Silent Install

Luke Thomson

Hi all,

I have been testing NVDA with SCCM before rolling it out to our users. I have tried a few methods and hit a couple of stumbling blocks, namely that the 'install.exe --install-silent' command doesn't seem to work - the installer pops up regardless of whether I add the switch or not. Also I can't find any switches to run the uninstaller silently. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Many thanks,
Luke

Chris

No apostrophe are required

For example:

nvda_2019.x.x.exe --install-silent

Sent: 09 April 2019 15:25
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Silent Install

Hi all,

I have been testing NVDA with SCCM before rolling it out to our users. I have tried a few methods and hit a couple of stumbling blocks, namely that the 'install.exe --install-silent' command doesn't seem to work - the installer pops up regardless of whether I add the switch or not. Also I can't find any switches to run the uninstaller silently. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Many thanks,

Luke

Hi,
Could anyone please explain to me what it's about?
Where I use the command "--install-silent"?
I got interested because perhaps I'll need to use this feature that I think you guys are talking about on a project or the other.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 09/04/2019 13:49, Chris via Groups.Io disse:

No apostrophe are required

For example:

nvda_2019.x.x.exe --install-silent

Sent: 09 April 2019 15:25
Subject: [nvda] Silent Install

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Luke

Luke Thomson

To clarify - I don't use any apostrophes when running the command, that was just to format my post.

Whenever I try to run with that switch, a setup windows pops up saying 'Please wait while NVDA is being installed'.

Luke Thomson

It means that the installer should run silently in the background - so no windows popping up or any user interaction with the installer. It's very useful when deploying applications to managed machines as it prevents the user from interacting with the installation and potentially causing issues.

Chris

I don’t know if any dialog pops up or not when I do a silent install

But that switch shouldn’t allow any interaction whilst installing, its always worked for me

Sent: 10 April 2019 08:35
Subject: Re: [nvda] Silent Install

To clarify - I don't use any apostrophes when running the command, that was just to format my post.

Whenever I try to run with that switch, a setup windows pops up saying 'Please wait while NVDA is being installed'.

Luke Thomson

It's strange - it's not a full interactive installer but a small window with a loading bar and that message appears. Ideally I'd like the software to show nothing at all and install completely in the background.

Luke Thomson

Update: I've found that the uninstaller can be run silently with the '/S' and '/SD' switches (case sensitive).

The uninstaller is based on Nullsoft which has the following commands: http://www.silentinstall.org/nsis

Interesting! Is there any way where I could read more about it?
Also, is there a way to install any program following this method?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Em 10/04/2019 04:37, Luke Thomson via Groups.Io disse:

It means that the installer should run silently in the background - so no windows popping up or any user interaction with the installer. It's very useful when deploying applications to managed machines as it prevents the user from interacting with the installation and potentially causing issues.

Kevin Cussick

Ok, missed it can you give the exact command might be worth trying thanks.

On 10/04/2019 08:37, Luke Thomson via Groups.I wrote:

nvda --install-silent
By the way it's listed in the userguide :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Em 10/04/2019 18:10, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io disse:

Ok,   missed it can you give the exact command might be worth trying thanks.

Kevin Cussick

thanks I now it was somewhere in the user guide! but asking would save a bit of time.

On 11/04/2019 00:12, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
nvda --install-silent
By the way it's listed in the userguide :)
Cheers,
Marcio
AKA /Starboy/
Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/coolbutpsycho>
Em 10/04/2019 18:10, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io disse:
Ok, missed it can you give the exact command might be worth trying thanks.