Hemingway Editor - Command for Colors with NVDA

David Russell

Hi NVDA Group,

I am using the Hemingway Editor application, which is an editing tool
for writers.
Output is given in color schemes, and wonder what is the command to
turn on and off colors with NVDA?

I looked online but could not find the command for this. Thanks in advance.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Are you using the Desktop (installed) version of Hemingway, or the web app?   That will be the first difference that needs to be known.

Then, having looked at their webpage, are you asking for NVDA to report the background color applied by Hemingway automatically when you're moving through your document, or just to be able to order NVDA to tell you the background color on demand?  [And given the nature of Hemingway, I'm not certain that either of these may be possible depending on what it exposes to NVDA.]

           ~ Edward Abbey

David Russell

Hi Brian and others,

I am interested to use the Hemingway App on its website, once I put my
document into their editor.

I can read the summary report, but I cannot read their notations,
arranged by color as to subject, that I understand to be embedded in
the document I produce.

At one time, I worked for an organization that put their quality
assurance highlights in a similar fashion, but was using an older
version of Jaws at the time, around 2010.

I thought Hemingway may function similarly if colors function were enabled.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

I have never used NVDA to try to report background color, but I seem to recall discussions of it being able to do so for Excel cells (as well as reporting text color as well).  The exact how I do not know, and I have not found the magic search terms to pull anything up from the group archive.

The main webpage for Hemingway shows a number of blocks of text with background colors that demonstrate what the software actually does. In fact, their demo is where you paste your own text if using the web app.   I am not finding it particularly accessible, as I wasn't able to get to the various boxes giving counts, and background colors for the various things it flags, except by mousing over them.

Unfortunately the Desktop app, which is likely at least somewhat more accessible (possibly entirely accessible), costs $19.99.  I did not continue along far enough to see what, if any, refund policy they might have or if there's a fully functional demo version that will run for some short period of time.

Unless I'm missing something (and I could be) the web app on the Hemingway site has limited accessibility in terms of what one would actually be using it for (which is not exactly surprising given that the presentation is directly targeted at vision using color-coding.  Others may be able to evaluate whether it's my lack of ultra-in-depth skill with NVDA that's made me have that opinion, but I'm just not seeing this as being an easy web app/website to use.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello,

You dind colors toggle under Preferences, Settings, Document Formatting. Once there, tab six times and you're on the option you need. Check the box, and you'll get colour announcement.

hth, Ciao,

Ollie

Il 15/04/2019 20:16, David Russell ha scritto:
Hi NVDA Group,

I am using the Hemingway Editor application, which is an editing tool
for writers.
Output is given in color schemes, and wonder what is the command to
turn on and off colors with NVDA?

I looked online but could not find the command for this. Thanks in advance.

Quentin Christensen

Hi David,

I like Hemingway, although  I wish it had more keystrokes for things like jumping to the next text of concern.  Anyway, there isn't a keystroke directly to toggle reporting of colours on and off, but it is in NVDA's document formatting settings.  Press NVDA+control+d to open the document formatting settings directly.  Then, either press alt+c or tab until the you are on "color" (it's the sixth option, so not too far down).  Press spacebar to check or uncheck as desired.

Colour changes are then reported in Hemingway as you navigate or read through the text.  Note that it counts the space between sentences as having a white background, so if you have two sentences which are hard to read it will note the change to the background between sentences.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:16 AM David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
Hi NVDA Group,

I am using the Hemingway Editor application, which is an editing tool
for writers.
Output is given in color schemes, and wonder what is the command to
turn on and off colors with NVDA?

I looked online but could not find the command for this. Thanks in advance.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Hi David,

I just replied to another message on this query.  In short, press NVDA+control+d to open NVDA's document formatting, TAB to "color" and spacebar to select then ENTER to press OK.  Colour changes should be reported as you navigate or read the text.

Quentin.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:13 AM David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Brian,

Yes NVDA reports background colour changes.  In Hemingway the text stays black and it is the background colour which changes so that is useful.  The desktop app works ok as a very basic text editor and you can have NVDA report colour changes.  There is a panel on the right which indicates how many of each issue type it has located, but the only way I've found to get there is with object navigation.  It also seems a curious exclusion that there is no keystroke to jump to the next issue.  Finally, it has a traditional looking menu... but you again, you can't get to it with regular keyboard navigation.

So, all in all, much as I like the ability to pick up on basic potential readability issues, Hemingway definitely has issues.

Quentin.