Topics

Quick Navigation By Heading In MS Word Focus Mode

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I presently switch to browse mode in MS Word and use standard quick
navigation commands to navigate heading by heading. However, there is
a certain scenario in which I need to be heavily multitasking, often
not listening to NVDA at all but constantly taking notes, navigating
to different sections (sorted by headings) of the Word document whilst
constantly inputting text under each section. A problem I am commonly
facing whilst doing this activity is forgetting to switch between
focus mode and browse mode in Word, due to which I sometimes miss
taking crucial notes as I am paying attention to something else rather
than hear NVDA frantically say "not supported in this document" as I
am typing while still in browse mode, or fail to navigate in the
document and instead enter text like "hhhh" since I am still in focus
ode.

One way in which I imagine solving this problem is if I were able to
navigate heading by heading whilst in focus mode itself in MS Word. I
use Word 2016, and I seem to have some recollection of having read
about the ability to performing heading navigation using Word 2016's
Find functionality or via key commands along the lines of
Ctrl+Alt+PgUp/PgDn. In case heading navigation by some internal Word
2016 functionality is possible, please explain the process of making
use of that.

I would truly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com

Jonathan COHN

My apologies that I am a bit rusty on this, but if you have a chance to play with word a bit you should be able to figure things out from my below description. If not, I can be more specific later.

If you use the search / goto panel in Microsoft Word, then the next page previous page functions will instead move you to the next / previous search item or go to type from that panel. My memory is that you have to use control-pageUp and control-pageDown in order for the screen reader / focus to move to these places.
Again my apologies for not being more specific, I haven't used this feature in two or three Word releases.
- Jonathan

On 4/12/19, 8:55 AM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Bhavya shah" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Dear Jonathan,

I am aware that Ctrl+F brings up the Word Find dialog. I am also aware
of the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to go to the previous/next
occurrence of the searched string. However, I am not exactly sure how
I can use Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to move to the previous/next headingg. I
would appreciate some more specificity in this regard.

Thanks.

On 4/12/19, Cohn, Jonathan <jcohn@air.org> wrote:
[...]

Akshaya Choudhary

While there isn't an NVDA command for this, it is possible in Word:

1) Press CONTROL+H (This is the replace command, but it ensures the dialog opens, rather than the task pane)

2) Press ALT+M to activate the "More" button to show more options (if already activated the button becomes "Less" and alt+m doesn't do anything further).

3) Press ALT+O to open the Format button / menu.

4. select the 'style' button from this menu
5.select the heading level from the dialogue box which appears next
6. press alt F to find next
7. press ESC to close the find dialogue box
8. use the up and down arrow keys with ctrl  to navigate between headings while in focus mode
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Bhavya shah

Dear Sociohack,

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I am now able to
navigate heading by heading whilst in focus mode itself in Word. I
would like to suggest just one alteration in your instructions based
on what just worked for me - in step 8, I use Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn rather
than Ctrl+up/down arrows to move to the previous and next headings.

Thanks.

On 4/13/19, Sociohack AC <acsociopath@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

 Thank you for pointing out the error. It was a mistake on my part.
--
Regards,
Sociohack