OCR feature of NVDA seems to only work on visible portion of a graphic

Rick

Hello NVDA Group:

Earlie this week, I received an email, which I opened in the desktop version of Outlook 365, that contained a graphic of a screenshot full of text. With my laptop undocked, I performed OCR using NVDA+R on the graphic and read the contents. Later that day, with my laptop in a docking station, which is connected to a low resolution, large-screen monitor, I performed the same OCR function. Fewer lines of text were available, leading me to believe that the OCR is being performed on the visible portion of the graphic and not on the entire graphic itself.

As a blind user, I have no idea of how much of a graphic is visible, so if this is the case, I consider this a significant problem. Could someone please confirm whether my assumption is correct?

Thanks, Rick

Ian Blackburn

You are correct it only recognises the visible image which if the whole image isn’t on the screen it won’t get the whole image so therefore it is not looking at the actual file
Regards Ian

On 19 Apr 2019, at 8:32 am, Rick <softwarethatworks@...> wrote:

Hello NVDA Group:

Earlie this week, I received an email, which I opened in the desktop version of Outlook 365, that contained a graphic of a screenshot full of text. With my laptop undocked, I performed OCR using NVDA+R on the graphic and read the contents. Later that day, with my laptop in a docking station, which is connected to a low resolution, large-screen monitor, I performed the same OCR function. Fewer lines of text were available, leading me to believe that the OCR is being performed on the visible portion of the graphic and not on the entire graphic itself.

As a blind user, I have no idea of how much of a graphic is visible, so if this is the case, I consider this a significant problem. Could someone please confirm whether my assumption is correct?

Thanks, Rick

If you want file OCR, if it is a PDF, open it in Microsoft word 2016, if it is an image, import the picture to One Note, wait a few minutes, and then hit shift F10. Then hit copy text from image. Don't use the NVDA OCR at all if you want it to OCR the file, regardless of screen resolution. The copy text from image button is only in the One Note app for windows 10.