question from a new NVDA user

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I've had NVDA installed for a while now but I'm just getting around to possibly starting to use it.

I've been using jaws for years and when it speaks it comes through my external speakers that are plugged into my laptop via the USB port because the earphone jack doesn't work, but I started NVDA yesterday and the voice was coming through the laptop's internal speaker, and it was very low as well. How do I fix this so it comes through my external speakers as well?

Btw strangely enough, I opened the NVDA preferences and changed the Eloquence voice I was using and it immediately got louder although it was still coming through the laptop and not the external speakers. Also, after making changes in preferences I hit the okay button but it didn't take me out of preferences. I got out of preferences by hitting alt-f4 but when I did that the volume of the voice went back down again.

One more thing, when I started NVDA yesterday the volume was so low that I couldn't really hear it but it sounded like it was offering me an NVDA update. I have no idea if it was installed though because since I couldn't really hear what it was saying I couldn't really tell what option I chose when it offered me the update.

Any help with any of this will be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,
Press nvda-control-s, tab once and choose your soundcard where you want the output going to.

Cheers,
Ralf

[...]

Gene

Your discussion of the version of Eloquence you are using indicates that it is one of the illegal add-on versions.  The list doesn't support illegal software and won't answer questions about how to use it.

As for your other question, open the voice settings.  You can use control NVDA key v.

Tab around and you will get to a combo box where you adjust the setting for the sound card that should be used by the voice.  Set it for the one you want.

I'll add that what I said is not supporting or helping with an illegal add-on because what I explained applies to any voice you use.

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 9:11 AM
To: NVDA

[...]

I need to correct my last message.  The setting to change the soundcard used by NVDA is in synthesizer settings.  You can open them with control NVDA key s.  Then tab to the combo box and make the adjustment.

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 9:11 AM
To: NVDA

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes the problem often with the illegal hacked version is that it does do some very peculiar stuff. Best avoided. On the level issue it sounds like you did not save the settings after setting them to me. I think a few minutes spent in the preferences tab moving around to see what is there and how it all works will solve a lot of these issues for you. Nothing like playing with the thing until you become happy.
As has been said here a lot of this is in the help sections and I fully realise that if you cannot hear what is going on its as useful as a chocolate teapot, but its a catch 22 situation so please have a play and don't get disheartened there is logic there!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-