i really need some help with sound

Darren Harris

Hi all,

A couple things.

firstly am using the real tech audio drivers for the built in sound on the motherboard of my laptop.

I’ve encountered a strange intermittent issue. Every so often I’ve had a problem whereby I’ll be using the laptop and then NVDA will go all crackly. The only way I’ve been able to solve it thus far is to restart the whole thing. Luckily it doesn’t happen that often but when it does it’s most annoying.

The second thing is that every so often and this is regular the soundcard will just switch off. I have my laptop plugged into a bos soundlink mini 2 and after a while unless there’s sound going through it the  laptop sound seems to switch off which results in the speaker turning off. At first I thought it was NVDA being weird but it isn’t. if anybody could assist me with either issues then I would indeed be grateful.

Many thanks.

Em 26/04/2019 03:37, Darren Harris via Groups.Io disse:
The second thing is that every so often and this is regular the soundcard will just switch off. I have my laptop plugged into a bos soundlink mini 2 and after a while unless there???s sound going through it the ??laptop sound seems to switch off which results in the speaker turning off. At first I thought it was NVDA being weird but it isn???t.
Darren,
Maybe this problem can be solved with a small application called Silenzio.
It will play continually a WAV file, which will not let your soundcard sleep.
Believe it made my life easier when I found out about this little friend.
Here's the link if you want to try it out. Just install and run it and see the results!
http://www.stefankiss.sk/programy/silenzio/Silenzio_1.0_setup.exe

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Oh, I forgot to mention:
Don't worry about it playing continually the WAV file. This is an absolutely silent file which wil just make sure of not letting your soundcard sleep. You'll not hear anything during this, you'll not even notice the program running.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 26/04/2019 04:48, marcio via Groups.Io disse:

[...]

Ok so I’ve installed it and ran it. So do I need to do anything else to it?

[...]

Alina

Thanks for this Marcio.

I too seem to have these issues on my laptop. But in my case, I only have to restart NVDA so that speech would come back. Still annoying though.

I've connected a USB sound card, which doesn't seem to sleep :) (I mean, which seems to resolve the issue), but still, I have to use the internal sound card at times, so hopefully this program will help.

Thanks again.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16

On 26/04/2019 09:48, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Not at all.
Are you still experiencing the situation described on your first message after installing it?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 26/04/2019 03:59, Darren Harris via Groups.Io disse:

Ok so I???ve installed it and ran it. So do I need to do anything else to it?

??

[...]

I hope this helps you out with this annoyance.
Let me know if it does.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 26/04/2019 05:20, Alina disse:

[...]

I’ll have to stop using it for a while and see. I’ll give about 10 15 minutes then I’ll let you know and write back.

[...]

Luke Davis

You mention using a "bos soundlink mini 2", by which I assume you mean the "bose soundlink mini 2", which is an external bluetooth speaker which I gather you are connecting by 8th-inch cable?
If that is the case: do either of these things happen if you just use the laptop's built-in speakers?

The suggestion you already received for Silenzio will likely solve your second problem, as this is common with bluetooth speakers which are designed to conserve power by not playing noise below a certain threshold (I.E. silence).

However, your first "crackling" issue could be something else, and I have experienced something along those lines.

The next time you experience the crackling, can you test by switching to the laptop's internal speakers, and see if it is still happening?

If it is, try plugging in some unpowered headphones or earbuds, and see if you are still getting the crackling.
Actually, try that either way, then go back to the Bose. Report what happened at each stage.

How bad is this crackling? Can you record an audio sample of several seconds of it, possibly contrasted with normal sounding speech? What synth are you using?

Luke

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019, Darren Harris via Groups.Io wrote:

firstly am using the real tech audio drivers for the built in sound on the motherboard of my laptop.
I’ve encountered a strange intermittent issue. Every so often I’ve had a problem whereby I’ll be using the laptop and then NVDA will go all crackly. The
only way I’ve been able to solve it thus far is to restart the whole thing. Luckily it doesn’t happen that often but when it does it’s most annoying.
The second thing is that every so often and this is regular the soundcard will just switch off. I have my laptop plugged into a bos soundlink mini 2 and
after a while unless there’s sound going through it the  laptop sound seems to switch off which results in the speaker turning off. At first I thought it
was NVDA being weird but it isn’t. if anybody could assist me with either issues then I would indeed be grateful.

Alina

Marcio,

It definitely does!

I didn't mention it before, but the thing is, I use the USB sound card with a recording program, and set NVDA to speak through the internal one.

At first, it didn't work as I wanted, because the USB sound card was set as the default in Windows Sound Settings, so, Silenzio was playing the WAV file through the default one.

Then, while I was on the system tray looking for Speakers, for going into Sound Settings, I came across Silenzio. I right clicked on it to see what it does, and I managed to set it to the internal sound card, and it seems to work!

Well, that's all from me on this topic, I don't want to get OT, but just wanted to let you know it works for me!

Thanks again for the application.

On 26/04/2019 10:21, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Yes I'm using the bose speaker connected via cable. The sound on it is
really good but Bluetooth really does make it laggy which I can't help but
find annoying.

When this happens again (should I remember) I'll test as you suggested and
report back. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a pattern that I
can work out to determine when the crackly sound happens.

[...]

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi Darren.

Another suggestion to rule out NVDA could be to try playing music whilst the crackling is taking place. It could be a driver issue, though windows is usually pretty good about keeping your drivers up to date. I hope this email reaches you. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to get in touch directly off list.

Very best wishes,

Mo.

On 26/04/2019 09:46, Darren Harris via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Glad it worked for you! I hope it works for Darren as well.
It's a really nice application. I couldn't use my computer without this one anymore!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 26/04/2019 06:44, Alina disse:

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Do let us know if this stops the sleep issue. I have some friends with this problem, and I was chatting to somebody about an I phone with a similar problem on blue tooth and apparently they have a similar utility to stop that cutting off the start as well. maybe its endemic in some hardware.
As for the crackling well, normally I only see that if the machine is struggling ie using virtual memory on a physical hard drive. This tends to mean either the processor ram or the ram or even the clocking speed is not fast enough to keep up.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/coolbutpsycho>

[...]

Kevin Cussick

I am correct in thinking if this works for him he will have to run the little exe file each time he restarts the computer?

On 26/04/2019 08:51, marcio via Groups.I wrote:
[...]

Not really.
This is the file for installing the program, so it only needs to be installed once :)
Now, he can very well starts the program separately from Windows, which means that he'll have to run it each time Windows starts, or he can just do what I do and check the option for this program to start along with the Windows itself.
The latter really makes life easier and doesn't slow down the computer in any way that I could notice, so that's what I recommend doing :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 26/04/2019 18:51, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io disse:

[...]

Curtis Delzer

there is a little utility which will keep your speakers working though you don't hear the action called silenzio.

Just install it and it will keep your speakers happy though you don't hear what it is doing.

Here is a link to it.

https://od.lk/d/NjRfMTEwOTM5Mjhf/Silenzio.exe

 Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

On 4/25/2019 11:37 PM, Darren Harris via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

thanks, this is what I would do.