New Member.

Judy Jones <sonshines59@...>

Greetings To The List,

My name is Judy Jones, and I am mainly a Jaws user, but am going to start using NVDA more, and thought this list would be a great resource.

Are there things that Jaws can do that NVDA does not do so well?  I have already found a couple things NVDA does better than Jaws, and would like to hear all pros and cons.

Thanks to a special friend of mine whom I hope is on the list, I now have Eloquence as my NVDA TTS.

Thanks to all, and also to the one who helped me find this list.

Judy

Gene

In JAWS, you can define graphics.  You can't in NVDA.  As far as I know, because I'm not using a recent version, you can't, in NVDA, change the order in which information is spoken such as button followed by text as opposed to text followed by button or the order in which visited link is spoken, before or after the text of the link.

You can't define frames, as you can in JAWS and have actions taken when a frame contains certain text or have that part of the screen that is in the frame read when you issue a command to do so.

I haven't used JAWS for many years and others may have more comparisons.  But, though NVDA will meet the needs of a lot of people, there are cases where it won't, or at least it won't unless someone writes some sort of script for NVDA.  So in certain ways, JAWS is more user definable.

My name is Judy Jones, and I am mainly a Jaws user, but am going to start using NVDA more, and thought this list would be a great resource.

Are there things that Jaws can do that NVDA does not do so well?  I have already found a couple things NVDA does better than Jaws, and would like to hear all pros and cons.

Thanks to a special friend of mine whom I hope is on the list, I now have Eloquence as my NVDA TTS.

Thanks to all, and also to the one who helped me find this list.

Judy

Judy Jones <sonshines59@...>

Thank you, Gene, good information to know.

On a daily use, does NVDA meet the demands of a fast-paced job, assuming that you can access a major portion of what is needed?  In my job, I found Jaws had some limitations with clunky work-arounds, but not often, and did not compromise my productivity.  Just trying to keep my questions in perspective.  Thanks.

Judy

[...]

People may be able to answer the question to an extent by discussing certain kinds of jobs or uses on jobs, but to answer your question for your specific job, people would have to know how you use a computer, what prohgrams you use, and if you use specialized programs and what they are.

[...]

           This may also end up being a "tool to task" situation, too.   I've seen both NVDA and JAWS be better at doing one thing or another, and if you know that you'll be doing that one thing, versus another, switching between screen readers is often the solution.

           For those in Windows 10 environments it's almost certain that Narrator will be coming into the mix more and more, too, as Microsoft is making major revisions to its command structure to make it far more JAWS-like (and NVDA-like, for that matter).

           ~ Edward Abbey

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well I suppose that all depends on the software you use and what you use them for. I think its still fair to say sometimes nvda can be slower in some office applications, but then some may not notice this in general use. For any power user though there can be issues, but generally in use I find nvda a good all rounder and preferable for home use. It seems more logical than the bolted on bits in Jaws does.
I'll hope you have a legal copy of Eloquence but please don't tell us if you don't!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

My name is Judy Jones, and I am mainly a Jaws user, but am going to start
using NVDA more, and thought this list would be a great resource.

Are there things that Jaws can do that NVDA does not do so well? I have
already found a couple things NVDA does better than Jaws, and would like to
hear all pros and cons.

Thanks to a special friend of mine whom I hope is on the list, I now have
Eloquence as my NVDA TTS.

Thanks to all, and also to the one who helped me find this list.

Judy

Judy Jones <sonshines59@...>

I'm pretty sure I do, thanks Brian.

Judy

My name is Judy Jones, and I am mainly a Jaws user, but am going to start
using NVDA more, and thought this list would be a great resource.

Are there things that Jaws can do that NVDA does not do so well? I have
already found a couple things NVDA does better than Jaws, and would like
hear all pros and cons.

Thanks to a special friend of mine whom I hope is on the list, I now have
Eloquence as my NVDA TTS.

Thanks to all, and also to the one who helped me find this list.

Judy

Judy Jones <sonshines59@...>

Thank you, I have used NVDA for isolated instances, but plan to use it more to get more of a feel for its parameters.

Judy

           This may also end up being a "tool to task" situation, too.   I've seen both NVDA and JAWS be better at doing one thing or another, and if you know that you'll be doing that one thing, versus another, switching between screen readers is often the solution.

           For those in Windows 10 environments it's almost certain that Narrator will be coming into the mix more and more, too, as Microsoft is making major revisions to its command structure to make it far more JAWS-like (and NVDA-like, for that matter).

           ~ Edward Abbey

Judy Jones <sonshines59@...>

I understand, I was just trying to get a general sense of the usability.

Thanks.

Judy

[...]

Mallard

You'd better do that, Judy... lol

If you don't, I'll send Ozzie to take your Optacon away! lol

Welcome to this group!

Ciao,

Ollie