Topics

Owner's Notes: Updated Rules #adminnotice

Nimer Jaber

Hello NVDA List members,

In the past, I have found myself reluctant to lock threads. I wanted to have a place where members were able to communicate in a respectful way, while minding the purpose of the list, respecting the moderators, one another, and the community at large, and a list with order. I believed that locking threads was counter-productive. If I am the best that I can be at leading, I am most effective in the background, guiding here and there when necessary, but generally allowing conversations to die out, and believing that when it is requested that a thread end, the thread would do so.

Today and over the past few days, I have observed that this actually has not been the case, and actually this has been going on longer than that. I have asked for threads to be closed, and yet they continued. Brian has asked for topics to end, and they have continued. When those topics were locked, members blatantly disregarded the instruction in favor of creating a new topic. This is unacceptable and must stop now.

As we have given guidelines for what is considered to be on topic and what is considered to be off topic, as we have done our best to clarify the rules over the past month without too much enforcement, As many list members have stepped forward to take discussions off this list and onto the chat list as requested, it is my belief that the days of not understanding the culture shift are over. If you are a user with chronic email delivery issues, at this point I would tell you that this list may not be for you, and you would do best unsubscribing. If you are willing to take suggested actions in resolving the problem and you are willing to work with me and Brian directly in solving the troubles, you are welcome to stay in hopes of working through the issues. If you get a different email provider, you are welcome to stay. Otherwise, feel free to leave. If you missed an announcement and reply to an email just to receive a notice that the topic has been locked, and then start a new thread anyway, I have no compassion for that. If this is something that was extraordinary, if you apologize and we see that you do not have a habit of this type of behavior, please disregard this notice as this does not apply to you, and we will, of course, work with you in an understanding way. If, however, you are one of the individuals who is always starting new threads, you are being put on notice: From this point forward, members of the list who insist on opening new topics or arguing publicly with moderators will have their posting privileges revoked for a period no less than seven days for the first time, 30 days for the second time, and perminently for the 3rd time. I welcome individuals writing to the owner email address with concerns or comments, I welcome members asking permission to reopen a locked thread with something pertinent, I welcome members flagging a thread which we closed which actually should remain open. i do not welcome it in the public space where the thousand list members have to read it, and I don't welcome threads being reopened when it has been asked that they be closed and they've been locked.

Brian has, and continues to have my full support. He is following my directives about the list direction, and we find ourselves in complete agreement with the direction we intend to take this list. As we have a thousand members on this list, the days of many off-topic messages and threads going on for 50 or more emails are, for the most part, over. I ask you to very kindly show him respect for volunteering to moderate this list. I ask that if you have problems with his moderation style, with anything he says, or with how he responds to a thread, please write to the owner email address, or to me personally at nimerjaber1@... and I will work together with Brian to rectify your concerns as possible and practical.

I still hope that our community will continue to thrive and grow, and all of you will continue to ask wonderful questions about NVDA, and answer questions as well. I hope that we can do this in a respectful, and thoughtful way.

If you have questions, please let me know and I will respond to you promptly. Thank you very much for being part of this list, and I hope that you will continue to walk down this road with all of us. However, should you choose to leave as a result of my email, please do not announce it to the list. Leave and best of luck to you. we welcome you with open arms should you choose to return.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Well just as long as it doesn't go the way of some forums I am on.

We are usually a good bunch, no lost tempers, no bann evaders no troublemakers that spend the time bitching about their banns.

I do think that the chat group should take the spillovers.

Saying this I don't usually respond to mail as such because its usually done outside my timezone unless, I do a topic just before I go to bed so it has a few hours air time before it gets to large for itself.

At one stage I thought nvda should have a forum but a lot of spambots lerk on forums.