Topics

Questions about Browsers and NVDA

Sam Bushman

Hi All,

I am working with a system called SpeakAp.com

It’s an intranet for companies. When I am in internet explorer the links are labled and all is well. When I am in chrome nothing is labeled. Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks,

Sam

Sometimes, different browsers behave in different ways even the website being the same. I find it to be very common nowadays.

I suggest you to use what suits you better. It's?? probably IE, in the case.

Another thing that occurred to me as I was writing this is that said website can be programmed using "old coding" or something like that and that's why IE behaves better with it.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 24/04/2019 20:22, Sam Bushman disse:

Hi All,

??

I am working with a system called SpeakAp.com

It???s an intranet for companies. When I am in internet explorer the links are labled and all is well. When I am in chrome nothing is labeled. Any ideas how to solve this?

??

Thanks,

Sam

??

Sam,

            What happens in Firefox or Edge?    Also, do you have any idea what the age of that system happens to be?  The latter question is because if the web app is of a certain age, they could have used all sorts of HTML extensions that were exclusive to IE that never made it out to other browsers, and there were a lot of them.  I imagine NVDA will be carrying anything along related to IE that was written during the time when those extensions were still being pushed by Microsoft.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Sam Bushman

>What happens in Firefox or Edge

Same thing as Chrome – unlabeled buttons and links. Just says button or link over and over. IE recognizes the links and buttons to be what they truly are. I think the site is quite modern – Facebook timeline runs the bulk of the site. Not sure from a back end coding point of view though.

I will load up the dreaded Shark and see what happens.

Thanks,

Sam

            What happens in Firefox or Edge?    Also, do you have any idea what the age of that system happens to be?  The latter question is because if the web app is of a certain age, they could have used all sorts of HTML extensions that were exclusive to IE that never made it out to other browsers, and there were a lot of them.  I imagine NVDA will be carrying anything along related to IE that was written during the time when those extensions were still being pushed by Microsoft.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Sam Bushman

Hi All,

Ok, IE works great with both NVDA and other screen reader Jaws. Modern browsers show unlabeled buttons, links and, clickables.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

           Getting the same "non-result" in all browsers other than IE strongly suggests to me that the site in question (or at least the part you're trying to work with) was written extensively using IE HTML extensions.   If that's the case, while you may get different results with JAWS, it will probably not be satisfactory, either, particularly if you're using an up-to-date version.

            If that's the case, and the company in question cares about accessibility, they're going to have to review that code and eliminate non-standard HTML extensions.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Sam Bushman

Yes sir, understand. I just tried it in narrator and same results – I think that makes your point.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 08:03 PM, Sam Bushman wrote:
Yes sir, understand. I just tried it in narrator and same results – I think that makes your point.
Also, if you attempt to push this, definitely make a point of the fact that this is eventually going to mean that their web code will probably break, at least in modern browsers.   IE is in its death throes, and has been for some time.   No one that cares about the ongoing viability of their websites/web apps will ignore the fact that using now-ancient IE HTML extensions is a sure way to eventually cause failure.   It's also bad, of course, for accessibility, but you know that this will not be the primary concern, and you have a very solid card to play along with the accessibility card.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Sam Bushman

Great points, thank you Brian.

I actually have a listening ear at the company at this point. Not sure how responsive they will be over time but we shall see.

Thanks again,

Sam

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 08:03 PM, Sam Bushman wrote:

Yes sir, understand. I just tried it in narrator and same results – I think that makes your point.

Also, if you attempt to push this, definitely make a point of the fact that this is eventually going to mean that their web code will probably break, at least in modern browsers.   IE is in its death throes, and has been for some time.   No one that cares about the ongoing viability of their websites/web apps will ignore the fact that using now-ancient IE HTML extensions is a sure way to eventually cause failure.   It's also bad, of course, for accessibility, but you know that this will not be the primary concern, and you have a very solid card to play along with the accessibility card.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That on the face of it sounds daft, so the question really is, what exactly is this intranet doing, if its detecting the browser it may have been written so long ago, when everyone use IE it does not know what to do on other browsers.

It should not be that specific though, assuming the html is written correctly of course.
If this is windows 10, can Narrator read the page in all settings?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I am working with a system called SpeakAp.com

It's an intranet for companies. When I am in internet explorer the links are
labled and all is well. When I am in chrome nothing is labeled. Any ideas
how to solve this?

Thanks,

Sam

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have not yet seen the missing bits between this post and the first one, but I now would say that somehow part of that site has not been written to modern specs. Might try running the Jaws accessibility tool over the site in the latest version of Edge which is based on Chrome for more ammunition if you need to raise this to your admin.