Topics

locked NVDA add on's RSS feed.

Edited

This RSS feed will show you new add ons published but it will not group
add ons by last updated. To check for updates, get the add on updater.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.rss

Add ons are posted manually to this list as well. Mods have not integrated the feed into this group, so subscribe to the feed above.

Sarah k Alawami

Can someone integrate that into groups.io? That is can someone add that integration?

Take care

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 28 Apr 2019, at 11:14, Robert Kingett wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Included the RSS feed.]

This RSS feed will show you new add ons published but it will not group
add ons by last updated. To check for updates, get the add on updater.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.rss

Add ons are posted manually to this list as well. Mods have not integrated the feed into this group, so subscribe to the feed above.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 03:55 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Can someone integrate that [RSS feed from NVAccess] into groups.io? That is can someone add that integration?
This is, at the very least, conceptually possible.  I would suggest writing to the Group Owner address, nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io if you wish to formally propose it or discuss it further.   I have no idea how Nimer would feel about this, I only want people to know that such functionality already exists as part of the Groups.io web interface and, I believe, those messages get sent out to e-mail users as well.

           ~ Edward Abbey

While we are on this (and I know it's not an NVDA thing, just thought I'd ask on this thread):
Is there any way of getting a certain RSS from a website?
For instance I have the www.thisisacool.site.
I want to get the RSS (that is, the link for this RSS), of course assuming this site has one.
Then what should I do to get it?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 28/04/2019 15:14, Robert Kingett disse:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Included the RSS feed.]

This RSS feed will show you new add ons published but it will not group
add ons by last updated. To check for updates, get the add on updater.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.rss

Add ons are posted manually to this list as well. Mods have not integrated the feed into this group, so subscribe to the feed above.

Edited

The only web browser that can find and display RSS feeds as a page is FireFox E SR edition. Otherwise, you would have to fiddle with the URL and use a third party RSS reader or an add on for the non E S R version of FireFox. Mozilla claims very few people used the live bookmarks functionality, but the internet has been trying to slowly kill RSS feeds for a while so people have no choice but to subscribe to spammy email lists. Edge does not support finding RSS feeds as far as I know. Chrome does not either, as far as I know. The ESR version of FireFox is the only browser left that can find RSS feeds and display them as a page. To find an RSS feed in FF ESR, do the following. Go to the page or blog in question. Go to your bookmarks menu. Go down until you hear, live bookmarks, expand that menu. Select the feed you want from the resulting list.

Too bad I'm not using the ESR version. And I do use Thunderbird as my RSS reader, but ya know, whitout feed addresses it won't do any good.

Thanks anyway :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 30/04/2019 10:40, Robert Kingett disse:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Included steps on how to get the RSS feed in FF.]

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 09:56 AM, marcio wrote:
And I do use Thunderbird as my RSS reader, but ya know, whitout feed addresses it won't do any good.
Marcio,

           You absolutely deserve this snarky response:  "Google is your friend."

           I have used several search engines and searching on the entity name and RSS has either gotten me the RSS link or taken me to the organizations page under which the RSS link can be obtained (which seems to be Podcasts on a number of them).

           This is not rocket science, and it's exactly what web search engines were created for and do best.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Brian,
Thanks for the answer!
Again, too bad that I'm not smart enough to do everything you do :)
Now, be sure that I haven't posted it here without making any heffort to find RSS addresses. And well, I found some of them, but it's not always that a website show this option.
But then, as I said, it's just that I'm not smart enough. :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 30/04/2019 11:31, Brian Vogel disse:

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 10:42 AM, marcio wrote:
But then, as I said, it's just that I'm not smart enough. :)
Sorry, buster, but that one won't fly!

           ~ Edward Abbey

Gene

You can use the portable version of Firefox whatever ESR version supports this functionality for that specific purpose.  You can use whatever version you use aside from that for general browsing.

Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA add on's RSS feed.

[...]

Oh, that's true!
I always forget about portable programs. I'll look for it next time I need any RSS address.

Thanks for the friendly reminder!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 30/04/2019 11:53, Gene disse:

You can use the portable version of Firefox whatever ESR version supports this functionality for that specific purpose.?? You can use whatever version you use aside from that for general browsing.
??
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:39 AM

--

Brian??-??Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit,??Version 1809, Build 17763????

???????????????????? ~ Edward Abbey

??

??

Kwork

And, with that bit of flaming from a member of the moderation team towards a user, I'm gone.

Belittling and discouraging should never be in fashion.

Thanks to all kind people for their help and encouragement when assisting others in learning and using NVDA.

Take care all.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 03:21 PM, Kwork wrote:

And, with that bit of flaming from a member of the moderation team towards a user, I'm gone.

Belittling and discouraging should never be in fashion.

Truly, and entirely in public, "Oh, grow up!"

You also have no idea, none whatsoever, of the private correspondence I have had with this member, and that what you consider "belittling" is nothing more than ribbing in fun.

And, by the way, I do expect people to be doing web searches before imposing on the time of hundreds of people in asking questions that are answered by doing one then about 2 minutes to scan the top results.   There is a reason that the guideline about doing an archive search and/or web search was included:  too many people don't do 'em, and it's basic netiquette to do so before ever posting to a mailing list or forum.

I'm tired of people expecting apologies or hand-holding for basic internet skills when they are not new to the internet.  When they are, and indicate such, they'll get all the hand-holding and guidance they need, plus more.  Otherwise, do your due diligence first.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Nimer Jaber

hello,

I have seen more members subscribe than leave. If you would like to follow Qwork out the door, please do so and please don't advertise it.

Thanks.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 1:31 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
[...]

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Rosemarie Chavarria

Brian,

You forget that not everybody is on the same level as you when it comes to learning. Some people don’t know how to do a proper search for something because they haven’t been trained properly. I can understand doing a search for something but if they can’t find the results for something, isn’t that what a list is all about—helping each other? I won’t say anything more.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 05:21 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Some people don’t know how to do a proper search for something because they haven’t been trained properly. I can understand doing a search for something but if they can’t find the results for something, isn’t that what a list is all about—helping each other?
Then, Rosemarie, they need to ask how to do so.   I am not willing to believe that people who are on mailing lists and have been for years have never bothered to learn how to do a web search, and if they haven't, this is putting them on notice that they need to, now.

Anyone who wants instruction on doing so will gladly be provided it by myself or any number of others on the group.

I am unwilling to buy into the premise that I should assume that most people who frequent here are completely incapable of basic internet skills.  The presumption should be that they are capable, and if they're not then they'll ask for help.  It is that simple.

As I said earlier, this isn't rocket science, and it's a skill that any user of the internet, blind, sighted, or anything in between must have or be willing to acquire.  It very simply goes with the territory.

           ~ Edward Abbey

Sarah k Alawami

I agree, either google or get out.

On 30 Apr 2019, at 13:31, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Tomy midn a list shoudl be for askign for help if you did all the troubleshooting your self. That and nothingn more. I expect everyone myself included to troubleshoot and if they can't or won't learn that is not my problem, that is the person learning. If they cannot lear or don't want to they dont' really deserve my help or time or frustrations. Tke the time to practice your skill(s) and don't waist my time if you are not willing to practice or learn on your own.

On 30 Apr 2019, at 14:21, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

[...]

Laz

I think if you look you'll actually see that whether sighted or blind
a lot of people do not have very good searching/browsing skills and
prefer to just send an email message to a list where they believed
they would receive help. And as long as it's on topic for this list
why give them a harder time about it? Just provide the necessary help
to move them along at their pace closer to optimum skill level. It
doesn't hurt to show some empathy towards the blind who do have it a
bit harder than the sighted.

Laz

[...]

*Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.*

~ Edward Abbey

This topic has begun to stray very, very far away from the core purpose of this group.   It is now locked.

Should anyone wish to extend it, please do so on the chat subgroup:
If there are ever any serious concerns about moderation those should be taken up via the conventional avenue:  mailing the owner on nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io.
My style of being blunt when bluntness is called for is not going to change, nor is my style of being patient and gentle when that's called for.   Neither is appropriate all the time.

           ~ Edward Abbey