Topics

new dropbox rules

Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

What does that mean?

Nothing, except that dropbox remembers every device and session ever made.

So you reformat your computer or change your account name, or get another computer and don't unlink first, your device becomes a ghost device same with app programs, and brouser sessions.

1.  sign into dropbox.

The easiest way to do this is to login with your own client, click the tray icon and launch dropbox.

Now near the top of the page is a menu called my account hit space on that, scroll down to settings, hit shift space to exit forms mode then hit enter.

Don't move about else things will just not work right.

Now dropbox settings load.

hit control home for the top of the page then h.

2.  select security tab, in the same way, enter forms mode once you scroll down to the list of tabs, and locate security.

get out of forms mode and hit enter.

Next control home again.

then hit t.

3.  The next thing to do is locate every session in the first table which has an end session button it and hit the space bar till they are all gone.

Next  locate the device tree which is directly below the brouser treeview.

The first device in the list is your device.

scroll to the end of that list.

Every device you have ever linked including every ghost device linked in the past will exist, I had 6, my dad had 2.

Hit unlink button on all the devices bar the one that says its been modified in the last hour.

Every other device will have a time when it was last valid.

Finally go through the steps of going to my account, then settingss however next select the connected apps view.

Then disconnect every app you don't use and service.

If you need to link devices take note of the devices you want to connect.

A basic user can connect up to 3 devices.

Those can be a computer, a phone and one other device or 3 computers.

You can buy, but to be honest, if you get this warning and are only using 1 device, then you probably have a lot of ghost devices.

I'd also update your password at this time if you have forgotten it if you havn't allready.

I'd also check to see if you know what all the devices you have are, if you find something you don't know, then chances are someone has hacked your account or you linked to a device somewhere else.

In a way this while annoying is good in a way.

I had no idea dropbox kept all devices from all reformats and all times I had changed dropbox.

I had 6 devices, 1 is my device I had.

The next one before that was my old win7 device which I may relink later.

The rest were my win7 and xp devices and their reformats including profile changes etc.

My apps were not needed ones and I clobbered them.

As for my brouser sessions including the current one there were 19 others which were still signed in from devices that were no longer active.

In the case of my dad's system, there were 2 devices, the current one, and an older instance of the same device which existed before it, its good to know that I was able to kill things.

Now I know about this, if I need to reformat my first thing after I get back in is to kill the ghost devices that linger inactive after the fact.

This actually is a good reason to check security on my account if anything else.

Its worth noting that if you need more space and upgrade you won't have to bother with this though even if you do knowing what I had, its worth looking at the site anyway.

I didn't need all those 20 sessions logged in at once, nore did I need the 6 devices 4 of which were ghosts of old linked devices and one which is not on the network.

I guess knowing that I could link that one but even so I will be carefull to check every linked system I service to make sure its all clear of stuff that shouldn't be on it.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

How does this affect shared folders?
I assume if others share with you and you share with them then its no issue.
So what is the system doing about people like us who used to have xp machines in, or our office whose account has 5 machines in use daily as well as one phone?

I read the email mystified about it and wondering if it was in fact phishing as there have been no email warnings or anything which seems to me to be pretty poor practice.
So did you find the web site really navigable with nvda or did you need to go to Jaws or maybe do it on an I phone?
How much is involved in the upgrrade I looked at this some time ago and the site is very hard to use and figure it out.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Hi if you have an Iphone its considerably easier. I won't clutter here with it, but I just removed a computer I do not have and
a second occurrence of one I do have before I changed the password. something I cannot now do on the pc due to the problem of my computer no longer reading the log in from the desktop app.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Giles Turnbull

Hi Brian,

regarding the cost of upgrading, I upgraded to a Plus account becuase I use DropBox a lot and was getting close to filling my basic subscription with a small increase in space from recommending DropBox to my mother. I get 1Tb of space and it costs ‘£79 per year ‘You’ll be charged £79.00 including applicable tax, (minus any applicable credits or promos) yearly until you cancel your subscription.’

Giles

Hi Shaun,
Good warning. Off to check my Dropbox account right now.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/04/2019 02:09, Shaun Everiss disse:

Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Richard Wells

Thank you so much for this. Messages like this one make this list of
most importance to me personally. Following your instructions, I was
able to unlink many Apps.

On 4/13/2019 12:09 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Same here :)
I just finished all the process now.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/04/2019 11:40, Richard Wells disse:

Thank you so much for this. Messages like this one make this list of
most importance to me personally. Following your instructions, I was
able to unlink many Apps.

On 4/13/2019 12:09 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

This is why I'm switching everything over slowly to degoo. Email me in private for an invite link. We could get a conversation started to get the appsmore accessible if they are not already.

Take care

On 12 Apr 2019, at 22:09, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

I believe it won't affect machines or devices already in use.
For example, if you have 5machines already connected, it will still work, except that you won't be able to connect new devices.
Re navigating through the page, it's quite accessible following Shaun's instructions :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/04/2019 07:53, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io disse:

How does this affect shared folders?
I assume if others share with you and you share with them then its no issue.
So what is the system doing about people like us who used to have xp machines in, or our office whose account has 5 machines in use daily as well as one phone?

I read the email mystified about it and wondering if it was in fact phishing as there have been no email warnings or anything which seems to me to be pretty poor practice.
So did you find the web site  really navigable with nvda or did you need to go to Jaws or maybe do it on an I phone?
How much is involved in the upgrrade I looked at this some time ago and the site is very hard to use and figure it out.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@...>
This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Fernando Apan

Good morning.

First of all, thank you so much for that advice. The instructions were very clear. I did it all by my self and it was not difficult at all.

I'm interested in knowing about degoo, what is that APP? Is it accesible with NVDA?

Thanks in advance

Fernando Apan.

El 13/04/2019 a las 10:33, Sarah k Alawami escribió:

This is why I'm switching everything over slowly to degoo. Email me in private for an invite link. We could get a conversation started to get the appsmore accessible if they are not already.

Take care

On 12 Apr 2019, at 22:09, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

I'm quite interesting on knowing more of this one as well.
But, as it's not NVDA-related at all anymore, I'd suggest we move it to the chat subgroup.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/04/2019 12:42, Fernando Apan disse:

Good morning.

First of all, thank you so much for that advice. The instructions were very clear. I did it all by my self and it was not difficult at all.

I'm interested in knowing about degoo, what is that APP? Is it accesible with NVDA?

Thanks in advance

Fernando Apan.
El 13/04/2019 a las 10:33, Sarah k Alawami escribió:

This is why I'm switching everything over slowly to degoo. Email me in private for an invite link. We could get a conversation started to get the appsmore accessible if they are not already.

Take care

On 12 Apr 2019, at 22:09, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

I dunno if it is accessible with nvda. I don't really use my windows machine much. But you can try it out and report to support. The ore blind people that get on board the more we can make our voices heard. [here is my invite link](https://cloud.degoo.com/drive-hlhtiu1fzwku) the android app is perfect, 100 percent accessible. But yeah contact support and explain what nvda is, do screen caps and screen recordings to show them where the trouble spot is and wrote 5 page memos explaining in detail what is wrong and how to fix it. This use to be part of my job, so I'm used to it

On 13 Apr 2019, at 8:42, Fernando Apan wrote:

Good morning.

First of all, thank you so much for that advice. The instructions were very clear. I did it all by my self and it was not difficult at all.

I'm interested in knowing about degoo, what is that APP? Is it accesible with NVDA?

Thanks in advance

Fernando Apan.
El 13/04/2019 a las 10:33, Sarah k Alawami escribió:

This is why I'm switching everything over slowly to degoo. Email me in private for an invite link. We could get a conversation started to get the appsmore accessible if they are not already.

Take care

On 12 Apr 2019, at 22:09, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Hi all.

This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Where is the chat subgroup?

Thanks.

Fernando Apan.

El 13/04/2019 a las 10:42, marcio via Groups.Io escribió:
[...]

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Firstly no it does not effect shared folders.

Iff you have machines linked daily, they will stay linked.

But if you for any reason need to reformat, or something you will not be able to link till your linked devices are cleared.

If you need to use more than 3 units at one time, and for a basic user its highly unlikely you should need many units, I have a few suggestions.

1.  while a real pain, buying an upgrade to your account may be the easiest option.

2.  you can of course use the website for unlimited devices its all the linked client deals.

I suggest you view your devices, any machines with new profiles on accounts, reformats, xp and other wise, well the older units will exist but be inactive.

You may need to make other accounts for extra machines if you really need that.

To be honest, if you are really using more then 3 units daily, and don't want to pay for dropbox storage space, you could buy google storage space.

While its quite a lot for over 2tb of storage, a 100-200mb storage space doesn't cost that much.

On icloud its a little more but 200 mb is still only 10 bucks, dropbox is 9 bucks for 1tb though.

To be honest if it is part of your work and or something you really use, I'd try to stomach all the stuff that went with it and get the full office 360, that can be 100 or so a year but you get office, the space, and basically the skype version of your cellphone plan from any previder.

There is no reason for anyone to need more than 3 devices, 2 at most.

If you really need to sync things and while you will not be able to use a credit card, it may be easier to buy resilio home pro for 50 bucks, you will need the space to sync folders but you can supposedly selective sync the folders and share keys about.

How many of the devices are daily uses, and how many devices do you need synced.

If its 5 fine, but I doubt its really that.

For saldom used devices, maybe its easier to unlink everything bar the most used devices your phone and at least 1 pc instance, then simply transfer about.

I have another pc on win7 about, but I don't really need to sync that with dropbox as such for what I use it for though I guess I can do that I just have to remember to police my device and session lists thats not a real issue if you think about it.

To be honest, I'd like an ability to have a device if not used in say 6 months to a year to be automatically kulled from the linked device list.

In my mind its completely unlikely you will need to use more than 3 units, certainly a laptop and a phone maybe but not both.

For me, I don't know if I would bother linking my phone to dropbox for the reason I really don't need anything of that on my phone to do anything with.

I have 1 unit and 1 only on client.

Knowing what dropbox is now, I do think if I actually got into a business, I'd gofor a 5 user personal or business pack of office linked things rather than dropbox, or dropbox 1tb maybe I'd do that thats still quite cheap I guess.

On 13/04/2019 10:53 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

.

Well I was amazed on how many devices and sessions still active in my security dashboard.

6 devices, 2 of which are 1 my primary and 2 my secondary win7 box but who knows if I will ever use that for anything and even if I do, I may not sync it.

I had at least 3 others.

The first was an xp box and the other 2 were reformatted systems or systems with busted profiles no longer used.

I had 20 sessions of webbrousers open, 19 of those were old sessions why they didn't close inactives is interesting.

MOre important, its scarey to note persistance of inactive things, I mean if any of those were not mine, ...

On 14/04/2019 12:36 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi if you have an Iphone its considerably easier. I won't clutter here with it, but I just removed a computer I do not have and
a second occurrence of one I do have before I changed the password. something I cannot now do on the pc due to the problem of my computer no longer reading the log in from the desktop app.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>
This is a small warning to everyone that uses dropbox.

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Hmmm is it worth it then.

If I get more devices maybe I will have to get that though the dropbox client and website are not the most accessible.

The only reason I use it a part from the fact I have 6gb free from other sources, is that no other client is accessible.

Icloud works sort of, google drive is a joke, and I have never got onedrive at least sorted to what I would like.

Dropbox has never had to many issues but it did use to be easier in the past.

On 14/04/2019 1:24 AM, Giles Turnbull wrote:
Hi Brian,

regarding the cost of upgrading, I upgraded to a Plus account becuase I use DropBox a lot and was getting close to filling my basic subscription with a small increase in space from recommending DropBox to my mother. I get 1Tb of space and it costs ‘£79 per year ‘You’ll be charged £79.00 including applicable tax, (minus any applicable credits or promos) yearly until you cancel your subscription.’

Giles

To subscribe to the chat subgroup, send a blank email to
chat@nvda.groups.io

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/04/2019 14:44, Fernando Apan disse:

[...]

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Do you guys know if when one goes to, let’s say my Amazon Tablet, and I sign out of its Dropbox, Dropbox automatically deletes the device which one signed out of? I went into via Safari on my iPhone, to Dropbox.com/Security/Devices, and my tablet I don’t seeit there. I only see my Laptop, Iphone and Android, thus if someday I were to get an Ipad,noproblem: justsign out of my Android device,having the 3rd spacefor an Ipad, or other futuregadgetI’dget, with which to use Dropbox with.

Speaking ofwhich, anyone have invite linksfor Dropbox, toget maybe a bit more of Dropbox space? I invited my Dad, but no extra space was given at my end, nor at his! My current Dropbox space is at almost 9GB, wanting to get at least 12GB.

                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

> [...]

quite cheap I guess.

On 13/04/2019 10:53 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

> How does this affect shared folders?

> I assume if others share with you and you share with them then its no

> issue.

> So what is the system doing about people like us who used to have xp

> machines in, or our office whose account has 5 machines in use daily

> as well as one phone?

> I read the email mystified about it and wondering if it was in fact

> phishing as there have been no email warnings or anything which seems

> to me to be pretty poor practice.

> So did you find the web site  really navigable with nvda or did you

> need to go to Jaws or maybe do it on an I phone?

> How much is involved in the upgrrade I looked at this some time ago

> and the site is very hard to use and figure it out.

Gerardo Corripio

It bounced back, thus I think the right address with which to subscribe would be

• Subscribe: chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

I think you sent the Email to send to the list once subscribed.

Hope it works!

[...]

From march this year, all basic accounts are limited to 3 devices.

[...]

LOL, my bad!
You're right. This is the only and one address to subscribe.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 13/04/2019 17:10, Gerardo Corripio disse: