A question on outlook 2016

William Sallander <wsallander@...>

Hello everybody:

I’ve just started playing with NVDA on a Windows 10 machine. So far everything has been going along just fine.

I use Outlook 2016 and NVDA seems to work just fine. However, I’ve noticed that when I want to do some spell checking, I press the F7 key to start the spell correction.

NVDA will tell me that there is a spelling error, but I don’t know how to have it tell me what word is wrong.

The only way I can try and figure it out is to go to the suggestions list and try to figure it out from there.

IS THERE A KEY Stroke I can perform to get NVDA to tell me what word is wrong? Where in the documentation is or are these key strokes mentioned?

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, William,

Hit insert control D to go to document formatting. Tab to the box that says "report spelling errors" and check it with the space bar. Then tab to the ok button and hit the space bar. To save the configuration,, hit insert control C. That will save your setting.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie

On 11/12/2016 3:08 PM, William Sallander wrote:

Hello everybody:

I’ve just started playing with NVDA on a Windows 10 machine. So far everything has been going along just fine.

I use Outlook 2016 and NVDA seems to work just fine. However, I’ve noticed that when I want to do some spell checking, I press the F7 key to start the spell correction.

NVDA will tell me that there is a spelling error, but I don’t know how to have it tell me what word is wrong.

The only way I can try and figure it out is to go to the suggestions list and try to figure it out from there.

IS THERE A KEY Stroke I can perform to get NVDA to tell me what word is wrong? Where in the documentation is or are these key strokes mentioned?

Gene

The question is how to hear the misspelled word when running the spell checker, not while typing.  I'm not know if using the screen review commands can read this word.  I seem to recall this being discussed before and it was determined that the Outlook 2016 spell checker can't be used to identify the misspelled word.  I may be wrong but I have a pretty strong memory that that proved to be the case when more than one person experimented with the program.

However, if you have misspelled words flagged while typing, as you suggest, how would you then get a replacement without running the spell checker?  Can you use the context menu while on the misspelled word?

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] A question on outlook 2016

[...]

I have gone and used the arrow key to go through the document/message. When I got to a misspelled word, I did use the context menu and it worked just fine.

I will be trying out the spell check function when I go and use word. If I have to arrow down through the document, I hope I don’t have a lot of pages to go over since that will be a tedious process.

We’ll see what happens.

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:35 PM

[...]

You can, according to what I remember, use screen review commands to see the misspelled word when using the spell checker in Microsoft Word.  Again, as I recall, you can't when using Outlook 2016.  Is there any particular reason you want to use Outlook for e-mail?  There are other clients that don't have this problem.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 6:42 PM

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:35 PM

[...]

Sam Bushman

What is the best client for email? I use outlook 2016 currently but would love better solutions.

Thanks,

Sam

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 6:42 PM

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:35 PM

[...]

Hi, Sam,

I'm using mozilla thunderbird. It works great with     NVDA.

Rosemarie

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 6:42 PM

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:35 PM

[...]

I don't know if there is a best e-mail client.  Popular ones are Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird.  The newer Windows Live Mail uses ribbons, if you don't want ribbons.  the older version uses menus but someone will have to provide it for you.  I have a full installable old version but Microsoft isn't providing it any longer.  I think on this list someone recently said that the old version doesn't run in Windows 10 but I don't know if that's true.

If you want to make message rules in your e-mail program and use (IMAP, Thunderbird lets you make rules and Windows Live Mail doesn't.  Windows Live Mail is slightly more accessible in that you can arrange the order of fields and which fields are displayed from the keyboard.  Thunderbird requires using amouse or the screen-reader's mouse function and drag and drop.

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:37 PM

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 6:42 PM

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 5:35 PM

[...]

I use thunderbird, it works well and has a web interface it hardly crashes.
It uses the firefox/ chrome engine and it just works.
My issue with outlook 2016 is that it will happily lock nvda while viewing the inbox table especially with large messages or for unknown reasons.
Thunderbird just works, but on the other hand its the only client still in development that I can use right now.
If you don't care about security and want to see if it works with you, eudora 7.0 the last comercial version of eudora before it went opensource works a bit of hit and miss with nvda but will work with other things.
Thunderbird works with nvda but I am not sure about others.
I havn't needed to bother with anything else now I use thunderbird.
If you have issues with thunderbird you can try eudora ose, this is not developed anymore in fact its insecure as it uses the 3.x thunderbird engine and stopped development a year after it came on stream.
Thunderbird is like firefox, it could be outlook like but out of the box comes with a callendar app called lightning which you can turn off and mail
You can optionally add everything from add blockers through to search engines, chat services, callendars and the like but its simple out the box.
Add the modules you want.

On 13/11/2016 2:37 p.m., Sam Bushman wrote:
[...]

I really like thunderbird too. The only thing I don't know how to do is create message rules or filters with it yet.

tt

On 11/12/2016 9:38 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Some companies use Outlook due to it allowing diary entries almost automatically from specially format d emails etc.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I guess it depends what you are after, Thunderbird works in 10, as does live mail and even shock horror the inbuilt one, but I do not rate it as its a bit dumb from the filter and ability point of view, its a kind of Tonka toy email client.
I am currently using a modified version of Outlook express which I know of course. One drawback with it is that Windows when it does a major update removes it, and you have to put it back, but as long as you back up stuff it is OK.
I'm sure there are many other solutions out there.