome and IE for over 24 hours now.  So, maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,

James B

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...>

I have downloaded it two times in the past with other laptops.  But, the first time for this laptop.

I do not get past the music.  No dialog  at all.  I did try alt+y just in case.

I have tried to save this and run it.  I have tried to just run it.  Same results.

Maybe their server has been down for over one day.

The only thing that I have recently changed on my end is just that I upgraded to Jaws 2019 on both computers.  Of course, I tried J17 just in case.  No dice.

Cheers,

James B

--
Image NVDA
        certified expert

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

hurrikennyandopo ...

hi

I am wondering if it is getting blocked by your anti virus program if this is the case you will need to give it a exception so it can install.

Could you tell me if it is about a 22 meg file? if not it may of not got downloaded properly or the file may of got corrupted

I just noted the size on a beta file of it.

If this is the case grab a new copy of it.

Could you also check under control panel even though it may not have installed under programs and features to make sure it is not there.

Also under  press the windows key + letter R then when the run dialogue comes up type in the following %appdata% make sure there is no nvda directory and if there is delete it out then close that page with alt key + f4 key.

I think you said you had jaws 19  so you could use that to do it

?

Then re install nvda with the good working copy.

Gene nz

On 8/04/2019 2:27 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

I just downloaded the latest copy of it just then the server is up.I am guessing your copy is a full download? like mentioned in the previous email.

If need be i can drop box the one i just downloaded.

[...]

OK, NVDA is not listed in programs and features.

When I pasted your string in to the run menu, I was able to find a message that I opened in NotePad.  It is as follows:

2018:01:31 09:16:12:961 Could not recognize operation: B!

2018:01:31 09:16:12:975 DifxFrontend failed!

***

The download from NV Access is around 22 MB.  But what I find in my downloads folder is under one MB.  Don’t know what’s with that.

I have deleted the file from my downloads folder several times and replaced it with a new download with the same results.  Are there other safe places to grab NVDA?

Now, I sure ain’t no kind of a PC genius but I am wondering about two things.

First, I did turn off Malwarebytes real time protection with no luck.  I do not know how to turn off Windows Defender.  So, can anyone help me with that?  Just in case Defender is the culprit!

Also, I wonder if I would have any luck trying to install an older version of NVDA.  And, then, just updating that.

I’m sure there is a lesson to be learned here.  Even if it is just that NV Access has a server that is down.

All help is greatly appreciated.

James BCheers,

[...]

It looks like I am not getting the full download.  I would love to know why.

In the mean time, I would definitely appreciate you drop boxing me the file.

Thanks,

James B

[...]

Have another screen-reader running when you run the installer.  That way, you will know if any messages appear on screen when you run it.  Or at least you will have a good chance of knowing.  Instead of doing lots of other things first, such as checking for malware or some other problem, do this first.  When something like this happens, do something to try to get more information if you don't have a screen-reader running when you have the problem.

[...]

Malware Bytes and Windows Defender aren't causing the problem.  If they were, many others would be having the problem and also, if either program thought it was malware, they wouldn't let it download and run at all, not even to the extent of playing music.

[...]

Zachary Morris <morriszachary99@...>

Hello,

Another source to download nvda from is www.ninite.com/accessible. You can find other applications that are accessible there as well. To turn off windows defender, go to settings > update and security and then go under windows security and then you should  be able to find it there. Sorry I forgot how to do it from there. These directions are assuming that you use windows 10. If you are running something other than windows 10, I don't know how to do that.

On 4/7/2019 22:19, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

For the latest version you can grab it from my drop box account at https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg23n7knez2pzyx/nvda_2019.1.exe?dl=0

It sounds if it is only 1 meg or so it is still downloading and the full version is about 22 meg.

You can check on your downloads by pressing the CTRL key + letter J to bring up the downloader in your browser.

Could i ask also what version of Windows are you running as if it is XP or vista you can only go up to nvda 2017.3 but 7 and up you can grab the latest.

Gene nz

On 8/04/2019 3:23 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

I run windows defender and it does not usually block it only when you go to install nvda the usual UAC screen comes up. I do not think it is that causing it on his computer

Gene nz

On 8/04/2019 4:22 PM, Zachary Morris wrote:

[...]

if there was no nvda under the programs and features page then it was not installed. But couldive got a bad download or install.

So when you pressed the Windows key + letter R then typed in the run dialogue box the following %appdata% then press the enter key it would of put you in a roaming folder any how here is where you would see other folders which have settings in folders for other programs. If there is a folder called nvda locate it and delete it out then close that screen.

Then reinstall with a good copy like i have drop boxed.

But it sounded like if only a meg in the download folder it was still downloading and when fully downloaded it shouldive been about 22 meg or so.

[...]

Ninite also did not work.  I must have some setting messed up on my PC some where.  I may call the MS Disability desk tomorrow.

I’m using Win10 1809.  And, I will be back to the Ninite site for some other software that I found.

Think I will shut it down for tonight but, wow, did I ever get a lot of help from you guys.

Thanks so very much.  All of you are great!

James B

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I am a little worried about the page you used. Http is not usually what I see for a start.
Its surely https these days.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

http://www.nvaccess.org/

and downloaded a very small file that looks like it is suppose to install NVDA. When I open it, I get a few seconds of music and then nothing.

I have tried with both Chrome and IE for over 24 hours now. So, maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,

James B

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884 How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I can positively say, that Defender and msse do not interfere with any installation of nvda.
[...]

If you want it to download with no prompt from the dropbox link given.
Cut and paste the link into notepad, change the0 at the end to a 1 and then cut it from there and paste it directly into the address bar of the browser.
I'd also suggest that if you have other browsers on the machine you try it with a different one as it could be that the browser has become faulty somehow. it is always a good thing to have more then one browser.
[...]

Felix G.

Hi,
the music is expected, and is the NVDA audio logo. I'm quite sure that
this is not an anti-malware problem, as the fact it's playing music
clearly indicates it's executing.
Have you tried using Narrator to grab any and all messages it might
display when it fails?
Have you tried running it with admin privileges? Do not do that if at
all unsure about whether or not it's the correct file.
Best,
Felix

cisco

I can say that as well