purchasing Kindle book using NVDA


Mary Otten
 

Hi all,


I am a member of Kindle Unlimited, which lets you read a certain number of books for free. On the web page for any given KU book, you have a choice of "buying" it for 0 dollars or paying the Kindle price. I find that I can't actually buy a KU book at the regular Kindle price using NVDA. I can get focus there and I have tried NVDA key plus numpad enter. I've tried the key on the numpad that simulates a left click. This control for making the purchase isn't in the tab order, so I can't tab to it. I've tried the regular enter key and no go. I managed to actually get the job done using my phone. But I'd like to be able to do it with nvda and firefox.


Mary


Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

WE had this query before and as I recall its an authoring error on the page but some browsers seem to work better.
Does anyone recall the work around as I don't use Kindle any more myself.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@comcast.net>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 3:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] purchasing Kindle book using NVDA


Hi all,


I am a member of Kindle Unlimited, which lets you read a certain number of books for free. On the web page for any given KU book, you have a choice of "buying" it for 0 dollars or paying the Kindle price. I find that I can't actually buy a KU book at the regular Kindle price using NVDA. I can get focus there and I have tried NVDA key plus numpad enter. I've tried the key on the numpad that simulates a left click. This control for making the purchase isn't in the tab order, so I can't tab to it. I've tried the regular enter key and no go. I managed to actually get the job done using my phone. But I'd like to be able to do it with nvda and firefox.


Mary



 

See the results of this archive search:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search?ev=false&q=Kindle+purchase&ct=1

then search on those specifically for the word "purchase."   There are three topics that are relatively recent (mid-2018 and on) that seem to deal directly with this issue (and this very topic comes up first - the others are a number down the page).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.

           ~ Edward Abbey

 

 


Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I think, Brian a lot of people read via email to try to keep away from the web versions of lists, but thanks for the input.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] purchasing Kindle book using NVDA


See the results of this archive search: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search?ev=false&q=Kindle+purchase&ct=1

then search on those specifically for the word "purchase." There are three topics that are relatively recent (mid-2018 and on) that seem to deal directly with this issue (and this very topic comes up first - the others are a number down the page).
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.*

~ Edward Abbey


 

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 01:24 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I think, Brian a lot of people read via email to try to keep away from the web versions of lists, but thanks for the input.
That may be the case, but it makes a lot more sense to learn how to search the group archives to find content you know has been discussed.   It's not hard to do, either, and generally proves to be a lot quicker if you teach yourself how to do it and know that something has been discussed.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.

           ~ Edward Abbey

 

 


hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi Brian


I was not really following the thread on which browser was the easiest to use to get the books but have just written up a basic tutorial for kindle for pc for nvda. I could mention the successful steps using the browser for others to duplicate.


I do think it is more there web page but you get different results with different browsers.


By the way your tutorial was posted last night to the nvda tutorials for other programs page under Microsoft word the basic's i think it is called. I still have other material to go up before i let the list know but recent updates are on the main page of the website.


Gene nz


Gene nz


On 10/04/2019 5:12 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
See the results of this archive search:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search?ev=false&q=Kindle+purchase&ct=1

then search on those specifically for the word "purchase."   There are three topics that are relatively recent (mid-2018 and on) that seem to deal directly with this issue (and this very topic comes up first - the others are a number down the page).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.

           ~ Edward Abbey

 

 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net
 
Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa).
To find out which software is installed on the APNK network please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda
 

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to the following links. Software available  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884  How to start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers  https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/
 
To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

It can be, but I think a lot of people come at it with a bad taste from other lists, github is a case in point. I reckon I know what I'm doing but have little success at finding staringly obvious similar issues!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] purchasing Kindle book using NVDA


On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 01:24 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:


I think, Brian a lot of people read via email to try to keep away from the
web versions of lists, but thanks for the input.
That may be the case, but it makes a lot more sense to learn how to search the group archives to find content you know has been discussed. It's not hard to do, either, and generally proves to be a lot quicker if you teach yourself how to do it and know that something has been discussed.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.*

~ Edward Abbey


Kwork
 

When using either Firefox or Chrome, I press the space bar on the purchase for the price amount, right below the read now button, then arrow down. Pressing the spacebar on the purchase for $0, for instance assuming that's the price, opens up further options below that line including a buy now button.

Travis

On 4/9/2019 7:50 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi all,


I am a member of Kindle Unlimited, which lets you read a certain number of books for free. On the web page for any given KU book, you have a choice of "buying" it for 0 dollars or paying the Kindle price. I find that I can't actually buy a KU book at the regular Kindle price using NVDA. I can get focus there and I have tried NVDA key plus numpad enter. I've tried the key on the numpad that simulates a left click. This control for making the purchase isn't in the tab order, so I can't tab to it. I've tried the regular enter key and no go. I managed to actually get the job done using my phone. But I'd like to be able to do it with nvda and firefox.


Mary



.


Mary Otten
 

Thanks, Travis. It appears that help or replies like this will not be welcome in future because we’re all supposed to go and look in the archives like we have all day to do that. Thank you again.

On Apr 13, 2019, at 5:47 PM, Kwork <istherelife@gmail.com> wrote:

When using either Firefox or Chrome, I press the space bar on the purchase for the price amount, right below the read now button, then arrow down. Pressing the spacebar on the purchase for $0, for instance assuming that's the price, opens up further options below that line including a buy now button.

Travis

On 4/9/2019 7:50 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi all,


I am a member of Kindle Unlimited, which lets you read a certain number of books for free. On the web page for any given KU book, you have a choice of "buying" it for 0 dollars or paying the Kindle price. I find that I can't actually buy a KU book at the regular Kindle price using NVDA. I can get focus there and I have tried NVDA key plus numpad enter. I've tried the key on the numpad that simulates a left click. This control for making the purchase isn't in the tab order, so I can't tab to it. I've tried the regular enter key and no go. I managed to actually get the job done using my phone. But I'd like to be able to do it with nvda and firefox.


Mary



.


Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Wow--I don't have all day to search the archives for an answer to a question I might need help with. I guess I better be careful about asking questions. I won't say anything more.

On 4/13/2019 9:06 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Thanks, Travis. It appears that help or replies like this will not be welcome in future because we’re all supposed to go and look in the archives like we have all day to do that. Thank you again.
On Apr 13, 2019, at 5:47 PM, Kwork <istherelife@gmail.com> wrote:

When using either Firefox or Chrome, I press the space bar on the purchase for the price amount, right below the read now button, then arrow down. Pressing the spacebar on the purchase for $0, for instance assuming that's the price, opens up further options below that line including a buy now button.

Travis

On 4/9/2019 7:50 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Hi all,


I am a member of Kindle Unlimited, which lets you read a certain number of books for free. On the web page for any given KU book, you have a choice of "buying" it for 0 dollars or paying the Kindle price. I find that I can't actually buy a KU book at the regular Kindle price using NVDA. I can get focus there and I have tried NVDA key plus numpad enter. I've tried the key on the numpad that simulates a left click. This control for making the purchase isn't in the tab order, so I can't tab to it. I've tried the regular enter key and no go. I managed to actually get the job done using my phone. But I'd like to be able to do it with nvda and firefox.


Mary



.